Another Star Ship

Katsu-san, I don't know why, but I imagined you as a younger man. It must be your avatar that planted that image in my mind. And the sheer amount of fine detail work you put into your ship. You have the drive of a much younger man. ( I joke.) :lol That, and the kids. I bet they turned your hair gray. I think I turned my dad's hair gray pretty quick. Me and my brother. :lol

Katsu-san, if you can give us a clean shot of the Hyperion, (right side up, of course), say a three-quarters view, we can Photoshop some paint schemes on to it for you.

Is she named after anything in particular? I immediately thought of the Hyperion from Legends of the Galactic Heroes.

-Mike J.

I think Katsu-san is playing a joke on us. He made a giant-scale workshop to hide the fact that the model really is 6 feet long. ;)

I hope Katsu-san starts a thread detailing his construction of his over-sized furniture and tools. We always see stuff built to a smaller scale, but rarely larger. :cool

Morning Katsu-san,

Those dust storms are wild, here in Florida we just get Hurricanes, the last time a really big one hit us was 1992, Hurricane Andrew. I still lived in England at that time but virtually the entire town i now live in was flattened.

6492cbfe-acf3-4695-860d-922db4f8f4ee_zpsc932a1e6.jpg

We have been very lucky for the last 20 years with most storms missing us.

In your pictures i was very surprised to see how small your ship is.

In all other pictures i have seen it looks huge, this is a tremndous
compliment to your work, the sense of scale and presents you have created is truly fantastic and just shows me you are a true master scratch builder.

Stay safe and cocoa powder free my friend :D

Gag
(Toe)

Wow, this is devastating:(. At the first sight, I thought it might be a large dump site. I've just checked about this hurricane and they say 65 people have died for this. I think they had never thought of this could be so catastrophic damage. I hope most of the people there could evacuate before it hit there. We are also living in a place along the course of typhoon but one as bad as this is very rare.  

And thank you for your wonderful praise for my work. As for me, YOU are the one builder who make me want to hide in a cave. You are inspiring many people here just like strike of the thunderbolt.

Katsu-san, No need for apologies. The key point is you and your family are safe and there is very little to no damage caused by the dust. Those are your priorities, appeasing a bunch of internet geeks comes last LOL

Thank you mikeee-san, we are all safe. However, I saw a parking lot of ophthalmology clinic was pretty full.:facepalm:D They made a fortune by this.

And now, I'm really enjoy talking with a bunch of internet geeks!!:lol

Ok, so I've been following this thread for so long that I forgot the first stages of the build. That is to say, I forgot the actual size of this model until I saw those latest pics with it sitting upside down on your desk.

You've done such a fantastic job of creating a sense of scale for this model that it's been growing in size in my perception -- I was thinking this build is MASSIVE.

Hi! Zuiun-san, thank you very much for your kind comment. As I have been trying to make this model look like huge, your words make me hopping around.

By the way, I'm curious about your name 'Zuiun'. 
It was one of the word I have considered for the name for my model.
Which means a nature phenomenon that is a cloud of the good luck or cloud of the good omen. Zui means Good luck and 'un' means cloud.
Also it was the name of good recon aircraft of old Japanese navy.

thumb5.jpg

01.jpg

Katsu-San, I just got back to this thread. So glad that you and your family are safe. And the picture of you, a fitting Captian for such a fine ship!

:$Naaah, I am embarrassed. I can't even fly a single engine aircraft.
I guess(or I bet) someone in here must have a pilot license and airplane.
How is that?

And thank you for your kind word for my family, NMR-san.
In fact, the real estate agency of our town never guides around their customer at this time of the year.:facepalm It's for real :D

I think Katsu-san is playing a joke on us. He made a giant-scale workshop to hide the fact that the model really is 6 feet long. ;)

That's probably the most likely explanation... :lol

I hope Katsu-san starts a thread detailing his construction of his over-sized furniture and tools. We always see stuff built to a smaller scale, but rarely larger. :cool

Honey! They don't believe me. It's really small!!
img13baff3bdbr2hc.jpg

I keep forgetting the actual size of this as well and great theory you have there SmilingOtter. :D
Katsu-san, one of the things I really enjoy is that you share some of your personal life and events making this thread much more than just building a model. Getting to know a little more about you, the man behind the model, makes me feel closer and more emotionally attached to this thread. Thank you for sharing all of this.

Oh they knew it! Well, I thought I could make it though:lol

You are very welcome Randy-san! Many interesting things happens here. I want you to know and enjoy knowing it. I feel so happy with that.:)

Thats crazy, hate to be caught outside in that! Very nice job so far Katsu, been going over your build on your starship. It will help me in mine in scratch building etc a 5.5' starship which I'm just starting.

5.5' starship!? It's huge. Did you start to post it up already? I have to check your post soon. That's a great news.

And thanks for your comment takevin-san, Yeah, you need a space suits to go out there:lol I'm happy if my work will help you making yours!

Katsu-san, I don't know why, but I imagined you as a younger man. It must be your avatar that planted that image in my mind. And the sheer amount of fine detail work you put into your ship. You have the drive of a much younger man. ( I joke.) :lol That, and the kids. I bet they turned your hair gray. I think I turned my dad's hair gray pretty quick. Me and my brother. :lol

Katsu-san, if you can give us a clean shot of the Hyperion, (right side up, of course), say a three-quarters view, we can Photoshop some paint schemes on to it for you.

Is she named after anything in particular? I immediately thought of the Hyperion from Legends of the Galactic Heroes.

-Mike J.

I'll be 56 on nest April. I never thought I could afford to be such age.
But obviously, my mind hasn't grown up since my high school days. That's a big problem. That's why my dad died young.:cry. Forgive me dad, I swear, I'm really staying out of bad boys and trying not to join the geek herd. (cough).

Oh as you know, send two kids for college is quite a project for a little man like me:D.

Oh, the name was after the great novel 'Hyperion'.
I thought it means 'The person who goes the high place' I thought it's cool and also this ship has big Hyper-ion engines.

And thank you very much for your kind proposal.
How about these?
Please pick appropriate one.

The three quoter shot.

P3210080_zpsaa778b3e.jpg

P3210082_zpsf9ce779d.jpg

P3210083_zps4dabd156.jpg

And this

P3210084_zps169513ac.jpg

I shot these pics with my black coat behind it. That was the only big black cloth in our house.:lol

Mike-san, I'm thinking some light tan and brown, pale gold and silver, something like that.

I thank you very much again for your kindness, Mike-san, I hope it wouldn't bother you.

Thank you very much gentlemen (geeks and bad boys).
And sorry to get you back late.

It's getting very warm these days here.
Hey, Tom the Smilingotter-san. I knew you had a cherry blossom festival a few days ago in Macon. Are those flowers of 300,000 cherry tree blooming already? It will be A great sight!
We have only 15% blooming out here. Maybe we can go to the cherry blossom seeing picnic next week!.:D

All the best to you all!!

katsu

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thank you very much, It is wonderful that I could get so cool pics of my ship from you all:love. My album getting rich now!
All the best,

katsu

Hey, Tom the Smilingotter-san. I knew you had a cherry blossom festival a few days ago in Macon. Are those flowers of 300,000 cherry tree blooming already? It will be A great sight!
We have only 15% blooming out here. Maybe we can go to the cherry blossom seeing picnic next week!.:D

Unfortunately for the visiting tourists, our trees are being at least as shy as yours are. A few blossoms here and there, but you really have to look for them. Probably another week or two before everything goes completely pink.

Unfortunately for the visiting tourists, our trees are being at least as shy as yours are. A few blossoms here and there, but you really have to look for them. Probably another week or two before everything goes completely pink.

The fragrance of hundreds of millions of cherry blossoms in a warm spring breeze will be splendid. :rolleyes Your are so nice to be there.

I love Lotus blossoms! :)

Oh, me too. My wife will plant some in our tiny pond. :)

By the way, I'm curious about your name 'Zuiun'. 
It was one of the word I have considered for the name for my model.
Which means a nature phenomenon that is a cloud of the good luck or cloud of the good omen. Zui means Good luck and 'un' means cloud.
Also it was the name of good recon aircraft of old Japanese navy.

I'm glad you asked! :D

I've been using this as my online moniker forever. It was the nickname my Shotokan instructor started calling me when I took classes from him ages ago. I was his first student in the US when he moved here and wanted to start teaching, so he thought "cloud of good omens" was appropriate. ;)

I've actually been on the lookout for a decent model of an Aichi E16A "Zuiun" for awhile. I find 1/72 scale ones on eBay all the time, but I'd like something a little larger scale.

To put things back on topic, I can't wait to see your build fully painted up. It's already stunning!

Oh i will have to do another photoshop with this awesome source material katsu!
And everythings soooo clean! your accuracy is incredible this could have been the work of a 3d printer! :p

Seriously this is such a great build!
All the best

Been meaning to chip in on this build, but everyone else has used up all the superlatives!

It's always good to see how others work and how different their techniques are, and this build has been phenomenal!

Thanks for sharing, Katsu-san!

:D

I'm glad you asked! :D

I've been using this as my online moniker forever. It was the nickname my Shotokan instructor started calling me when I took classes from him ages ago. I was his first student in the US when he moved here and wanted to start teaching, so he thought "cloud of good omens" was appropriate. ;)

I've actually been on the lookout for a decent model of an Aichi E16A "Zuiun" for awhile. I find 1/72 scale ones on eBay all the time, but I'd like something a little larger scale.

To put things back on topic, I can't wait to see your build fully painted up. It's already stunning!

I havent started a post yet, soon though. :)

So you are learning Karate-dou. It's very wonderful. Zuiun is a good name for a person mastering a way of Karate.

Very cool! Nice work.

Thank you!

Oh i will have to do another photoshop with this awesome source material katsu!
And everythings soooo clean! your accuracy is incredible this could have been the work of a 3d printer! :p

Seriously this is such a great build!
All the best

Thank you Tom-san. Well, so you are going to surprise me again with your superb technique. Nice.

Been meaning to chip in on this build, but everyone else has used up all the superlatives!

It's always good to see how others work and how different their techniques are, and this build has been phenomenal!

Thanks for sharing, Katsu-san!

:D

You can't see as much detail in this one, but I wanted to show more realistic lighting for you Katsu-san. Keep up the great work!

starship2.jpg:original

I have no word to describe. This is awesome. I'm watching the one scene of a movie. :eek

Thank you very very much!!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back