N7:Armour Templates/Patterns & Prop Codex

Good news everyone. The Back Torso templates are up, completing the entire set. You can find the templates for the Back Torso here. Enjoy, and as always keep me posted on your builds! I would love to track them.

@Steampunch; Looking very good! Can't wait to see more :)

Thanks Narayas! I will probably give it a try today. Our progress is kind of slow as we are trying to learn how to work with foam but we are on it too :)

IMG_20120408_205849.jpg

Hi Narayas

You sir, are a scholar and gentleman, thank you :cheers

Dzym

Those parts your working on are looking kick *ss so far, if I can get mine anywhere near as good looking, I'll be a happy man.

edit =oh yeh, I forgot I could do this. Here's a rep point (or 2?) for sharing with us all :thumbsup

Last edited:
@Canobi; My pleasure!

@The Death Angel; I understand your plight, it was quite a search to find a place in the Netherlands that would sell EVA foam. The places with the highest possibility to find EVA foam are:

- major sports stores (the tiles are often used as floor padding for heavy weight and fitness)
- baby safety departments/stores (Silly place? Why yes. Another application for the foam is making baby boxes a little bit more bearable if you move around on all fours)
- Home improvement stores (Home to many types of tiles and foam, and they might just have it in that exact combination)
- Amazon & Ebay (but you already knew that, shipping cost may be a turn off)

Are you a Dutchmen? Then have a look over here.

These templates are great! The codex is detailed and easy to follow. Many thanks! Chest and gauntlets are done. Helmet done with templates kindly provided by AxiomUltra. Goal is to have it all done, sealed and painted and ready to go for ACen. I got 9 days. Wish me luck!

Very nice! Very detailed explanation on how to use and scale the templates. Can't wait for the rest of the pieces to be released!

I don't know if I'm blind or dumb but I can't seem to find where the explanation for scaling is. I've never used photoshop so being totally confused and lost would be an understatement

Excuse the dodgy phone pics

IMG_20120423_212950.jpg

Just mounted a foam badge to see how it looks, getting something more professional for finished product

IMG_20120423_212133.jpg

Just need to run some tinted plastic over the LEDs so they are the same colour as EL wire

AH HA so I WAS blind and equally dumb thanks I guess i just didn't look hard enough or in the most obvious spot. :facepalm

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing this. Truly an amazing piece of work. Some quick questions as I start working on my 'homework':

When taking measurements, for the chest and back, how far under the armpits should be measured?

For the biceps, how fitted should it be? Should you flex?

For the boot measurement, which is height and which is width? Shoe on or off?

That's all I've got so far, but words cannot express how amazed I am that this resource is available for those of us wanting to cosplay Mass Effect.

Thank you again.

Must say this a gem of a find. Thanks for sharing. I look for projects me and my son can do together and ultimately he can get something out of and this is right up our alley.

Thanks so much.

...now to search for the helmet templates mentioned earlier

An update for curtain parts is coming soon, this includes a helmet to complete the entire suit. No estimate time of arrival though. So stay tuned! :)

I just wanted to chime in with my thanks as was for putting this together and sharing with the board! I was just about to start building this via trail and error fabrication of my own patterns so I KNOW this will save me a TON of time and hair pulling!

So, on behalf of my scalp, I thank you! :behave

Look forward to the updates, especially the helmet!!
-B89! :D

These patterns are great, and love the easy to follow instructions. But out of curiosity does anyone have any advice on the best/proper way to heat and shape the pieces after I cut them out?

Pretty new at this and would apperciate any help I can get.

What I do is to use a heat gun set at 500º from a distance of around 30 cm and I measure the heat at the foam by if my hand is too hot or not :)

At the end by the temperature of my hand I know if the foam is ready or not. The first times you may melt the foam (I did it...) but it is easy to get the right amount of heat. After you heat it, you can blend it and wait for it to cold down while keeping the shape you want. Once it gets cold, it will keep the shape or almost keep the shape :)

Alright! Can not wait to get started on this. I've had the foam lying around for ages to do it, but havent had the pattern to work with so this will be great. Thanks for sharing all of your hard work!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back