Wachowskis’ Jupiter Ascending (Post-release)

Re: Wachowskis’ Jupiter Ascending

If it becomes a trilogy the first will be awesome, the second pretty awesome, and the third leaving you hanging and totally robbed. But fear not! The story will continue in a videogame.

C'mon Wachowski siblings.
You don't have to inflate another "chosen one" action film with an air of profundity using English-accented pontification.

Especially in the wake of Guardians of the Galaxy audiences appreciate character development over grand effects.

Last edited:

Thanks Vivek! The design work does look spectacular and I hope all this extra effects work will be worth the wait when we see it all on the screen. The delayed release may work in their favour now, given how Guardians would have crushed it this summer, and perhaps people will be encouraged by GOTG to give this a go. I have to say the promotion build up for this has been fairly muted so far, though the trailer has been playing alot at the cinemas. I hope its a reasonable success, ever since the Matrix the Wachowskies have kind of struggled. Certainly its stars have a bigger awards profile going into the release date.

One thing is for sure, I will be enjoying all the eye candy this film will have!

If it becomes a trilogy the first will be awesome, the second pretty awesome, and the third leaving you hanging and totally robbed. But fear not! The story will continue in a videogame.

WRONG.

You are correct that the first will be awesome, the second pretty awesome, and the third will leave you hanging... but have no fear, according to the new Hollywood trope: the third will be split into a two-parter, and will conclude in the 4th. *Then* you'll get your video game and graphic novels to finish it out.

WRONG.

You are correct that the first will be awesome, the second pretty awesome, and the third will leave you hanging... but have no fear, according to the new Hollywood trope: the third will be split into a two-parter, and will conclude in the 4th. *Then* you'll get your video game and graphic novels to finish it out.

Oh crap I need to get with the times. You are so right! Forgot about the splitsy final chapter thing. Oh man I hope they don't do that with Star Wars.... Episode 9 part 1, hahaha!

The movie just finished its early secret screening during Sundance. Expect onslaught of reviews online soon.

It could be a stinker, but could also be that it screened to a wrong audience who aren't big on spectacle movies to begin with.

It could be a stinker, but could also be that it screened to a wrong audience who aren't big on spectacle movies to begin with.

Yeah, but doesn't that also suggest that the movie is kind of a stinker? I mean, a "special effects" movie ought to still at least be good alongside having awesome f/x, no? The f/x shouldn't be a substitute for a well-told tale.

That's true. But there are many festival attendees who might be outright repulsed that a popcorn movie was screened at Sundance. There are people who don't watch these type of popcorn movies, similar to people who loath superhero movies these days regardless of how good some of them are.

Considering sundance people are only into documentaries about their favorite causes and whiny dramas i'm not surprised this didn't go over.

As a self proclaimed film buff who grew up in Park City..........this would be expected. Totally wrong crowd, like screening it right after Downtown Abby on PBS.

Sci-Fi movies have to be 110% better then their non Sci-Fi counterpart. A romantic drama will be reviewed better than a quality Sci-Fi film. Thankfully Marvel etc has given Hollywood a wake up call that Sci-Fi sells. Good Sci-fi really sells.

I cant wait for JA,

I'd hate to be at one of these snobby film festivals, you wouldn't be able to see the screen between the swelled heads and noses stuck up in the air.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back