TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt *SHREDDER*

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ** SHELL COMPETE**

Well since Jacob has everything that needs finished up, I played with the idea of adding teeth. It's not perfect but neither are my teeth.

file-111.jpg

file-112.jpg

file-113.jpg

file-114.jpg

file-115.jpg

file-116.jpg

Plastic Chompers!:D
Hopefully Jacob has some update teasers soon!!!:thumbsup

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ** Pearly Whites**

Aw dude those are so awesome. Munchin' on some pizza will ruin those pretty quickly.

Broke out my TMNT Communicator yesterday, used to love this thing as a kid. Also found my baby book and one entry at like 11 months happened to say, "he is CRAZY for teenage mutant ninja turtles. We say 'cowa' and he says 'baaaaa' for bunga.

turtlecom.jpg

you mean like this? :) ALMOST done with D's suit. we lightened up the suit today and worked on the detailing a bit. mask still needs detailing and mottling, but otherwise VERY close to being done. adding a gold top coat Monday.

Just as constructive criticism, the color for the mottling should be closer to the base color, in this case, a dark green. The brown looks really out of place, and draws your eyes to it, in doing so, your eyes focus on it, and you see that it's paint, instead of the illusion that mottling should give you of organic skin.

Here's an example of what I mean.
ninja-turtle-restoration-after2.jpg

You'll see this is a restoration, and for whatever reason, they did use brown on a patch on Donnie's shoulder, but by and large, the mottling is done in a dark green. Hope that makes sense!

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ** Pearly Whites**

Here's an example of what I mean :) it will look more natural once the paint is finished but we're going by (trying to anyway) the real movie costumes, not spinas repaint

Just as constructive criticism, the color for the mottling should be closer to the base color, in this case, a dark green. The brown looks really out of place, and draws your eyes to it, in doing so, your eyes focus on it, and you see that it's paint, instead of the illusion that mottling should give you of organic skin.

Here's an example of what I mean.
ninja-turtle-restoration-after2.jpg

You'll see this is a restoration, and for whatever reason, they did use brown on a patch on Donnie's shoulder, but by and large, the mottling is done in a dark green. Hope that makes sense!

I believe that is Leo, that was restored by Tom Spinna Designs. Not Donnie. I think the brown mottling is meant to be the "bruises" they added to the suits at different points in the film to emulate bruising. He has one on his shin as well. So yeah I would have to agree with this, a little less brown and more green tones.

Last edited:

I believe that is Leo, that was restored by Tom Spinna Designs. Not Donnie. I think the brown mottling is meant to be the "bruises" they added to the suits at different points in the film to emulate bruising. He has one on his shin as well. So yeah I would have to agree with this, a little less brown and more green tones.

I stand corrected, and as a huge tmnt fan, feel entirely embarrassed for that oversight. LMAO

Your work is amazing! I can't wait to see it all put togehter!

Thanks simmcity, it will be real soon.

This is sooooooo cool :) I have been thinking of doing this myself, you are doing great!

Thanks TF, the thread here is to share and encourage, so go for it! But be ready for the commitment that it takes.

Awesome build! TMNT was always my favorite as a kid... The new one is too goofy, I am talking about the original. I wish I could afford to buy a suite... They are top-pick!

I'm a fan of the original as well! Well you never know, maybe one day! :) Thanks!

Paint job could use some mottling. It is after all an amphibian. :love
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm sure with everyone's help and Jacob's skills and desire for perfection it will come out great!

paint looks amazing!

I'm getting excited about this as if it's being made just for me :lol

Thanks Klokateer! This one's not yours but maybe the next..

that is awesome nice work
Thanks kdflash!

I am looking forward to seeing the whole suit put together.. You said you will have it completed by halloween.. In two weeks?
That's the plan! two weeks left to wrap up a 6+ month project.

Aw dude those are so awesome. Munchin' on some pizza will ruin those pretty quickly.

Broke out my TMNT Communicator yesterday, used to love this thing as a kid. Also found my baby book and one entry at like 11 months happened to say, "he is CRAZY for teenage mutant ninja turtles. We say 'cowa' and he says 'baaaaa' for bunga.

turtlecom.jpg

Thanks! All evidence of a true turtle fan!! :lol

Thanks for the information! You seem to know all the insider details. It's nice to get some comments and advise again from you. I'm sure that Jacob will appreciate the input and use it to finish up the pieces. He sent me a few insider pictures today and its lookin SWEET!!!

QUICK POLL

Which turtle head should I sculpt next?
Let me know!

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ** Quick Poll**

I am sure Jacob will have the paint looking great. From what I have seen so far, he certainly has a talent.

I would be torn between Leo and Donnie. Leo, because you have all the high res images from the Tom Spina restoration. Donnie, because I can't recall a fan sculpt on the rpf of him.

I would go for Donnie or Leo, the blue and purple bandanna would work well with Mikey.

Why not give Raph some love?!? He was always my favorite... rebel with an attitude; and those sias rock. I trained with a pair when I studied martial arts. They are a beautiful weapon, and very versatile.

Thanks Klokateer! This one's not yours but maybe the next..

QUICK POLL

Which turtle head should I sculpt next?
Let me know!
one can only hope! :love

I love both Raphael and Donatello, but I think I'd lean more towards Donatello. I don't think he gets quite enough love

Thanks guys for your votes! I may start on a new head sculpt as soon as this weekend!
If anyone else has a view or opinion on it, please share.

Looking forward to seeing the whole completed costume.. in a photo.. You do inspire me

Raph and Mikey's heads were by far the best sculpts for the film, I think. There was always something awkward and cartoony about Leo and Donny's by comparison...

Great work on this one - very ambitious! Can't wait to see it all come together.

Anyone care for an update from my end? Hope so cause here's a little one...

Paint is almost finished all the way around. The white stuff on his face is just dust from the teeth that I've been tinkering with. And I picked up more paint yesterday so I can touch up the beak a little (needs more yellow, less freckles). I'll also probably spray a light coat of pale yellow on the muscles just to brighten it up a bit. Overall I'm very happy with the paint. Its hard to judge, how light/how dark because of how my photos are taken vs how the movie was shot vs how the original paint really was. Like the Ghostbuster jumpsuit, looks grey in the movie, but its really a funky khaki.

I'm waiting to pickup the rear shell (hopefully today) from the upholstery shop where its getting all the straps installed.

The front shell is nearly done (took all of 5 minutes), I just need a darker borwn to go back over the creases. then I'll very lightly mist the whole thing with a light brown to darken it up just a bit. Man I wish the silicone were this easy to paint, I'd be able to finish painting a suit in a day or two.

ENJOY!

ALMOST ready! Trying to get this bandana in position so I can get the eyes in and wrap it up!

"Insert words here" couldn't find a word for how awesome the head is looking! Really has changed!!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back