Need Advice for Drilling Holes for Sink Tube Lightsaber

I would advise in at least having a table-top clamp to hold the tube in place. Drill slowly to start out until you get enough of a hole going to guide your drill the rest of the way

I would advise in at least having a table-top clamp to hold the tube in place. Drill slowly to start out until you get enough of a hole going to guide your drill the rest of the way

Very good advice, I live in an apartment now and don't even have a workbench anymore. I may have to nail together a small one.

i would just use ca glue, or only drill in minimal spots.

Yeah, I am not planning on too much drilling. I am basically making a version that has all of my favorite parts of different lightsaber. For example, I'm adding the copper button that is on the Anakin lightsaber for the top button instead of the bottom. I will probably have to drill to add that.

If you are drilling into round tube, whether you are using a hand drill or electric/drill press, make sure you centrepunch your hole first, there is nothing worse than starting and the drill slips and puts a dirty great big scratch down your tube. You can buy "no hammer" type punches which you apply hand pressure to, they tension up and then click and leave a mark for the drill bit to bite into.

Also helps to start with a small hole first and use that as a pilot hole to drill the larger hole.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

Sink tube can be fragile when you put pressure on it. I suggest a wooden dowel or something inside the tube to help keep it from collapsing or deforming.

If you are drilling into round tube, whether you are using a hand drill or electric/drill press, make sure you centrepunch your hole first, there is nothing worse than starting and the drill slips and puts a dirty great big scratch down your tube. You can buy "no hammer" type punches which you apply hand pressure to, they tension up and then click and leave a mark for the drill bit to bite into.

Also helps to start with a small hole first and use that as a pilot hole to drill the larger hole.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

Very nice, I have never heard of one of those. I will have to get one from Home Depot.

I'd recommend wrapping masking tape around it too, both for when you use the punch to dent the metal as well as when you drill. It'll protect it a bit if you slip, it's what I do.

I agree with the two above, if it's a sink tube, always ALWAYS somehow make a starter hole, whether it's with a nail or whatever. My first saber ended up having a dowel in the bottom to attach a sink knob so that was a little sturdier, drilling through the two. Though, the top of the saber had many little holes with nothing but the sink tube. Go slow, in spurts and each time make sure the tube is still in shape.

If you're drilling something flat, like the bottom of a graflex tube, Drilling dents the brass inward. Put a thick screwdriver handle down in the tube, while standing it up and rubber mallet smash the screwdriver into the bottom, sandwiching it with the table top. Comes back flat as ever.

If you need to make a larger hole with just a hand drill you can pick the size drill bit one smaller than what you need and slowly go in circles to widen the hole. Like the drilling above, check each pass. Taking the time will save you a lot of frustration.

A simple tabletop clamp is the best. I usually wrap whatever I'm working on in a dishtowel to protect it. Masking tape or electrical tape will work as well!

Hope I helped!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back