John Wilkes Booth Philadelphia Deringer build help!

GeordieIndy

Sr Member
Hi Guys,

As many of you have probably seen here on the RPF, there is definitely an interest in obtaining an accurate replica of the gun that shot President Abraham Lincoln. The gun is a Philadelphia Deringer, more commonly known as the 'Booth Deringer'.

75813823.jpg

There have been several kits available over the years, but none are accurate, and the kits that are available need a certain level of skill to get the correct checkering pattern on the wood body of the gun, and also to make the necessary modifications.

Although this actual gun was never in the movie 'National Treasure 2', it would make a great addition to the collection of any National Treasure fan, and even anyone looking to obtain a replica of a gun with such history.

You can see here the very talented RelicMaker and the start of his Booth Deringer build:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/national-treasure-2-booths-derringer-build-thread-90928/

What I am hoping, is that with all the extremely skilled members we have here on the RPF, that we can come up with the most accurate replica available to date. This could be done one of two ways.

Either a full resin painted replica, or a resin body with machined metal parts to make a kit.

I have a full file of reference photos to help anyone who thinks they could do this project justice. We also have the correct size information for this gun as follows:

The Booth Deringer—Morphological Characteristics

Feature Measurement in Inches

Overall length 5.87
Overall height 2.79
Breech plug length 0.53
Barrel length 1.62
Rifling length 1.55
Muzzle to end of breech plug 2.16
Lockplate center 1.90
Lockplate 2.62
Front outside of barrel 1.01
Middle outside of barrel 0.95
Outside of hammer 1.06
Inside trigger guard 1.04
Butt width 1.37

If you think you could take on this project, or know of someone who is capable of such a project, I would be very interested to hear from you!!

Thanks for reading!!

Andy

Last edited:
Re: John Wilkes Booth Philidelphia Deringer build help!

I agree with Sarednab Andy, a terrific thread.

Personally I'd like to see a pewter and resin version - if at all possible - simply because I like the heft of a weapon to be more or less right.

Given that so many countries (not least of which my own) are making importing this type of item more and more difficult, I'd be more than happy even with non-moving parts and partially bored barrel.

Looking forward to seeing if anyone has any ideas.

Kind regards

MARK

Last edited:

I would LOVE to see this done and sold as a kit. Great thinking Andy.

Please, someone do this.

Personally I'd like to see a pewter and resin version - if at all possible - simply because I like the heft of a weapon to be more or less right.

Kind regards

MARK

Thanks guys!!

Mark, this would definitely be the preferable version that I think many people would go for. I am sure there would be a great demand for this gun all over the world, and not just sold here on the RPF.

We definitely have the right people here who could take on such a project, so we will see where this goes...

Cheers,

Andy

So after speaking with several members, a 'resin and pewter kit' is what would be more sought after!!! I would have to agree, as I think this would make a fantastic collectors item! :love

Whoever could take on the project would not need worry about having to carve every single gun stock out of wood with this kind of kit. It really is just getting one extremely accurate gun made, then casting up the separate parts for the kit....

This would be an amazing item to duplicate. After extensive searching, I haven't seen anything that truly "captures" the look and personality of Booth's weapon. Good luck. I can't wait to see what the final product will look like.

I actually own a similar, simpler version of this gun. This was a black powder kit gun that my Dad built in the early 70's and passed down to me. I can't remember the manufacturer right now. Its a good bit bigger than Booth's- it's nearly 7.5" long and has one hell of a kick.
attachment.php

Hey Guys,

It's been a while since I've bumped this thread up. I would still be very interested to see this project get off the ground, should any of you talented members wish to take it on??

Thanks!

Andy

Hey Taz,

Not yet, but I am sure with there still being interest in NT & NT related props, it will only be a matter of time before someone can do this justice!! I believe if it was made really accurate, good quality, and at a good price, there would be lots of interest on this forum, and from elsewhere!!

Cheers,

Andy

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back