TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt *SHREDDER*

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ( Molding a Sai )

WOah thats is AWSOME!

Thanks

I have used Dragon skin before along with a few close friends of mine. I, and they, have done it with out degassing. Def saves some cash, and worst case is you'll notice micro air bubbles in your casting but you really need to inspect it to notice. Are your pouring or injecting???

I will be pouring most likely. I want the castings to not only come out looking nice but also have some longevity to them. If the degassing also helps insure they will last I'm willing to spend the money, just don't necessarily want to.

So would you recommend using Dragon skin for this project?
Thanks

Well I pulled my first casts today!

The sculpt wasn't perfect to begin with so I will have to do some finish work on both of them, but here are the SAIS!

397bbad1.jpg

9b5d70df.jpg

3dd6822e.jpg

Will start the molding process for the head and arms next week and hopefully have a pull by the end of the week. This is starting to be fun!

Thanks

I will be pouring most likely. I want the castings to not only come out looking nice but also have some longevity to them. If the degassing also helps insure they will last I'm willing to spend the money, just don't necessarily want to.

So would you recommend using Dragon skin for this project?
Thanks
I would ! I've used it multiple times. I"m in the process of making a pull over silicone mask for a music video and thats what i'm using ( dragon skin pro; it cures faster). Just a tip. If you molding in plaster ( I don't remember if you mentioned that already) just watch out for moisture in the mold. The rubber will NOT cure. Myself , and a few fx buddies have run into this problem and had to learn the hard way. Waste of material. Stick you molds in the oven at 200 degrees for about an hour. Shut off the oven and leave it in there for another 2 hours to slowly cool down. Again, this applies if your using plaster.
-Mark

p.s. project is looking great!

I would ! I've used it multiple times. I"m in the process of making a pull over silicone mask for a music video and thats what i'm using ( dragon skin pro; it cures faster). Just a tip. If you molding in plaster ( I don't remember if you mentioned that already) just watch out for moisture in the mold. The rubber will NOT cure. Myself , and a few fx buddies have run into this problem and had to learn the hard way. Waste of material. Stick you molds in the oven at 200 degrees for about an hour. Shut off the oven and leave it in there for another 2 hours to slowly cool down. Again, this applies if your using plaster.
-Mark

p.s. project is looking great!

Thanks Mark for the heads up, but I'm using SMOOTHON products rebound 25 and plasti-paste for my molds. It's nice to hear that you do recommend the dragon-skin! I hope to maybe finish the arm molds on Friday and have a pull out by the end of the weekend.

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ( First SAIS casts)

With the home remodel we are currently doing and Father's day, didn't get any real progress on the project. But keeping anyone who follows along updated, here's a shot of the molding process

66a3cad4.jpg

See Ya RPF'ers

Quality!

The whole thing is just brilliant! Lovely work on the face sculpts! I'd say they should have waited to use you for the films, but then I'd have been too old to have caught the need to "dress like a Ninja and kick things"-thing, then the desire to do karate, then taijutsu, then ninjutsu, then Japanese "koryu" bujutsu, then the desire to come to Japan to do it, and I'd have missed the last 9 years I've spent in Japan training in classical Japanese martial arts (koryu)!!!

So what I'm saying is, it's a GREAT cast, and even better NOW!! :lol

Oh, the plural for all Japanese words is the same as the singular, so "Sai" stay "Sai", even when there's two of em'! Not "Sais"...(Although the words actually Okinawan, not strictly "Japanese"...But that's a little more info than any of us need!!)...

Great stuff! Please keep up with the photos! I'm loving them!:)

Last edited:

WOW!!!!!!!! brings back sooo much memories back in the 90's!! I still have the TMNT movie collection and soundtrack!!

Thanks Ben!
Your knowledge of the Japanese and their culture is pretty cool. Now I know that there is no change from singular to plural, learn something every day!

Thank you also Hanzo!
I have been watching the TMNT movie collection like a broken record!

With every person's kind words it inspires me to work harder on this project. So thank you everyone!

Today I had a couple of hours to work on the project. Finished the other half of the jacket shell and got one leg lifecast ready to start sculpting on!

b234d008.jpg

Later RPF'ers

WOW! Deric this is serious stuff man...

This project of yours simply shows how dedicated and talented you are, and I admire every bit of it :)... Excellent work dude...(y)thumbsup

I guess your room looks like a small satellite work shop of Stan Winston studios... LOL:lol:thumbsup

I also been wanting to get my hands on this clay thing but haven't find time yet and I'm not sure if I have the patience for it...:unsure

You're doing great and keep it up!... more photos please :)

cheers!

Thanks pRoJectEarth7 !

I'll try to keep it up to date with photos! You continue to blow my mind with your innovativeness with each of your IM projects! With your skills you could do wonders with some clay, but your also amazing in the mediums you already use!

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ( HELP w/ cut seam)

Got the jacket shell split and back off of the silicone mold.

19c7ef3f.jpg

Now I need to cut a seam up the silicone mold so I can remove the sculpt and begin molding with dragon skin (silicone rubber).

So below is a picture of the arm below with a back profile (left) and a side profile (right).
3ff83e36.jpg

HELP
Any recommendations from experienced molder makers out there? Keep in mind that the jacket splits alone the sides forming a two part jacket (front and back).

As soon as this is done I should have a pull out in no time!!!

Thanks RPF'ers for your help!

Oh, the plural for all Japanese words is the same as the singular, so "Sai" stay "Sai", even when there's two of em'! Not "Sais"...(Although the words actually Okinawan, not strictly "Japanese"...But that's a little more info than any of us need!!)...

LOL I just had to give a "good on ya" for this. :thumbsup Now can you also please slap everyone who says "Ninjas"?

OP - I don't know if I read anywhere in the thread, but is there a specific reason you're not just using real sai? Scale is right... Not to knock your sculpt of them or anything.

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ( HELP w/ cut seam)

Well I just finished my first pull..... and its the last for that mold, crap!
The print coat of rebound 25 was pealing away from the rest of the rebound 25 as if there was some inhibited curing??

I went ahead and used the mold and figured I would test the rest of the process.
Here is the results. It did a good job of picking up all the texture.

7024abaf.jpg

4428e8a4.jpg

baa076e7.jpg

1ff9bbe3.jpg

Have learned from the process and hope to fix the problems. So I will keep the sculpt from this mold and repair it and try again later. Next, will be trying a cast of the other arm. HOPE IT WORKS BETTER!!!!

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ( RIGHT ARM CAST)

Just some pic's of work going on today...

f3aa4309.jpg

da106849.jpg

a49697eb.jpg

d04c94c0.jpg

17e8f56a.jpg

Any critiques are welcome, especially in the early stages.. hahahaa

Looks so good man, I can't wait to see the head cast! Shame about the mold though. The only two things I could think of making the cast do that is A) How long did you let the sillicone cure up for before appliing the next layer? or B) I know ANY kind of latex will make sillicone go all funky, even really small amounts. Keep it up man!

Last edited:

Looking awesome man! I'm an experience mold maker if you have any questions shoot me a message. I'm looking forward to seeing more! Question: When you filled your mold with dragon skin did you just pour it in and slosh it around? Looks like the casting came our great!

Looks so good man, I can't wait to see the head cast! Shame about the mold though. The only two things I could think of making the cast do that is A) How long did you let the sillicone cure up for before appliing the next layer? or B) I know ANY kind of latex will make sillicone go all funky, even really small amounts. Keep it up man!

I think the problem came form a pair of latex gloves that I wore. I grabbed a pair of gloves from the wrong box and that might of caused it... At least I hope that is what the cause was!

Looking awesome man! I'm an experience mold maker if you have any questions shoot me a message. I'm looking forward to seeing more! Question: When you filled your mold with dragon skin did you just pour it in and slosh it around? Looks like the casting came our great!

Thank you, and I'm sure I will and when I do, I'll send ya a PM. Yes I did as a slush cast. I spent roughly 20 minutes slowly spinning the mold to ensure an even coating with minimal air trapment.

In other news, progress hit a speed bump as we remodeled our home the past few weeks. But, its finished and its time to get back to work.

Here is what I know call my STUDIO! hahaa
4daa3107.jpg

15aac4d0.jpg

924ad154.jpg

0d9156b9.jpg

And as you can see in the last pic, I have started the upper legs!
8e791de8.jpg

And the right leg is near complete
98032a80.jpg

b9f25d39.jpg

d0a3cf6b.jpg

I have also repaired the right arm and will begin to mold it again soon.
Can't wait to start molding the head!!!

Have considered starting a new thread in the Replica Costume thread, because this is really what I think it is, even though there is sculpting? Does anyone agree?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back