Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club (PIC HEAVY!)

Re: Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club UPDATE 03 January (PIC HEAVY!)

I just noticed that another nice thing about Darren's wonderful "Alphanauts" is that not only will they add life to the build, they also provide a nice sense of scale!
View attachment 136475
Oh, and to make a correction, these tanks I'm working on I think are technically 'magnetic bottles', not fuel tanks.
Good thing I'm not building the real thing, eh? Can anyone say 'Challenger accident? :confused

:lol :lol :lol

So you admit that you were involved in that then....;)

Some lovely work going on there.

The scale shot really brings it home!

Great stuff.

My Significant other has asked me what I want for an up coming Birthday. So I said some printing (the CM outlines) and a large tin of P38 filler :love

I couldn't resist tweaking the scale picture :behave

3n

Ha! Great dialogue there, F3!
I wonder if that museum contains the wheelchair that Carter must've eventually ended up in? :lol

No wonder he lost all his hair!!! That Chekov comb over was dodgy to say the least!

Awesome pic though, Bob and Fen's dialogue is excellent!

What's up gang, just a small weekend update started making the two cages.

Wel there's:

1. Atlanthia (me) 52.25" Eagle
2. LMFAOSchwarz 39" Eagle
3. F3nri5 52.25" Eagle
4. 8 perf, 23" Eagle
5. Barrie, 44" Eagle
6. crackerjazz, 44" Eagle?
7. Ray22 (you) 22" Eagle
8. Greylocke who is not actually building at present but is writing Space 1999 short stories and designing around them. Plus, he makes a great cup o' tea! :)
So there you go! The more, the merrier, I say as someone will always have an update to share or some info to impart...:)

Sounds like a plan, but mine is staying as Eagle 1 :lol

Actually it great Gallons of tea. We make tea by the gallon down here in Texas :lol And it is SWEET Tea, My friend adds 2.5 cups of sugar to heres but that is too sweet, so I only add 1.5 cups.

Okay where is everyone :confused 8 builds and no updates till now, okay I worked on the mid section today have most of the structure done I must say this is a fun build and moving at a good pace, I need to get batteries for my camera because the cell phone pics look crappy Lol.

Wow! That's starting to really come together! At this rate, you will be finished by the end of the week!!! ;lol

I've been negligent in commenting lately, as I've got some issues here consuming more of my attention tan I'd like! :unsure Sorry about that! :(

Ray, your build is looking great! It's almost making me wish I didn't decide to handle the extra burden of doing the ship's interior as well. Keep it up, can't wait to see more! :thumbsup

Some excellent progress to be sure!

My 600ml of P38 should be here this week I hope. I still need to get to the printers though. I also have a few cereal boxes, empty, stashed away to use as the cor structure.

Also been working on a possible nav light setup................. ho hum!

oXeVI.gif

3n

Lights are always good on aircraft, F3! That's a nice touch! :)

I admit to confusion on the comment about cereal boxes, though. My mind may just be too occupied at the moment to grasp the concept. :confused

Hi there

The boxes will be cut up into the top and side profile and the formers to give me an under structure to form the command module proper on, with the P38 Filler. Much like Atlanthia's beginning.

3n

Fen, I would ask you to think very carefully about copying my method. Not because I am in any way precious about my method, on the contrary, it's just not a great method is all. It's pretty accurate regarding the dimensions etc, but as Bob, (LMFAOSchwarz) will testify, I am having problems with certain aspects of my build that I didn't envisage at the start. The CM is still quite fragile and I regret cutting out all the inner structure after I cut it open. I also regret cutting it open, when i should have forseen the need to, and built it accordingly. The cut was uneven and the resulting finish will take a lot of work to bring it all together, to what it should be; so much so, that I am SERIOUSLY thinking of scrapping my CM altogether and also going down the route that Bob has travelled. I would strongly suggest that you carefully re read the posts by Bob on how he made his and go down the same route. I know I would with hindsight. You can still use the P38 to skin it but you will remain much more in control of every other aspect of the build, and that makes for great results. In short, Mate, I got it wrong and learned my lesson. Bob's CM is lighter than mine, MUCH stronger than mine and beautifully precise in all it's details.

Bob, before you say anything, hush..... :)

Darren

What's up guys small update tonight, on that whole cardboard issue I can't see putting time and detailing on a model build with cardboard as the main medium... go Balsa, or Basswood or styrene that way after all your hard work you have something that will last. There is a guy on Facebook making a huge Enterprise and it looks good but he's making the whole thing out of cardboard unless he fiberglasses the whole thing one good hit and it'd goodbye Starfleet Lol.

*temporarily removes duct tape to address Ray*

The thing about cardboard (or the foam board) is that yes, it can be a fragile medium, depending how it is applied. I've found that how it's applied (i.e. the understructure) can make an immense difference. The foam board skeleton of my command module, built at right angles, skinned with styrene, can in fact be immensely durable. Even my side pods are like lightweight bricks!

I haven't seen that Enterprise you speak of, but it does sound like a tragedy waiting to happen, though. The Eagle is one thing, but I can't fathom how the builder can make, and have any confidence in, those nacelle pylons or saucer 'connector'. :confused

Hi Atlanthia and fellow builders

Fear not!

My plan is to use your method to create a buck to make the proper unit from. Method wise I will construct only one half of the CM. For strength the gap between each former will be bridged. The base template is as per the actual dims'. The side profile and formers are undersize to allow for the build up of P38.

All being well I can then cast over it with plaster of paris to make a female mold. Which will be used with a vacuum cleaner an oven and some of that plastic stuff. The stuff mentioned in this paragraph I have never done before. The previous paragraph I have had experiance.

So if my base profile is accurate I can mold a pair and they should mate perfectly....... All being well.

For the platework I can mold inside one of the thermoforms to create a male master to then thermoform over a pair of shells, with the first thermoform still in situ to allow for proper surface mating, that can then be glued together and then cut up to make the plates......... All being well.

This could all turn into bollocks of course but it should be fun to have ago at........... :eek

3n

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back