Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

Michael Bay said:
When you see this movie, kids are going to believe, one day, that these turtles actually do exist when [we] are done with this movie
this comment is all over the place. When I see this movie, some random kids somewhere, some time in the far future will believe that [Ninja] turtles do exist (I guess in space?), at the same moment they are done with the movie? What?

I totally believed that the turtles could actually exist when I saw the original 90's film as a kid. No need to change them to Aliens to make it "believable". Secondly, MB does not make kid appropriate films.

Michael Bay said:
These turtles are from an alien race and they are going to be tough, edgy, funny and completely lovable.
This currently describes the TMNT characters now (minus the aliens part), this isn't some creative path MB discovered for these characters by making them aliens.

Michael Bay said:
Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world.

Fans can relax when they know that the film is being done right. To give the fans two pieces of the worst news one could give (1. MB is involved, and 2. the Ninja Turtles are now Aliens) then to say everything is under control sounds like an oxymoron. MB is not known for creating complex stories or characters. Reading the script isn't going to calm fans down. I don't see how making a change from Mutants to Aliens does anything for the plot other than to anger the fans. Unless they are doing a huge alien/space storyline, to do this is ridiculous. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

They should take the script and make Battletoads instead

Reminds me of this scene from Bolt (just replace "Bolt" with "Michael Bay")
youtube Bolt Aliens

Last edited:
well im just gonna respond in pics to this from now on:

120319b_turtle_aliens.jpg

ALIEN%20FIGURE.jpg

BestAncientTurtles.jpg

So, I started wondering why there seemed to be such backlash here when there wasn't anywhere near as much with Transformers 1, 2, 3, or however many other godforsaken entries they end up doing in that s**tfest of a franchise.

And it hit me:

Demographics.

Transformers is an 80s property, through and through. It first debuted in 1984, and was pretty much done with in its initial incarnation by about 1990/1991. The fans, therefore, are all in the 30s-40s age range.

But TMNT? Ah, that's a horse of a different color. That's a 90s property, and therefore the fans are much closer to the ultimate demographic of 18-25 year-old man-children. They're a bit older, but at the top end of that demographic bracket are people who are no doubt fans. And if you **** THEM off, in this case, your movie stands to suffer.

This is also different from, say, JJTrek where the fans are spread across a wide age range, but are generally regarded as subhuman creatures by the producers, or at least are simply expected (probably not without reason) to fall in line and shell out the cash -- multiple times -- just so they can see it, hate it, go see it again to try to convince themselves they love it, still hate it, rinse, repeat, and then complain about nacelle shapes on web boards. Then go buy the DVD/BR in the special collector's case.

No, in this case, Bay's usual attitude of "YOU WILL SHUT THE HELL UP AND WATCH WHATEVER I GIVE YOU AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!!!" (add a few expletives in there, wherever you please) just won't cut it. So, he has to reassure fans that "No, don't worry. It makes sense."

Sure. Because he has such a fantastic track record of being faithful to source material? Well kids, you may not have given a crap when it was your older brother's franchise that got run through the Bayifier, but now its YOUR cherished childhood memories that will be Bayed upon. Enjoy!

Side note: To be clear, I'm not really a huge fan of either Transformers or TMNT. I enjoyed both back in the day and see the potential for cool subsequent material based on that stuff, but I have no particular deeply felt love for either franchise. I do, however, have a deep and abiding antipathy for Michael Bay and anything he touches.

:behave
Don't you mean... leg!?

Well played sir.....well played.

Hey, can someone photoshop a picture of the turtles with a ****load of explosions behind them? Also change the title to teenage alien explosion turtles. For you see I'm sure the only ninja thing about them in this new movie will be that they have bandanas over their eyes. Bay will probably have them use alien blasters.

He'll probably have Kate Upton playing April O'Neil the theoretical Partical physicist.

this comment is all over the place. When I see this movie, some random kids somewhere, some time in the far future will believe that [Ninja] turtles do exist (I guess in space?), at the same moment they are done with the movie? What?

I totally believed that the turtles could actually exist when I saw the original 90's film as a kid. No need to change them to Aliens to make it "believable". Secondly, MB does not make kid appropriate films.

This currently describes the TMNT characters now (minus the aliens part), this isn't some creative path MB discovered for these characters by making them aliens.

Fans can relax when they know that the film is being done right. To give the fans two pieces of the worst news one could give (1. MB is involved, and 2. the Ninja Turtles are now Aliens) then to say everything is under control sounds like an oxymoron. MB is not known for creating complex stories or characters. Reading the script isn't going to calm fans down. I don't see how making a change from Mutants to Aliens does anything for the plot other than to anger the fans. Unless they are doing a huge alien/space storyline, to do this is ridiculous. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

They should take the script and make Battletoads instead

Reminds me of this scene from Bolt (just replace "Bolt" with "Michael Bay")
youtube Bolt Aliens

I couldn't agree more about absolutely everything you said. MB might be able to pull of some interesting CGI but beyond that, his work lately feels like it is a movie trailer stretched out into full length...not much storytelling but a few neat effects along with the bad aftertaste of too much product placement. I attended Transformers 2 in the theater because my roommate wanted to go so bad but had no one to go with. He paid for my ticket and I still felt ripped off by the end of the movie. What was worse was a handful of fanboys gave it a standing ovation and clapped through the credits. I was completely baffled. Somewhere a month or two later while reading a review for District 9 someone wrote something along the lines of Michael Bay watching a movie like that, a movie that actually balanced deeper storytelling and unique special effects, and saying, "But where are all the Chevys?"

Transformers weren't a part of my childhood and I felt no loyalty to the original shows/comics/figures nor am aware of what wound up getting changed drastically in the films (though clearly the weak storylines alone were enough to **** me off about MB) but TMNT were my bread and butter for most of my youth. I watched the lighter cartoon, read the darker comics (at a younger age than I probably should have, lol, the cartoon made my mom thought the comics were appropriate too) and my initial anger about the 2003 reboot subsided enough for me to give it a chance on my Saturday mornings during college and felt it was the show TMNT deserved (until the FlashForward crap and all that...). Anyway, I just about dropped my phone yesterday with MB talking about making them aliens instead (TANT? WTF). It's one thing to turn it into a bad movie...I can probably handle that after seeing TMNT III, lol. But to screw with canon that much on top of that just makes my blood boil about the whole project. Rant over...I hope it wasn't too much...I was a bit distracted writing it over lunch, lol.

everyone, if your born in the 80's or 90's lets go to Bay's house and beat the living crap out of him wearing turtle costumes.

seriously, I live and breath the TMNT and I can't stand here and just take it when i see the one property i love and cherish potentially be destroyed. I have my limits, but i don't want bay and his production company changing everything to be edgy.

THANK GOD FOR THE 1ST ORIGINAL FILM. you can't take that away from! EVER!

\new teenage mutant ninja turtles movie dec 2013

Just heard yesterday they would aliens and it would be live action with motion capture turtles and the movie is called ninja turtles as of right now. Now i don't mind the motion capture because they will be able to move around easy and actually fight like a ninja, but one thing i don't get is that people are getting worked up over the aliens are the turtles. Well they are working one of the creators of tmnt characters.

Re: \new teenage mutant ninja turtles movie dec 2013

Just heard yesterday they would aliens and it would be live action with motion capture turtles and the movie is called ninja turtles as of right now. Now i don't mind the motion capture because they will be able to move around easy and actually fight like a ninja, but one thing i don't get is that people are getting worked up over the aliens are the turtles. Well they are working one of the creators of tmnt characters.
The creator isn't always the right choice so many years later... they may want to change things to better suit their original vision that they couldn't do back then.

Re: \new teenage mutant ninja turtles movie dec 2013

The creator isn't always the right choice so many years later... they may want to change things to better suit their original vision that they couldn't do back then.

The only thing reasonable would be that the ooze itself was an alien byproduct or alien technology that made the turtles, but do NOT make the turtles aliens themselves.

Unless they want to make the alien ooze part into a big plot point and having things go intergalactic madness... there's really no point... but... adding ANY alien element severely puts me off the project. Makes the Turtles transformation less interesting when there's **** loads of other fantastical creatures and concepts involved - too fantastical than needs to be. Regular human science by-product ooze is much more interesting and makes the Turtles and what they become that much more interesting.

Unless they want to make the alien ooze part into a big plot point and having things go intergalactic madness... there's really no point... but... adding ANY alien element severely puts me off the project. Makes the Turtles transformation less interesting when there's **** loads of other fantastical creatures and concepts involved - too fantastical than needs to be. Regular human science by-product ooze is much more interesting and makes the Turtles and what they become that much more interesting.

I dunno, aliens would be the least unusual thing I think in the movie if they base it on the comics. I recall an Aardvark that fights demons showing up and there were certainly aliens fighting at one point.

Yeah, the comics had the Triceratons, and I think Cerberus did make an appearance at one point, but I could be wrong about that. I think you can trust, however, that Bay will no doubt screw it up in a big big way, probably with a 360 degree slow-mo pan of April's cleavage while something explodes behind her.

Now, Bay has responded to the negative feedback on his official website. In a statement he says:

"Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

The reason he gets to keep making films is because corporations see a business model. Make a crappy movie with lots of explosions, bad acting, cleavage but most importantly - an opportunity to sell tickets and toys.

I'm an OG turtles fan too (like black and white comics days, or when they ALL wore red head bands), and while I'm open minded to a reboot, this sounds like a bad idea so far. The script needs to be amazing to pull it off.

btw: eyeofsauron, your poster pretty much sums it up!

yeah i made the movie poster :)
turtles_movie_poster_by_eyeofsauron-d4tj8mq.jpg

i think that prettymuch sums it up

Hmmm... I think the date was supposed to be 2013...

I think it needs some Shia LaBeouf in the background... and April needs flames painted on her... in fact all the turtles should have flames painted on them.

I assume that the big alien looking thing will be Shredder... in the same way that Megatron was completely unrecognizable in the Transformers movies.

I'm also thinking that Splinter should be given the back story of a child molester (Nightmare on Elms Street remake... I'm not sick) and there should be marijuana... can those things be worked into the poster as well?

Now, Bay has responded to the negative feedback on his official website. In a statement he says:

"Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

I can give him a good place to shove that idea of chilling.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back