Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club (PIC HEAVY!)

Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club UPDATE 08/03 (PIC HEAVY!)

Check your email in a few minutes, Darren: I'll send what I'm using. I think I have some more stuff which I'll blast off when I dig it up!

I *LOVE* the community feel in this thread! Not cut throat competitive nonsense! All to make a better Eagle!
Kudos, peeps!

I *LOVE* the community feel in this thread! Not cut throat competitive nonsense! All to make a better Eagle!
Kudos, peeps!

I feel exactly the same way! No egos here..nothing to prove..just want to get the best eagles built that we can! I haven't been in love with the eagle since I was 12 just to compete with and kick people now that I'm finally making one!
I'm glad Atlanthia persuaded me to do it!:)

I feel exactly the same way! No egos here..nothing to prove..just want to get the best eagles built that we can! I haven't been in love with the eagle since I was 12 just to compete with and kick people now that I'm finally making one!
I'm glad Atlanthia persuaded me to do it!:)

:cool:cool:cool

09/03/12

I've got that Friday feelin' !

Hi All! here's the latest update on the Eagle Command Module.

The Car body Filler part is now over, thank heavens! I sanded out the shell this morning and got it to a stage where I just need to give a little more attention to the back and a couple of little areas. In the pics below, the dark areas that look like shadows are just filler that isn't yet dry. Here's how she looks!
GEDC0839.jpg

GEDC0840.jpg

GEDC0841.jpg

GEDC0842.jpg

GEDC0843.jpg

I may need to come in with a little more Bondo on the back and in a couple of small areas to iron out some little irregularites, but other than that she is nearly there! :)

I am going to step away from finishing it right now as, I have started to feel a little jaded with it today. I thought therefore, I would have a play with another of the difficult aspects of this build..
So...here's what I did this afternoon...I took four plastic glasses from the shed, (don't tell the wife!!!) and set about hacking one of them to pieces.
GEDC0833.jpg

GEDC0834.jpg

I cannot believe just how close the form of these glasses is to the engine bells on the Eagle. The glass is aligned on the centre line of the bell. I then offered up a set square to see just how close the glass was to the drawing. These three pics show the result. Look at this!
GEDC0827.jpg

GEDC0828.jpg

GEDC0829.jpg

I then sanded the outside of the plastic glass to key the surface. This allowed me to use ordinary PVA glue as my adhesive. Once I had taken precise measurements and marked the glass with measurements of where the detailing goes, I stood it on a flat surface, and poured in water to the lowest mark. The water then acted as a guide to enable me to draw a ring right around the glass and know that it was even and level. I then repeated this by adding more water up to each mark in turn, until each line was drawn. Now I had all the exact positions of the Rings etc that make the Eagle engine bells so distinctive.
I started cutting and applying card to the glass at the relevant places until all the rings were done. I then filled out the other areas as needed and here is the result.
GEDC0835.jpg

GEDC0836.jpg

GEDC0837.jpg

GEDC0838.jpg

I need to add a little more filler at the narrow end to cover the card that shows through the body filler but, all in all, I couldn't have wished for a better result. The glasses cost us 50 pence each the summer before last and one was already broken. The size and shape are pretty much exact so I am a happy boy! Three more to go.....:cry

Well that's about it for today. I will try to post again tomorrow if I manage to make any more decent progress....Thanks for looking in!:)

Last edited:
Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club UPDATE 09/03 (PIC HEAVY!)

Darren, that command module is looking exceptionally good! It was worth waiting all day at work to come home and see that! :)
And then, I saw the glasses: at first I was thinking :cheers it was just a little too soon to celebrate, but then I realized where you were going. Wow, did you luck out with those glasses! Your idea of using the water level to measure those grooves was so simple and obvious, yet I don't think I would have thought of it. Truly ingenious in its simplicity!
I don't think there's anything at all I'll be helping you out with here: you've got matters well in hand.
I've made a little progress (though nothing as exciting as yours!) and I'll post what I've got done a little later.

I think we're a little early in the build for you to say that, Bob. I got a feeling we are going to need each other at different points of this build. One excels here and the other there....looking forward to see how you are progressing, Mate!

I don't know if I will achieve much tomorrow as I am going to invest my first pennies in this build. A few sheets of 1mm thick A1 card and some lengths of 5mm and 6mm wooden dowel. I will, as always on my builds start and keep a running total of all expenditure so people can then know immediately if it is within their budget to do the same build with the same materials. Now.....what was it I needed the dowel for again.....?

Kudos, peeps!
The Community Spirit in this thread, loves you, too Chris :lol

Exhausts from wine glasses. Now I *HAVE* seen it all.
:lol

Oh, I dunno.....I often get exhaust from wine glasses the following morning....:cool

Great start, on both builds. Love the wine glass exhausts.

Oh, I dunno.....I often get exhaust from wine glasses the following morning....:cool

Guess now you'll be drinking out of the back of your Eagle!:unsure

So far today:
Like I said, wash, rinse repeat...wash, rinse repeat...wash, rinse repeat...sigh.
Now I'll take a light sandpaper and finish up the outer contours. Then, build up the nose a bit more, the tackle building up the back end, in preparation of the interior of the cockpit!:confused
View attachment 86684

View attachment 86685

View attachment 86686

View attachment 86687

View attachment 86688

View attachment 86689

View attachment 86690

View attachment 86691

View attachment 86692

Last edited:

As we are both discussing the interior of the cockpit at present, I thought it might be an idea to post some reference pics to help visualise it better.
These first two are CGI renderings by the incredible Roberto Baldassari.

e8e2e5dd.jpg

4bb0aa8b.jpg

These next ones are just screen caps, but they give great views of the interior.

294e25e9.jpg

fef1a351.jpg

6164af36.jpg

This last one is another CGI rendering but, unfortunately, I do not know who to credit as it turned up in google images with no info attached.

ee9388b6.jpg

If anyone else has any other good shots of the interior that they would like to share here, please feel free to post them as they all help us get it more accurate!

Thanks bunches! I have at least one of these, but yes: the more, the better! Especially a view towards the front from the rear. That view never showed up on the show (I assume because the set had no front end). The show caps are good especially, since I'll be basing it as much as possible on that. It's going to be interesting to see what happens as far as the compromises go. Plus, it is time to select materials to work with. I'd like to keep the "bathroom tile" look of the interior. The seats, in particular are of interest to me, as I'd like to see just how they attach to the floor.

Buckle up, everyone! This is gonna get interesting!

The seats are fitted on runners that basically work on the same principal as the front seats in your car but without the ratcheted 'position lock' mechanism. They just seem to slide freely as far as I can tell from watching the pilots climb in and out of them.
I have all the episodes of Space 1999 seasons 1&2 on my phone so if you need me to check anything for you just say the word.
I think the fundamental error most builders make when building he interior of the command module is that, they construct the two seats like car seats but they are not that high. The pilots' legs are actually at full stretch in front of them on the floor! :eek

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back