SPACEMAN, indie film costume build

fotokid

My film II class has picked up my script, unofficially titled, SPACEMAN as one of three pieces we'll be shooting on super 16mm this semester. Our main character, SpaceMan will be dressed in a red jumpsuit with white accents, a back pack, helmet, boots, and a transmission dish.

I'm very open to critiques and suggestions so I'll post all progress and eventually footage from the film. Enjoy!

First up is the helmet build, I started with a pane of yellow plexi glass laser cut it into three pieces. The pieces were glues together to form the visor and then glued onto a bike helmet. I dremeled a notch into the bike helmet to add support. The structure is made of found cardboard/posterboard and the hoses are from an old vacuum.

Last edited:
After a few thrift store visits we found the perfect vacuum that became the backpack after adding white canvas straps (the extra hoses were added to the helmet). The jumpsuit is a coverall Dickies work suit and the white pockets are just lying on top as possible additions.

Helmet was given a nice coat of paint to bring out any flaws and then using some poor man's bondo (our budget is next to $0) I filled in the seams and cardboard cracks.

I can't give you the movie yet ben!! But here are some on set photos from day 1 of shooting! We lucked out and had a great morning of thick fog that really set the landscape in an abstract world.

Well done!

Great shots, love the costume design!

Thank you, the next character to work on is STARMAN who will be encountered in our next shoot hopefully scheduled in the next couple weeks. I will post super 16mm stills when our first reel comes back from the lab on friday.

We got back the first film reel, footage looks great. I will post progress shots of STARMAN, very silly costume but will fit the film perfectly. Clips/trailers coming soon!

a STARMAN is born!

GOOOLLLDDDDDD

The head piece will be cut open for the face and legs/chest will be built next

Film production has just ended and we will now start on editing the film and working on sound design. Here are a few 16mm stills from our last shoot!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back