TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt *SHREDDER*

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt (SILICONE)

Took the weekend off unfortunately. I need a break with the wifey. But plan to build the shell this week!!! Will be building a base out of foam sheets then add clay to sculpt all the fun details!

SOOOOO, if anyone has some good pictures or screen shots of the shell from TMNT 1 it would be a great help! If not I can always pop the DVD back in, but sometimes members have pictures that aren't readily accessible!

Shell building starts tomorrow!!! WHOOOOHOO!

Thanks again Jacob! Took a second to figure out rapidshare, but the photos are great!

Starting the shell this week!

The shell will be sculpted like the rest of the pieces but needed a base to put the clay on!

So I have been cutting styrofoam into a basic shell shape.

First I traced myself to the styrofoam.
file-30.jpg

Then added a center line to measure from and cut the first quadrant out to flip and rotate for the other quadrants.
file-31.jpg

The size looks about right!
file-33.jpg

file-34.jpg

Then I cut smaller and small shapes to create the rounded shape.
file-32.jpg

Its a rough shape but will only be used to add the clay on to.

Another member, jacobzking has created a front shell template and has been kind enough to send me a copy!:thumbsup
So I will later use the template and trace it to the styrofoam to use as a base for clay as well.

My only concern at this point is how to create the sides of the shell???
1) I could create them with the back of the shell as a whole solid piece. But that makes the mold much more complicated.
2) I could create the sides as a separate piece. If I did this I would create two sided piece and mold it to create both sides! Less material used!!! But would have to rig it up to connect some how???

Any recommendations are welcome and if the size of the shell looks wrong let me know!

Later RPF'ers

Re: 2012 TMNT Replica Costume Sculpt (Shell base)

Hey, first of all I want to say this is really an amazing thread. I found the forum last night and read through this whole build. I love all the process shots you have on here!

I don't have much experience in these things but looking at this here are my thoughts for whatever they are worth:

It looks to me like the original is done with the sides as a part of the back shell with the front connecting to the side pieces. I definitely see how this makes for a much more complicated mold but it appears to create a more seamless finished piece.

The concern I would have with doing the sides as one piece is not getting that seamless wrap around contour from the side that seems to flow out almost front facing before it wraps to the side/back (I don't know if that makes sense). The way I see it you would need to almost the independent side pieces Y shaped so they could contour correctly on both sides.

Whatever you end up doing I'm sure you won't go wrong. This is sick. I can't wait to see the updates as you move along. Very inspiring!

we all have pictures of shells to go by :) but this is basically the idea. the front piece snaps on to the torso with some heavy duty button snaps.

welcome to the forum!

Any recommendations are welcome and if the size of the shell looks wrong let me know!

Later RPF'ers

Just a thought, That's a lot of clay even with your dividers. Thought of buying a 2" thick sheet of foam, cutting the same shapes, layering them the same and shaping... then sculpting the detailed clay on them? Not sure how much reclaim you have at this point, or if you are buying new bricks at each sculpt, but even just for maneuverability of the shell model alone... just a thought.

Awesome build man, this stuff is some truly unique and masterful work.

Were you planning on making the props yourself? Remember that if you mount full size katanas on your back, like the big screen, comic, and animated version, you'll never be able to draw those puppies.

SS, I'd love to see those "wearing" pics too, if possible! I'm still trying to decide how best to engineer my own shell. Thanks!

Hey, first of all I want to say this is really an amazing thread. I found the forum last night and read through this whole build. I love all the process shots you have on here!

I don't have much experience in these things but looking at this here are my thoughts for whatever they are worth:

It looks to me like the original is done with the sides as a part of the back shell with the front connecting to the side pieces. I definitely see how this makes for a much more complicated mold but it appears to create a more seamless finished piece.

The concern I would have with doing the sides as one piece is not getting that seamless wrap around contour from the side that seems to flow out almost front facing before it wraps to the side/back (I don't know if that makes sense). The way I see it you would need to almost the independent side pieces Y shaped so they could contour correctly on both sides.

Whatever you end up doing I'm sure you won't go wrong. This is sick. I can't wait to see the updates as you move along. Very inspiring!

Glad your enjoying the thread. Thanks for the input, I agree.

we all have pictures of shells to go by :) but this is basically the idea. the front piece snaps on to the torso with some heavy duty button snaps.

welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the pictures again, all of the screen shots help tremendously.

Just a thought, That's a lot of clay even with your dividers. Thought of buying a 2" thick sheet of foam, cutting the same shapes, layering them the same and shaping... then sculpting the detailed clay on them? Not sure how much reclaim you have at this point, or if you are buying new bricks at each sculpt, but even just for maneuverability of the shell model alone... just a thought.

Hey BHI, Not exactly sure what you mean? Words can be difficult to portray an image. But the foam sheets are being used for a basic shape. I think I might add spray foam on top of it and then shape it smooth to a shell shape. Then move forward with the clay and details. Then finally mold it!

Awesome build man, this stuff is some truly unique and masterful work.

Were you planning on making the props yourself? Remember that if you mount full size katanas on your back, like the big screen, comic, and animated version, you'll never be able to draw those puppies.

Hahaa, no knives or guns in the club.....or sai, katana, chucks, or bo staff!!!

I just made the sai to practice molding, but I may make the props? Not sure.

check out my thread where I posted the two shells I had owned in the Screen Used section...I also have other pictures that I took of someone wearing it I can send you privately

http://www.therpf.com/f45/tmnt-coming-out-their-shells-tour-new-113845/

Thanks again Matt!

SS, I'd love to see those "wearing" pics too, if possible! I'm still trying to decide how best to engineer my own shell. Thanks!

Wearing pictures are always nice to have. Wish I had more behind the scenes photos of the actual movie shells! But those seem to be non existent!

After the unanimous feedback, I will attempt a single back piece!
I have made a stand to hold the shell for sculpting and it can also be rotated to allow easy molding!!! I thought it was genius! (it can rotate so the shell lays face up)

file-35.jpg

file-36.jpg

The shell will be attached soundly once I have it ready for clay.
But I plan to spray canned foam over the shell and then shape it more smooth before adding clay. That will probably be done tomorrow! My clay also arrives tomorrow!!! 75 POUNDS!!! :love

Any suggestions are always welcome! Thanks everyone for your help:thumbsup

nice! I was wondering how you were going to go about doing the shell. can't wait to see more progress :)

deric not called in to see how your doin for a while,all i can say is
:thumbsupPHENOMENAL BUILD:thumbsup
amazing,bloody fantastic,lost for words.
i absolutely :love it mate.

will it fit a little short arse 5ft 6'' fella like me in it ???? probably not:cry

keep up the great work, top notch(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

this is so awesome. i've always wanted to make a movie accurate turtle costume. have you tried using wonder weave for the shell's armature? it's like an adhesive plastic/fabric you can wrap around the blue foam... super rigid and durable. you could use half the clay to sculpt the shapes and detail. good luck, can't wait to see how this turns out.

Very ambitious! Looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

I just put two and two together! Just realized the realistic turtle was your work!! Your texture skills bring the piece to life!

And yes the project keeps getting bigger:behave

nice! I was wondering how you were going to go about doing the shell. can't wait to see more progress :)
It's got some work to go!

deric not called in to see how your doin for a while,all i can say is
:thumbsupPHENOMENAL BUILD:thumbsup
amazing,bloody fantastic,lost for words.
i absolutely :love it mate.

will it fit a little short arse 5ft 6'' fella like me in it ???? probably not:cry

keep up the great work, top notch(y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Thank you very much Mark!:)
If my molds turn out, your short arse is getting in it!!

this is so awesome. i've always wanted to make a movie accurate turtle costume. have you tried using wonder weave for the shell's armature? it's like an adhesive plastic/fabric you can wrap around the blue foam... super rigid and durable. you could use half the clay to sculpt the shapes and detail. good luck, can't wait to see how this turns out.

I have never heard of it?? I might look into it though, thanks!
Very cool! :)
Thank you sir! Reminds me I need to check in on your endoskull build! Its serves as inspiration.

Taking a lunch break, and wanted to update the thread

Got half of the every mother mold finished. But ran out of material and will have to order Monday. But its coming along great
Lower legs are a two-piece mother mold
file-37.jpg

file-38.jpg

Upper legs are a two-piece mother mold
file-39.jpg

file-40.jpg

Upper body will be either a 3 or 4 piece mother mold
file-41.jpg

file-42.jpg

file-43.jpg

file-44.jpg

So I still have to finish the other side of every piece above but that will go really quick!

Starting the shell this week!

The shell will be sculpted like the rest of the pieces but needed a base to put the clay on!

So I have been cutting styrofoam into a basic shell shape.

First I traced myself to the styrofoam.
file-30.jpg

Then added a center line to measure from and cut the first quadrant out to flip and rotate for the other quadrants.
file-31.jpg

The size looks about right!
file-33.jpg

file-34.jpg

Then I cut smaller and small shapes to create the rounded shape.
file-32.jpg

Its a rough shape but will only be used to add the clay on to.

Another member, jacobzking has created a front shell template and has been kind enough to send me a copy!:thumbsup
So I will later use the template and trace it to the styrofoam to use as a base for clay as well.

My only concern at this point is how to create the sides of the shell???
1) I could create them with the back of the shell as a whole solid piece. But that makes the mold much more complicated.
2) I could create the sides as a separate piece. If I did this I would create two sided piece and mold it to create both sides! Less material used!!! But would have to rig it up to connect some how???

Later RPF'ers

Though the mold may seem more complicated the sides should be connected to the rear shell. And make sure the sides of the shell are sized properly so the top of your turtle pants are covered properly. The foam latex suits that someone has been making don't cover enough of the lower torso area and the sides of the shells arent made correctly

And by that I mean you don't want this to happen

1347127450.jpg

Last edited:

I completely understand! I will double check the coverage and location of the sides!! GOOD LOOKIN OUT

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back