My 10th Doctor Costume WIP wish me luck!!!!!

eclipse74569

I've started work on my Doctor Who 10 costume. I have decided to do the brown with blue pinstripe, mainly because that's the one we see most from series 2 through 5 (Matt's entrance) and it's my personal favorite of the two. I need to buy a new pair of unbleached white chuck taylors (the ones I have I use for work...and let's just say they aren't pretty). I'm also saving money for one of Indy's Christian LaCroix replicas (aww hell, might buy the Hechter and Armani ties also).

I don't have pictures yet, and this IS a WIP, so far all I've done so far is modify a Vogue pattern that I bought a few months ago. I plan on first doing a mockup for practice and then going to the fabric that I purchased through spoonflower (which by the way came out decent). It's my hope that in the future I can also build a blue suit too (hopefully by then I'll be able to afford Indy's fabric without having to save for it).

I'm also slowly paying for Rassilon's Tennant Sonic which I intend to make into a hero, I'll be posting my build progress once I have the sonic and electronics in the prop forum. I also plan on losing a LOT of weight for this costume (and for health concerns I have too...I'm beginning to wonder if I have heart problems, I'm 29, with a daughter, I want to live to see her wedding). And I've snagged a pair of glasses that I intend to make into a stunt pair (fake lenses).

I will be posting pictures as I take them, so keep on a lookout. I also have to thank Steven Ricks for his wonderful blog full of information on the suit, without it, this attempt wouldn't be possible!

As the title says, wish me luck on this!!! I'm going to need it, I'm excited and nervous at the same time. This is going to take a while to accomplish, so I'm going to make the best of my time and do it right.

EDIT: Before anyone says anything about not knowing measurements after losing weight. In 2006 I was 165lbs and I remember my measurements from then! So it shouldn't be hard to work with!

Last edited:
Re: My 10 Costume WIP wish me luck!!!!!

I don't know what your experience with tailoring is (being able to sew well doesn't make you able to tailor without the knowledge) Singer makes a tailoring book that should give you some pointers on the process. The big thing you want to do is make sure you are properly interfacing the garment. Commercial patterns don't usually provide the correct instructions for this.

Of course, the Tennant suit is more casually tailored than a bespoke suit. And I'm sure Ricks probably laid out the entire process on his blog, as he often does. But it's good to have the knowledge of "why" when you're going through it.

I don't know what your experience with tailoring is (being able to sew well doesn't make you able to tailor without the knowledge) Singer makes a tailoring book that should give you some pointers on the process. The big thing you want to do is make sure you are properly interfacing the garment. Commercial patterns don't usually provide the correct instructions for this.

Of course, the Tennant suit is more casually tailored than a bespoke suit. And I'm sure Ricks probably laid out the entire process on his blog, as he often does. But it's good to have the knowledge of "why" when you're going through it.

Never said I had experience in tailoring. I've actually perchased a tailoring book through the iTunes bookstore, but...I might buy the one you posted as well, just in case there are things in that book that aren't in mine. Thank you for that!

I will be asking questions all throughout the entire process. This is a learning process for me. And I will be taking my time with this one. I want to get this right! This is the main reason I'm working on a mockup suit first (or Test suit, whicever you prefer), so I can learn what to do and what not to do. I actually bought some cotton fabric from Hobby Lobby and plan on using that to do the mockup. The last time I actually put something together I made the mistake of just going at it with the costume (in that case, a Starfleet Uniform). And it was hastily done, I could have done a LOT better with it. I won't be making that mistake again with the suit.

You're right, Ricks did lay out the entire process on his blog and I plan on reading through it post by post, and apply it to what I'm doing, that's another reason I thanked him for his blog. There is an abundance of information there. I'll also contact him (unless he sees this thread first...) and see if he'd be willing to lend pointers out when and if I need them (and I will need them LOL).

Last edited:
Bump since it's been a couple of years. This has progressed slowly, mostly due to making minimum wage and being the only member in a 2 adult 2 children household that makes any sort of cash flow, you can expect me to be in poverty for a while.

So while the fabric I had worked with is now gone (long story short don't trust anyone that you don't know), I had to start over fairly cheap.

So as I was casually walking into Hancock Fabrics the other day I look in fall suiting a to find an alternate brown and white pinstripe fabric, I just so happen to stumble across this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414682509.255065.jpg

While it's not cotton, one, the width between the pinstripes is off (and by off I mean too wide), two, and the weave isn't right. I find it's a great alternative to those who have a bit of a budget and can't afford the good stuff. So this is what I'm going to work with, and hopefully I'll have this finished before next year.

Here are better pictures of the fabric

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414682952.207660.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414683034.140549.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414683053.207149.jpg

The best part about it all, 6 yards and I only spent $28. It was on sale for 4.49/yard

Last edited:

You should consider changing the tthread title. I had hoped that you may costume as Bo Derek´s character in "10" with screen accurate bikini and wet t-shirt, but ...

This is not a Doctor Who - only forum and you may gather more interest in your build if you are more specific about what you are doing.

That's weird because I thought I had originally named it 10th doctor costume, this is what scatterbrains does to you lol...tapatalk isn't letting me change it though...

Edit: changed via web view

Btw me in a Bikini...never a good idea lol

Last edited:
I don't know how long they're gonna have this fabric, so don't miss out!!!

I don't want this turning into another Jo Ann's deal lol

I will say this comparing it to the swatch I have of the fabric I used originally which was printed from spoonflower it looks like the spacing will be alright and hardly noticeable.

Last edited:
UPDATE BUMP: I've found a pair of Gap trousers that MATCH the fabric weave and pinstripe of the originals used on the show...the difference: it's all grey! I'm gonna see about finding more of this as I think this is more readily available than the originals. I will be making a grey alternate once I'm finished with the suit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415472153.555702.jpg

The pants next to the swatch from spoonflower

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back