Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club (PIC HEAVY!)

Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club UPDATE 09/03 (PIC HEAVY!)

Yeah, I always noticed that those seats slide back when Alan, Paul or somebody gets up to get out of them. How this is activated, I have no idea.
I have season one an DVD and six episodes of season 2. I've yet to try any image captures, as my computer isn't too adept with DVD's.
You're right about their legs: I remember once Alan pressing some console button with his foot (Guardian of Piri, maybe? I would've been too distracted by Catherine Schell to remember anything like that too clearly! :love )

Last edited:
Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club UPDATE 08/03 (PIC HEAVY!)

One thing I forgot to mention, Darren, is how impressive your building in the contour of the window frames at this stage is. Very accurate looking, and something I'd not expect to see until the detailing stage!
Unless, of course, these are pencil lines which merely photograph with a 3D look, but as I see it they are the genuine article. Great control of your medium!
GEDC0840.jpg

Why thank you, Sir but, alas, I cannot take the credit. They are cut from cereal packet card to the same dimensions as the window panel they are glued to. The. Difference being that their centres have been removed. If you go back earlier in the thread, you will see that they were already installed before I started the papier mâché. The reasons for this were twofold. Firstly, as you say, it's simply a really nice detail... Secondly, I was undecided about installing the interior at that point and so left the windows as blanks, but the frames will act as a perfect guide should I decide to cut the blanks out and install acetate sheet. I just covered my six o'clock is all...

Oh, ok. I missed that slight detail of yours back there. I had just assumed that you somehow molded that trim with your filler..which would have been incredibly adept! Still, you can take credit for thinking ahead and adding this detail in the first plave..very nice!

Before I trundle off to work, I'll add what I did this morning...
Utilizing scraps of foam core, I'm beginning to build up the understructure of the module. Not much more to say about it, as it's pretty self-explanatory. When I've built up a sufficient amount, I'll lightly sand the contours down....then begin on the cockpit interior!
View attachment 86762

View attachment 86763

View attachment 86764

View attachment 86765

View attachment 86766

View attachment 86767

View attachment 86768

I am totally impressed by what you guys are doing there !!! The Eagle is one of my fave spaceships, and I loved my Dinky toys Eagle when I was little! I had (actually still have it somewhere) the white one since it was the closest to the original design of the series, but it came with the radiation container module. I can´t remember ever seeing the green one with the transportation module on sale here in Germany, but... I digress.

Darren, as usual, your work is damn, damn inspiring. You are an unstoppable building machine. The women folk in the background do irritate me a little, though ... and yes, Toshiba laptops make great display areas :lol

What can I say, Michael? :unsure
The minute I start to take pics of a build, everyone wants to sit at the table!!! Can't really tell 'em to bugger off can I? I agree though, it is annoying! They annoy me ALL the time! :lol
I hope that means we can expect you as a regular visitor to our humble corner of the RPF? Maybe you can even contribute if you have the time or info /pics to share. Good to hear from you:)

Last edited:

I have no women folk here to get n the pictures, but I do know if there were I wouldn't be able to build stuff like this in the first place...:behave

Y'know, I gave up on projects like this about 10 years ago, figuring its time for me had passed, and it was time to do more "productive things". But a funny thing happened becoming single again: "darn it, I enjoy it!" said I to I.
How odd I should randomly wander onto this forum..:love
I missed this!

Thanks, co-bro! Funny thing is, I've never shared the process of a build with anyone before. There have been the random visitors who might have seen something in the works from time to time, but never beginning to end! Should be interesting.

I'm loving it! Tomorrow is paint day! that will show up every imperfection and then I can REALLY get to grips with finishing off the outer shell!

I'm still undecided somewhat on what to use for the outer skin layer. My first inclination is to use sheet styrene, but like you, Darren, I'm trying to be more budget conscious with this. Also...I have a bit of an allergic reaction to the styrene glue I like the best. If I'm exposed to it for any length of time, I will have all the outer symptoms of a cold (watery eyes, runny nose, etc. ) for days afterwards. It is a truly bizarre experience to have all the symptoms of a cold, yet feel physically fine.
Bottom line...I think cardboard is the way to go for the most part.

I would have also used cardboard but the issue is that, no matter HOW thin it is, it cant bend in two directions at once. the whole outer skin requires that it do exactly THAT. Have you thought about using a cotton fabric and gluing it bit by bit and then painting a coat of resin over it? an old shirt, for example...
once the resin is dry, you could bondo over the top...
Just an idea...

No, I hadn't thought of that. I cannot imagine getting any kind of a smooth edge on parts made like that. I'm sure you, of course, have found a way around that problem.:love
(I still have some styrene...hmm...)

Oh, your comment about bending cardboard reminds me of that thing about how it's impossible to fold a sheet of paper, regardless of its size, nine times.

Check out Myth Busters. They took a piece of tissue paper the size of an aircraft hanger, and laid it out flat in an.....aircraft hanger, and folded it (I believe) 11 times, so.....Myth busted! :lol

Thanks for the pictures, my friend from across the Atlanthiac ocean!
That's something I've been thinking about: whether or not to add the season two center console. Personally, I like it a lot. It adds interest to the cockpit!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back