N7:Armour Templates/Patterns & Prop Codex

I have sized the templates and are ready to move them over to the platform. But how can I get the templates that are too large for 8.5x11 to print over several pages? That way I can piece them together.

move the layers to your 8.5 x 11 sheet and print, then move the layer to print again. keep on moving until you've printed up the entire template.

Some of the patterns I used, some I had to freehand. There are no female back, and shoulders/pauldrons in the patterns offered. The template had to be modified on my end greatly, but you can use the patterns for at least sizing reference, and just "add' In to areas you feel need to be modified.

newspaper helps greatly when trying to template the pieces.

Narayas thanks so much! Ive been searching for a week for good templates. My only question is if you have a helmet template or know where I can get one? My friends bday is coming up in a few months and hes a huge fan of Mass effect. Thought id make him a suit for display as a gift

I know these have been up for a while, but do you have any advice on scaling these when you're using thinner materials, like styrene sheets and wonderflex? As cheap and easy to use as the foam is, I'm quite stocky and it makes me look very bulky so I'm not going to use it for the parts that need the most sizing help, like arms and legs.

I've been thinking of using a 6% scale factor instead of 11% to compensate for a wonderflex-craft foam-wonderflex sandwich, since it's about half as thick as the foam mats. What do you think? Thanks!

if you are using craft foam of 3mm - 4mm then 5% - 7% scale factor should be fine. Be warned, the templates are also not "exact" for your body shape/size. You may have to scale length longer than width, or vice versa. I had that problem with the thighs.

if you are using craft foam of 3mm - 4mm then 5% - 7% scale factor should be fine. Be warned, the templates are also not "exact" for your body shape/size. You may have to scale length longer than width, or vice versa. I had that problem with the thighs.
I think it's about 2 mm, so maybe 4 mm by the time you get the wonderflex in there. The upper forearm fit was fine, but the wrist was way too big. :/ I tried scaling the wrist down but that warps the entire pattern. After about 10 iterations of this pattern I decided just to sculpt some papier-mache onto my forearm and use those forms to make my own custom patterns. I'm not cutting into my expensive wonderflex with patterns I'm not 100% sure about. XD

that's the best way to handle parts that don't exactly fit (the patterns/templates) just use the basic shape and look and construct your own templates based on your own measurements.

Kamui Cosplay has videos on how she does her own armor templates

Kamui Cosplay - YouTube

I've been doing my ME3 femShep armour based off these patterns, which have worked really well. I've mostly been using EVA foam (bright green because they didn't have any other colour with the right pattern), and 'craft' foam (3mm thick) for any tricky bits. I had to go through about 4 iterations of the front piece/boob plates, because I just couldn't get the foam to bend/warp enough, so I mastered the art of cutting off the top patterned layer of the foam in order to get it to bend enough. I've got all the pieces ready to wear, I just need to finish painting the red/white stripes, and attaching small details (elastics and velcro to keep everything attached).

IMGP3358.JPGIMGP3359.JPGIMGP3366.JPG

Thanks a lot for these templates. It's really nice of you to do. I've got a couple of friends who wanted to get into armor building and this a project we can all get into. Thanks a bunch.

Re: N7:Armour Templates/Patterns & Prop Codex

has anyone around 6 foot or so already sized this out. i had this all done and ready to be printed and my roof caved in during a freaky monsoon type rain storm and destroyed my only computer. Pm me if i can get some ready to print files from you, i even bought everything i need to build it. Dang

Last edited:
You guys literally have no idea how many problems I have come across when Scaling, has anyone created a build out of these templates and can show me their Back piece? Has anyone been successful when Scaling with the tutorial from the paper? The tutorial for the Back piece it starts from just below the head and finishes just below the waist but then I see other peoples builds the Back goes right down to their Butt cheeks lol. I'm just trying to understand this that's all. I mean I love the template designs from Narayas its just scaling them which is my biggest problem!

Thank you for providing these awesome templatest for the community to use.

Has anyone used GIMP or some other free image editing software to break down the templates to the pieces that I can cut out? I spent most of last night trying to figure out how to make gimp do this, but no luck. I have the piece scaled properly, but I can't do the rasterize step to seperate all the pieces i need to cut out.

Thanks,
Falross

I used Naraya’s female N7 armour template as the basis for my ME3 Ashley Williams armour, because its very similar to M2 Femshep’s. But I only took them as a rough guide, I imported files into corel photopaint (because that’s all I have), split he parts into individual objects(what photo paint call layers) and resized and redrew each part as I saw fit. I ended up with pretty much my own custom template in the end.

I think you have to take these templates as just a starting point, yes follow the sizing guide to begin with, but after then start measuring them and yourself and tweak and distort the individual pieces as you need. A lot of the bits of N7 armour are basically conical tubes, and you will have to adjust the lengths and widths at the top and the bottom to get a good fit to your body, not just the overall size.

I would suggest after you first round of adjustments that you print them off on cheap paper and then cut them out and tape them together (a lot of parts will be > 1 sheet of A4 paper) and try and wear them, hold thing them on with tape if you need, this is probably the best way to judge fit and size, (but remember to add a little to compensate for the width of the foam) , if they don’t fit, adjust again. I had to go through 2 to 4 iterations of each part on paper before I started cutting foam, and even after that I found some foam bits didn’t fit (as I said make allowances for foam width, oops) and had to resize and rebuild. Since there’s very little give or flex even in foam armour, it has to fit right or you won’t be able to move neve rmiond be comfortable.

Also have a think about exactly how you are going to assemble your suit, how are you holding it on to yourself, how are you going to get in it, are you going to have separate torso and abdomen or joined, how are you going to build around your shoes or boots etc etc etc and make adjustments to the design to suit.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back