Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club (PIC HEAVY!)

Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club UPDATE 09/03 (PIC HEAVY!)

Thanks for the info Bob! Much appreciated! :)

Your guess was correct, at 6 3/4" wide (at its widest point) and 6 3/4" long!
Bear in mind I started out subtracting about 1/8" from the overall dimensions to account for the outer layering, which I figured when added would make the CM swell to oversized dimensions. So, 1/16" +1/16" (accounting for both sides) would be 1/8". Bottom line is, my measurements provided take that 1/8" into account.
Cockpit aperture: Width: 4 3/4". Length (front to back): 2 3/4". Height (at deepest point) 2 15/16".
Anything else, just ask!

Oh, and thanks for the kind words! The CM is just starting to accumulate a little weight

I did the same thing. I undercut my templates by 1/4 inch and, like you, it has worked out to be bang on the money! I just weighed my CM and bearing in mind that it is 9 1/4 inches long and 9 1/4 inches wide, I was amazed to find that it only weighs 12 3/4 oz !!! I am so glad that I went the route I did, of using card and ribbing it out. It's really light and really strong.

@Underdog, You are very welcome, Sir!

Darren, that's looking so good! Fantastic symmetry from the front, especially. I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you as you attempt to cut into it for the cockpit. I'll be doing a lot of this:cry along with you if it doesn't work. Having said that, I have faith in your abilities: you never fail to exceed my expectations!
Looking at your engine bells, the way I'd go about it is to fold a piece of sandpaper in half, and use that edge to sand out the grooves in high spots. This is not to say they aren't looking good, they are. I'm just giving my reaction i terms of what I'd try, even though I'm sure you have your own plan of action!
Underdog, you are so right about building as opposed to plugging into a CNC device. The only "craft" in that for me is setting the X and Y coordinates properly. Beyond that isn't anything like what I'd consider a hobby! I'll stick to my hands and brain. However there are times when you wonder if it's a labor of love...or a love of labor? :confused

Thanks guys for the comments. I know my Stormtrooper lid came in at about 3 1/2 lbs so I expected this to be around the 1lb mark. I think what I will try, is to reverse the process on the engine bells. Instead of building up the detail with card and bondo-ing over it, I will temp fit card to denote the grooves and then apply bondo everywhere else to the card depth - 1mm. That way, I can then remove the tacked on card, clean up the grooves they leave and the bondo will then sand out a lot flatter than the card will. Luckily, there were five glasses, so I still have four left. I think that the issue here is the card scuffing up when I sand and i can eliminate that issue completely by revising and inverting the method.

Anyway, all that aside for a second, I found this pic on google and thought it rather pertinent to our current discussion. This pic shows EXACTLY the difficulties of fitting the cockpit into the CM shell. See how the bottom curve cuts out all the seating space...Just make sure that the port and starboard cabin heights fall within the curve of the shell or you will be cutting corners off!!!
12demo.jpg

Last edited:

My first thought this morning was why I had a headache, when Darren was the one drinking wine? But looking at that last image pretty much sums up the splitting head I had!
This cockpit issue is a frustrating, unsolvable puzzle! If one took the most obvious route, and made the ship bigger to accomodate the cockpit, then the windows would be so high and widely spaced that pilot and co-pilot may as well be sitting in separate rooms. I'm just imagining Koenig yelling "SET HER DOWN, ALAN!" across the way!
If you shrink just the interior to accomodate the space available, then the whole thing becomes as cramped as a Mercury space capsule with a small crawl space to climb through to get in there!
I've got a few ideas...but I won't exactly be swaggering with confidence as I start this!:confused

Ok, here is what I have done. this should reasonably fit your ratio of dimensions that you gave me. You can copy this to your PC and size it accordingly and print it out. Then cut it out and it will give you a much better chance of getting it right first time.

GEDC0852.jpg

I drewded it foy yoo! :wacko

Last edited:

Ironically, what I was speaking of earlier regarding stage design is forming my current approach to the cockpit dilemma. By doing away with the raised platform altogether, I think it will be much easier to place the seats into something approaching a sensible height, as well as centering the door in the back wall, as I just cannot see that working with the ramp without making the door four feet tall! I'll just have to write off the ramp as a staging element.

Ok, here is another drawing I have just done for you. - Same one actually but I have overlaid the CM shell. If you crop this on your PC to the exact width of the CM shell, and then size the width of the cropped pic to 7" not only will you have the EXACT size of the back wall, but you can also use the drawing as a template to construct it at 1:1.
I traced it off of the pic I posted back along so, it is all in proportion and fits into the shell. The bottom corners protrude because I set the top of the back wall slightly too low when I overdrew the CM shell.

GEDC0854.jpg

Excellent rendering, Darren! I'll see what I can do with that, as per your suggestions!:lol
I'll report back with my findings!

I did have an idea about the outside windows and the inside windows of the CM. What if there were a "periscope" arrangement of two mirrors between the two? Not only would the pilots see the correct view, even at their seating height, but anyone looking in through the "windshield" would also see the pilots as if they were in fact seated much higher...Just a thought...

What's a gyp.......?

Last edited:

That "periscope" effect you mention is interesting, and does explain why we always see pilots when the ship is viewed from the front.
lol..a "gyp" is when you expect something, and are given much less, like if you were told you won a new car, and end up getting a matchbox toy car instead! I said it because you said, "here's a pic I drewed you", and there was nothing there!

:lol! S'ok.....I looked it up!

Soz about the pic. I simply forgot to post the link.

Yeah...I figgered ya meant well!:)
I think your diagram, along with a piece of my approach, will work. SO...tonight after I finish the front end structuring..I'll (gulp) begin on the interior!:confused

A very crudely done image, but just to make my point:
Here, the center platform "becomes" the floor level. With the seats raised to that level, see what happens?
View attachment 86933
So...no platform, less issues. Comments? I'd love'em..at this point, I might need 'em!:facepalm

I think it makes perfect sense and I would say that you should go for it, Bob but for GAWD'S SAKE don't post that on the ETF!!! They'll LYNCH you!!! :lol Personally I am going to look into the "periscope idea and buy some of that plastic mirror stuff. I think it can be done and that way, not compromise the interior OR the exterior.

Believe me, if I can I'm going to go for the original "as seen on TV" configuration. I just figured if the show can make compromises for dramatic purposes (boarding tube, anyone?:lol), then is it wrong if I do the same with a model?
If at all possible, I'll preserve the original. But yeah, if I don't, I'll change my identity so no ETF members hunt me down!:unsure lol

Hey, Underdog! Good to see you about the place! It's also good to know that you can confirm the method used. Please, feel free to contribute in any way you want to this thread. If you want to post pics, discuss all aspects of the Eagle, or even join us on here building your own, then you are absolutely welcome!:)
I am building my Eagle to just over 52 inches, which I believe is about 1/18th scale. LMFAOSchwarz is, I believe, building his to 39 inches, which would come in at about 1/23rd scale.

Thanks for the great pics BTW! awesome detail.

According to the scales and measurements that you gave me, I'm coming up with two different lengths. One comes to 74 feet 3/4 inches and one comes out at 78 feet long.... 52 X 18 = 936 / 12 = 78 feet long.... 39 X 23 = 897 /12 = 74.75" is this because I'm half asleep? LOL!?

Here are my calculations

The original Eagle is 76 feet long.

Schwarz's Eagle

96 x 12 = 1152
1152 / 39 = 29.54 or 1: 30th scale approx

Reverse the calculation:
39 x 29.54 = 1152 (As near as dammit) 1152 / 12 = 96

My Eagle

96 x 12 = 1152
1152 / 50 = 23 or 1:23rd scale

Reverse the calculation:
50 x 23 = 1150 (Plus the wood shavings!) 1150 / 12 = 95.8 (96)

I was really careful to say about 1/23rd scale and about 1/18th scale. These things are never a precise science when you are working to guesses and styrofoam! :lol

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back