TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt *SHREDDER*

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ( 3 pieces ready for mold )

You should do a mock up of Raphs turtle sized sais! Everything is looking really good so far man, you should definately make sure you have your molding skills down. So I would suggest starting with a weapon, then the arms and then moving on to the head - you know people are going to want a run of these pieces! I have a good few behind the scenes photos that show different aspects of their suits (neck, shell upper arms ect.). They aren't mine to post so I will pm them to you tomorrow when I am at my computer.

You should do a mock up of Raphs turtle sized sais! Everything is looking really good so far man, you should definately make sure you have your molding skills down. So I would suggest starting with a weapon, then the arms and then moving on to the head - you know people are going to want a run of these pieces! I have a good few behind the scenes photos that show different aspects of their suits (neck, shell upper arms ect.). They aren't mine to post so I will pm them to you tomorrow when I am at my computer.

I was thinking the same thing on the sais! Can't wait to look over the photos! EXCITED

For anyone checking up on this thread... Does any one know the dimensions of Raphael's sais? I have looked and no answer so far, but I'll keep lookin

They are pretty big, maybe try referencong from the scene where April picks up raphs sai, or when she pulls it on the foot in the subway. Or you could try reference off your turtle hands to Raphs hands and gain sizing from there?

They are pretty big, maybe try referencong from the scene where April picks up raphs sai, or when she pulls it on the foot in the subway. Or you could try reference off your turtle hands to Raphs hands and gain sizing from there?

Well that's exactly what I will do then!

Im working on a head too but have no reference to scale. Yours looks like the dimensions are good in relation to the arms. Can you hit me up with measurements, ill open a thread in next fews days once ive got the shape and size correct.

Im working on a head too but have no reference to scale. Yours looks like the dimensions are good in relation to the arms. Can you hit me up with measurements, ill open a thread in next fews days once ive got the shape and size correct.

Head is 12 inches wide X 11.5 inches tall x 15 inches deep roughly.

Wow, this is truly amazing. Great work. Keep up the great work.

Thank you very much. Always nice to hear encouraging words.

Here is a mockup of a Sai.
8e8881d6.jpg

Pretty rough but learned that its impossible to use chavant soft clay for thin pieces like this. Just using the piece to practice molding!

Started the molding process this weekend.
Still needs another coat of Rebound 25 and then the plasti paste shell.

Practicing the method I will be using for the costume...

97337ce0.jpg

Completely new to this, so I hope it turns out?? LATER RPF

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ( Molding a Sai )

Is that a 1 piece mold for the sai? If so, how are you going to get it out? Depending on what kind of material you are using for casting the costume, I reckon you should be able to do the head as a 1 piece mold (to avoid a seam line) because it should be big enough to be able to fold out of the mold. But I would think the hands\arms would have to be two piece molds. What are your plans for the head? Are you going to be having an under-shell to hold it's structure? Or cast in a more rigid rubber?

Is that a 1 piece mold for the sai? If so, how are you going to get it out? Depending on what kind of material you are using for casting the costume, I reckon you should be able to do the head as a 1 piece mold (to avoid a seam line) because it should be big enough to be able to fold out of the mold. But I would think the hands\arms would have to be two piece molds. What are your plans for the head? Are you going to be having an under-shell to hold it's structure? Or cast in a more rigid rubber?

Sometimes I wonder why aren't you doing this for me. :behave

Yes it is a one piece mold for the sai, and I planed on cutting a cross like seam to pull the sai out. If it doesn't work out, I guess I will get to also work on the two part mold.

Head will be a 1 piece mold cast in dragon skin latex with a future foam backing. (unless you know of a better product)

Sure wish I had more experience, awfully nervous about screwing up.

Ha ha, it is a project that I have wanted to embark upon for a fair while and therefore have put a bit of thought and diagram into how I would do things over a few years. Unfortunately where I live it is seriously expensive to get any kind of smooth on product or anything of the like. So financially it hasn't been an option for me. Although I am growing closer to the point of just doing it. I am just glad I can put forward ideas ect to help push this toward being an amazing outcome. I would be pretty nervous about the molding too. I have never taken a mold\cast of something like the head before. Maybe you could try mocking up a bit smaller, extremely quick version of your Mikey touch it with the texture stamp in a few spots and take a 1 piece mold of that? then if you bawls it up no harm. If you get it right, then you can mold Mikey in confidence :)

Ha ha, it is a project that I have wanted to embark upon for a fair while and therefore have put a bit of thought and diagram into how I would do things over a few years. Unfortunately where I live it is seriously expensive to get any kind of smooth on product or anything of the like. So financially it hasn't been an option for me. Although I am growing closer to the point of just doing it. I am just glad I can put forward ideas ect to help push this toward being an amazing outcome. I would be pretty nervous about the molding too. I have never taken a mold\cast of something like the head before. Maybe you could try mocking up a bit smaller, extremely quick version of your Mikey touch it with the texture stamp in a few spots and take a 1 piece mold of that? then if you bawls it up no harm. If you get it right, then you can mold Mikey in confidence :)

Well I'm glad your helping out! If I ever manage to get a run out of the molds, I'll be taking all your help into consideration!

On the sai mock up I added clay around the base board and hit it with the texture stamp to see if the rebound25 is picking up the details. If the cast from the mold turns out good. I will trust and hope it turns out on Mikey!

I'm also a fellow turtle fan ( and thats an understatement lol) Sculpt is looking great! Also love TMNT1 in the background. I'm working on a turtle myself and constantly play that movie for inspiration and drive! Awesome work!

I'm also a fellow turtle fan ( and thats an understatement lol) Sculpt is looking great! Also love TMNT1 in the background. I'm working on a turtle myself and constantly play that movie for inspiration and drive! Awesome work!

Thanks Mark! I have been following your build aswell. Can't wait to see it after you make the changes you have mentioned. Very cool sculpt. TURTLE POWER

Thanks Mark! I have been following your build aswell. Can't wait to see it after you make the changes you have mentioned. Very cool sculpt. TURTLE POWER
Thank you very much, Turtle power back at you! I have a build question for you if you wouldn't mind sharing. What material were you thinking of using for your bandanna??

Looking forward to more!
-Mark

Haven't looked into it yet but when I do, I will certainly share. I have a neat idea for the eyes you might like! Already have it ready just waiting for the right time to share, haha!

Hey RPF'ers,

I'm currently in the process of molding my sculpts and plan on casting them with dragon skin (silicon rubber).

From my understanding, DragonSkin needs to be degassed or placed in a vacuum chamber before pouring into the mold. Would the items below suffice?

Nalgene 5305-0609 Polycarbonate Vacuum Chamber Jar with Polypropylene Vacuum Plate, 4.7L Capacity, 6-5/8" OD x 9-3/8" Overall Height - Nalgene

Equus 3620 Vacuum Gauge - Equus

Mastercool 90066-A Vacuum Pump - Mastercool

I have used Dragon skin before along with a few close friends of mine. I, and they, have done it with out degassing. Def saves some cash, and worst case is you'll notice micro air bubbles in your casting but you really need to inspect it to notice. Are your pouring or injecting???

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back