TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt *SHREDDER*

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt ** SHELL COMPETE**

Looking rad! I really like the tone of the skin you have. Great choice of green.

I have a few suggestions for your painting.
Did you think about hitting it with some paint splatter from a tooth brush to break up the uniformity of the paint work?
I remember a few darker spots around where the turtles legs, and arms meet their shell.

The eyes may need some veins around the outer edges of the sclera. The eye whites just look a bit too white.

yeah, i sort of agree about the eyes... but thats how they are in the movie. the last part of painting is to add the detailing, but that will all be added. trying to even add the dots in the exact places from the movie! lots of screen grabs but worth it :)

oh yeah, the dark spots were put by the joints because of the crumbling nature of foam latex. but we dont have to worry about that with these suit! silicone FTW!!! Derick is the man!

Ya the eyes should of been a pale cream white, but no veins is correct. I was so excited when I first saw them I totally forgot about it. But because of the cost for the set, I think I'll let that small detail slide. Keep up the awesome work Jacob! Every image I get makes me antsy to see it finished!!!

just a little photo of the head on a torso... again incomplete with paint and bandana, but still nice to see...

this is my first post on the RPF! i've been reading through this thread since i got off work tonight imagining that i'm watching it unfold in real time, i've been so riveted that i just realized its all most 5am! great work! really inspireing me to start some projects of my own, keep up the amazing work!

Thank you so much for taking your time and sharing this with all of us. Its like watching
a childhood dream come true. Fantastic.
You are a truly skilled artist and have my full respect. I cannot wait to see this finished.

Looking forward to getting your help.....I am going for Raph....maybe after they are all built, me you and jacobz can go show up in them!

Derick, This is really looking great now bro. What a huge difference the eyes make to the costume!

Quick question though, What is going to be happening with the mouth? I remember seeing some animatronics tests a while back, is that still going to be happening? If so are you going to be adding teeth to the inside of the mouth?

I would imagine that you would also need some black fabric inside to hide your face when the mouth opens a little wide.

Keep it up dude, really awesome stuff!

I was thinking about the teeth too. You could use white craft foam painted to match teeth colors. It would not take a lot of space in the mouth and would fold inward when the mouth closed.

I figured you would not have the mouth opening and closing very far so that would get the job done. Not fancy , but cheap and effective.

Oh hell yes, especially since Mikey is my favorite. Just got me real excited.

Mikey was the character that best fit my personality and nunchucks.... no brainer!
This is really coming along and I can't wait for the big reveal and to see all the hard work pay off that you both put in for molding and painting. Keep going dude!

ME TOO! I would guess that we may have a full suitup in the next 10 days...

killer pulls and killer paint job, this is now my fav thread in the rpf.com

Thanks! :$ The paint has really improved this build!
There are some amazing threads out there!

just a little photo of the head on a torso... again incomplete with paint and bandana, but still nice to see...

NEW FAVORITE PHOTO!!!

That is so cool!:eek

I second this motion(y)thumbsup

this is my first post on the RPF! i've been reading through this thread since i got off work tonight imagining that i'm watching it unfold in real time, i've been so riveted that i just realized its all most 5am! great work! really inspireing me to start some projects of my own, keep up the amazing work!

Thanks Mike! There's not many people that will read through a thread but I'm glad that you did. With the help of all the member's here at the RPF you get to watch how positive coloboration turned this project in the right direction. Also glad to hear that your inspired to start your own projects! Stumbling across this site is what got me so deep into these projects... ADDICTING!

Thank you so much for taking your time and sharing this with all of us. Its like watching
a childhood dream come true. Fantastic.
You are a truly skilled artist and have my full respect. I cannot wait to see this finished.

Thanks Trioxin! If I had not shared this project would still be where it started...WAYOFF! Member's here at the RPF do a fantastic job of giving positive critisism and helpful insight.

Your Shedder build is going fantastic! But if I ever see you I will hit you with my nunchucks! :lol

Looking forward to getting your help.....I am going for Raph....maybe after they are all built, me you and jacobz can go show up in them!

Always wanted to go to a comic con and the Texas Comic Con may have to be my first!

Derick, This is really looking great now bro. What a huge difference the eyes make to the costume!

Quick question though, What is going to be happening with the mouth? I remember seeing some animatronics tests a while back, is that still going to be happening? If so are you going to be adding teeth to the inside of the mouth?

I would imagine that you would also need some black fabric inside to hide your face when the mouth opens a little wide.

Keep it up dude, really awesome stuff!

Hey Nitrox!

Jacob has been the lead on most the accessories and has been usining some animatronics for the mouth. I'm lookiing into building up some teeth this weekend! Everything you mentioned has been noted! Thanks for the input.

I was thinking about the teeth too. You could use white craft foam painted to match teeth colors. It would not take a lot of space in the mouth and would fold inward when the mouth closed.

I figured you would not have the mouth opening and closing very far so that would get the job done. Not fancy , but cheap and effective.

Craft foam would be the fastest method! But I think I may sculpt up a set and cast them in plastic... not sure though.

I'll be sure to post any progress to get feedback and see if its headed in the right direction!

Update:
I have no update... :)
Hahaa

I got to meet up with Jacob last night and delivered the two shells! Got to see the head in its current state and photos do not do it any justice!

For the next several days, Jacob will be the updates! He now has two complete turtles and will be giving them paint and final touches.... The finishline is insight!!:love

This is sooooooo cool :) I have been thinking of doing this myself, you are doing great!

Last edited:

Awesome build! TMNT was always my favorite as a kid... The new one is too goofy, I am talking about the original. I wish I could afford to buy a suite... They are top-pick!

Paint job could use some mottling. It is after all an amphibian. :love

Paint job could use some mottling. It is after all an amphibian. :love

you mean like this? :) ALMOST done with D's suit. we lightened up the suit today and worked on the detailing a bit. mask still needs detailing and mottling, but otherwise VERY close to being done. adding a gold top coat Monday.

Crotch shot. Looking awesome, I can't wait to see it with the front and back shells attached.

paint looks amazing!

I'm getting excited about this as if it's being made just for me :lol

I am looking forward to seeing the whole suit put together.. You said you will have it completed by halloween.. In two weeks?

yep. all that is left is just a couple hours of paint. the shell just needs some straps added to it. then it will be painted and thats it!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back