Best chrome spray paint? Lowes/Walmart/Autozone

hydin

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Welp, silver leafing did NOT work out, and yet again I am going to be cleaning and polishing and sanding my angel blade down... again.

SO... screw it. Gonna go the chrome spray paint route.

What's the best one out there to use? Want something vaguely metallic, not just "gray paint with some glitter" look.

Any advice is appreciated :)
Chris

Does it fingerprint like crazy?

I can probably buy some sealer if that's the case...

Chris

The rustoleum or krylon bright silver are both chromish. And once properly cured, shouldn't fingerprint unless you're handling it a lot. If you want to seal it, you need to use an acrylic clear (like future/pledge floor wax). It will dull the chrome bit, but any other will turn it grey.

Cool!

I now know what to buy later this week :)

Not planning on handling the prop a lot, mainly just setting it up for display and that's it. I'd hate to spend a few hours prepping and painting, just to fingerprint the thing moving it though...

Chris

Chris, I think the real secret here here is VERY thin layers and wait a couple of days in between coats. Sure it will take a while but each coat needs to properly cure before the next coat or it will remain tacky for a very, very long time.

Spaz*Stix,...
This stuff is like Alclad in a spray can. Spray it over a gloss black under coat, and seal it with clear acrylic. Best metallic look I've seen (don't be fooled by the pic in the ad, it's not quite that good). Available at most Hobbytown USA stores.

I learned the hard way when sealing metallic colors on certain clear coats. Chrome :) after clear gray :(

I found some Plasti-Kote Bumper Chrome No. 615 in the trunk of a car at the wreckers. It's very chrome-like in tests, and doesn't finger print.

Heat cure it if you can, in a toaster oven or similar. 200 F shouldn't hurt anything.

Persoanally, I think you should look around for a auto body shop that sells custom aerosol cans.....It will run you a bit more, But it is well worth it. The quality is usually really good!!!

The only downside to rub n buff is it takes FOREVER to actually stop being waxy.

No paint shops locally that I can hit :(

Might give the plastikote a try, but I dunno about heat curing it. The blades a decent size, and the only thing I could use would be my oven, and I kinda don't want the blade bursting into flame.

Nice to know I have some options though :)

Thanks for the help guys!
Chris

This is the spray chrome from Walmart. The nozzel is spray chrome. The textured part on the Phaser 1 is aluminimum duct tape. Sprayed over gloss black enamel and no clear coat.

P2190003.jpg

J

Testors makes a good chrome spray paint. You want to put a real nice slick gloss black under it first, and make sure the black (if it is enamel) is dry, before applying the chrome paint. The Testors stuff is an Enamel based paint, and needs to be applyed in small light coats. If you can,set it out in the sun to let it fully cure. Since it is enamel, it will take awhile for it to dry. Just remember the more you put on, the longer it will need to dry. In this case, I have noticed a laquer spray topcoat, tends to make it dull.

I learned the hard way when sealing metallic colors on certain clear coats. Chrome :) after clear gray :(
With Future Floor Wax, the trick I've heard is to first mist it on and let that seal and then do a second spraying. The misting layer should protect the chrome paint from reacting to the solvents of the clear coat and thus turning grey.

Mind you, I have not had time to test it yet, but there were pictures shown off on endobuilders of someone having used this method and the results were promising from what I could tell.

Chris, I think the real secret here here is VERY thin layers and wait a couple of days in between coats. Sure it will take a while but each coat needs to properly cure before the next coat or it will remain tacky for a very, very long time.

This is a helpful hint. Metallic paints in general are tricky to work with as you not only have to prepare your surface well but have to pay attention to specific methods of application.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back