Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club (PIC HEAVY!)

Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club UPDATE 08/03 (PIC HEAVY!)

Well, so it begins! I've gotten my basic shape cut from foam core (look familiar? lol). Now.... I have to do some figuring on the cockpit, so I can allow for the empty space within. THIS is the part that keeps me up at night, Daren! lol

Yeah...see what you started?:confused
These first parts are just temporarily glued, just so I can do the 3-d figuring for the cockpit. I'm also realizing at this stage, having something to see and touch in my hands, just what a monster this is going to be. And it's far smaller than yours, A!

So you are going for the Roberto Baldassari CM with the flat back rather than the original?

fed999df.jpg

Pretty cool and a little different, too!

:lol. I know!!! Just don't tell my wife!!! Hahaha!
:lol

Now...(I new this was coming, but I didn't expect it quite so soon!) I have to decide if I'm going to build the exterior with removable sections, or do I build it with the cut-away effect, similar to what this picture shows?
I may have to sleep on this one.......

Last edited:

Final step for today:
I cut out structural "test" vanes for the nose cone out of plain cardboard. These are lightly glued in place, so I can determine if the size and curvature are going to work. This is an easy place to make a mistake, and I'd hate to make a bunch of parts only to learn that they aren't shaped quite right, then have to discard them and begin again.
As the pictures show, I alternated light and dark cardboard because I find the alternating contrast makes it easier to see any discrepancies. Indeed, I found a few (this is one of those areas where I can actually feel kind of good about errors, because it makes the effort of test pieces worthwhile!). From these, I'll mark the areas where changes need to be made, and either make new test pieces, or modify the existing ones, if possible.
When I'm happy with the shapes and contours, I'll mark where the openings need to be cut out for the window channels and cut those areas out of the test pieces. When all looks good, I'll produce the final pieces out of foam core, two copes of each for opposing corners of the command module. Since the edges will have slight tapers to them, I'll make mirror-image pieces with opposing tapers for the remaining two corners.
I've pretty much determined what area needs to be gutted to make the pilot section within. As is well-known, there are discrepancies between 1999's live-action sets and the miniatures, so it's going to take some figuring to work out the best compromises. Wish me luck!:confused

Thanks, guys...but I'll definitely need the luck! :confused It's only going to get harder from here!
I'm just glad there's just one of these command module shapes: can you imagine if the landing pods had a similar form, and having to make FOUR of them? :confused

08/03/12

Hi all! Well I managed to get a coat of resin on and about all the car body filler I intend putting on this shell. The results are a bit messy at the moment as, I have not had a chance to sand it out as yet. That will be the first thing I do tomorrow.It will be pretty even by then. Any last imperfections will be addressed using the polyfiller I mentioned before. It is water based, odourless and does exactly the same job as the red sanding putty stuff you guys use, but it costs pennies for a huge tub!

Here is how she is shaping up. Parts of the shell have received a cursory sanding and that allows you to see that the whole Command module is now really getting there!
GEDC0816.jpg

GEDC0817.jpg

GEDC0818.jpg

GEDC0819.jpg

GEDC0820.jpg

GEDC0821.jpg

GEDC0822.jpg

I am really starting to get a buzz about this project now and I cannot wait to start on the panel details. I think I will be cutting the shell apart when it is finished and installing the cockpit interior.

We will see if that proves to be feasible at the time!
Thanks for looking in and I will post again soon.

... I have not had a chance to sand it out as yet. That will be the first thing I do tomorrow.

Well, you might want to go to the bathroom first...:lol
Dam...that's looking really good, A! It's already putting my effort thus far to shame!
Speaking of which, I've got my vanes trimmed to ju-u-ust about to where I want them. The next step will be to use them as templates for the foam core final pieces. Once the finished pieces are installed, it might just start to look like something. That's assuming I don't get discouraged by Atlanthia's work!:confused

Missed the start of this thread, just caught up. Enjoyed reading the different approaches to the project. I have always loved the design of the ship, and looking forward to seeing these two develop.

Great work guys.

Ozzy

Okay, let's get back to Eagles...

Space%201999%20Eagles.JPG

And I thought I had a good collection of Eagles..

You still need the Hawk...

Anyhoo - THIS project is awesome. I can't wait to see the end result. I've always been a Space 1999 fan.

Enjoy, you guys!! This started out as Atlanthia's thread and idea, but I kind of got sucked into his creative slipstream when I realized what an awesome project this could be!

Anyhow, some progress:

I disassembled the pieces and cut out the area for the cockpit, which is why I've been only lightly gluing up until now: too much glue and the surfaces and edges would've been torn apart! Reassembling the main "north-south" structure (or whatever you'd call it), I used my vane stencil to make two identical foam core vanes and glued them in place.
View attachment 86488

View attachment 86489
Using the same stencil on its 'back side', I lightly glued it onto the foam core and cut its inner 90 degree edge, and held it in its place on the main structure to check the accuracy of the overall fit. I then marked the 'to cut' angle with a fine point marker, and angled the blade accordingly when cutting the curved edges. I did the same with the first two, by the way.
View attachment 86492View attachment 86493View attachment 86494View attachment 86495View attachment 86496View attachment 86497View attachment 86498View attachment 86499
That seemed to work out pretty good, so I then made two identical parts,
mirror-angle cut to the two originals and glued them into place. Once
satisfied, I added extra glue to the join edges for greater strength.
View attachment 86500View attachment 86501View attachment 86502View attachment 86503
Now begins what I call the 'wash-rinse-repeat' stage. Using the other vanes stencils, I have to repeat the process four more times to complete the shape of the tip of the nose cone forward of the cockpit. Since the larger rear vanes will contain the windows, that's where the exterior will merge with the interior, so I have to give this area more thought before I proceed.

If I'm going into too much detail, stop me! I'd just hate to jump from one
phase to the next without at least giving some idea as to how I got there!

Comments, suggestions and criticisms are welcome!

You cannot give too much detail, Bob! Looks fantastic! I already wish I had followed a similar route. I can see me having real headaches when it comes to cutting mine open and trying to work on the interior. Great start and now its you who has me scared!!! :lol

Thanks, Delmustator. Feel free to pop in and comment any time. Or if you prefer, start building an Eagle here as well, or display your collection.....whatever you like :)

Thanks for the encouragement, Darren! I've a feeling we may both need it from time to time at this goes on!
Just the same, I'll skip the next part: it's basically a carbon-copy of the last step. I'll drop in a few progress pics of it, tho'! Unless i screw up royally: I promised to share the mis-steps, too! lol
I was wondering how you'll dig into your command module shell, but you have demonstrated great adeptness at 3-d space, as I've said before. With your Stormtrooper helmet , I read along, thinking "Yeah, okay..this will work"..then I became amazed as you resolved problems I wouldn't have had a clue how to do! That's the great thing..all these different techniques, approaches, etc. While you wonder about adding the interior, I'm biting my nails, sweating over how to cover the exterior! :eek

I have every confidence in your abilities.....your initial approach to this build makes that evident.
Is there any chance you could send me a plan view of the cockpit? I can then scale it to fit my nose cone. I tried googling the pic but the resolution is terrible when enlarged. I could have that to work on then while the filler etc is drying.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back