Space 1999 Eagle Transporter Build Club (PIC HEAVY!)

Re: Space 1999 52" Eagle Transporter Scratch Build (PIC HEAVY!)

I'm always leery of using papier mache on anything, at least anything small-scale. The last job I did with it was making a 5 ft. long peanut shell (don't ask lol) which came out quite well, but only because of the size. Anything smaller would've ended up looking like an oblong potato or something!
Having said that, from perusing your stormtrooper helmet thread, I must say, A, that you have a phenomenal grasp of three-dimensional spaces. So I'm more confident in you pulling this off than would I. :confused

Thank,you, Bob. But i think you are selling yourself short. The only reason I am building the command module is down to an issue of cost. The resin CM for the 44" model, if you can get one, is double the budget that I am allowing for the whole build! The papier mâché all depends on the size of the pieces you put on. I use them as small thin strips as they go on nice and flat. You will see exactly what I mean tomorrow, when I post an update

I wish I had a model of it today... damn the loss in moves!:angry

Oh, I know: costs can quickly spiral out of control! I'm cost-conscious, as are you. And like you've said (here or elsewhere) there is no reason whatsoever that decent-looking builds can't be done on a shoestring budget. I must say, though, that I'm going to have to pick up some ping-pong balls soon. I'm hoping that's my most extravagant purchase for this build! ;)

There's a built kit from 1975 on eBay now- I'm so tempted to get it to work on, but I'm short on coin...

Last edited:

There's a built kit from 1975 on eBay now- I'm so tempted to get it to work on, but I'm short on coin...
[LINK REMOVED]

I think I had that one once upon a time. I have no idea what happened to it. maybe it, also, was lost in a move...
I've thought about building one for a long time, but never took the thought any farther. Then this Atlanthia guy came along.... :unsure

Last edited by a moderator:

Guys, you both need to edit your last posts and remove the actual link to the Ebay auction. I believe that it's against the rules to put up links to an actual auction outside of the junkyard. :)

I believe that it's against the rules to put up links to an actual auction outside of the junkyard. :)
Wow, stupid me, I wasn't thinking of it as a link to an auction, just an example of what was out there.:facepalm

The Eagle was a favorite of mine growing up. I had several models and even had the Mattel one. Looking forward to watching this!

The Eagle was a favorite of mine growing up.
Me too. I had the model in 1975, and I showed it to my uncle, who was an engineer, and he said there was no way it could actually fly.
I never got the sense that he was a very GOOD engineer...:lol

We need more pictures of this build!!!:)

That's a funny thing: most of the engineers I've known aren't exactly the types to be able to suspend disbelief, either!

Most of them can't even suspend their socks, never mind a bridge or anything else!

Last edited:

07/03/12
Hi Guys!
Thanks for your patience on this one. I appreciate it very much.:)
Ok, so I have managed to finish the ribbing on the front end and I am really pleased with the result. They are evenly spaced and all follow a uniformed curve line, which will make it easier to layer with papier mache.

GEDC0792.jpg

GEDC0796.jpg

GEDC0797.jpg

I then started construction of the back half of the command module. I took a leaf out of LMFAOSchwarz's book here and used a slightly different approach, as suggested by him earlier in this thread....the lengths I have to go to just to keep people happy! JUST KIDDING Bob!!! :lol:lol:lol i tried it because I liked the concept and it worked a treat. Here's how it looked...
GEDC0789.jpg

GEDC0790.jpg

The ribbing then went over this, as per the front half...
GEDC0795.jpg

GEDC0799.jpg

GEDC0793.jpg

So, next was the Papier Mache. When doing this, I always cut my newspaper into strips about 4 or 5 cm long and about 1cm wide. (2"x1" approximately) I use the same PVA wood glue that I use during the rest of the construction, but I add 50% water. I tend to do a small area and then hit it with a hair dryer to dry it out really quickly. Then I can concentrate on the next area without having to worry about disturbing what I have already done.
GEDC0800.jpg

GEDC0801.jpg

GEDC0804.jpg

GEDC0802.jpg

This is where the thin little strips come into their own. They lie flat, even on a sharp curve that bends both ways..

GEDC0807.jpg

GEDC0811.jpg

GEDC0809.jpg

The result is better than I would have hoped for. Normally, it gets left to the filler to do most of the the work in getting an even surface, but here, its looking reasonably smooth. Some bumps and dips obviously, but on the whole, pretty good.

The next stage was to smack coat of household filler over the dry papier mache and when that dries, rub it down to really start to knock it into shape. Tomorrow's weather permitting, I will get a coat primer on and then a layer of car body filler/bondo on top of that. I made a start on the preliminary filler coat, and I will finish it tomorrow. Here are a couple of pics to finish off this installment with, and to show you how she looks with a nice smooth(ish) white surface. Not sanded yet, obviously.
GEDC0814.jpg

GEDC0815.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this update on my Eagle Transporter build progress. I will post again soon!

By the way, total outlay so far =£0/$0 :) That's my kind of price!

Last edited:

Hey, looking pretty good so far! Interesting that you're using such small strips of paper on the exterior: whenever I think in terms of papier mache, I always envision strips like 2 inches wide for some reason! Your approach makes a lot more sense than that..no way you'd get any accuracy of contours with pieces too large!
It looks like this is going to be a long build, which will give me plenty of time to get mine started!:)
No reason for asking this other than curiosity...but what made you start with the command module? I haven't decided yet, but I'm considering starting with maybe the spine...

Last edited:
Re: Space 1999 52" Eagle Transporter Scratch Build UPDATE 08/03 (PIC HEAVY!)

Hey, looking pretty good so far! Interesting that you're using such small strips of paper on the exterior: whenever I think in terms of papier mache, I always envision strips like 2 inches wide for some reason! Your approach makes a lot more sense than that..no way you'd get nay accuracy of contours with pieces too large!
It looks like this is going to be a long build, which will give me plenty of time to get mine started!:)
No reason for asking this other than curiosity...but what made you start with the command module? I haven't decided yet, but I'm considering starting with maybe the spine...

Hi Mate! Hope this explains....again!!!:behave :lol:lol:lol You must be losing your marbles! :wacko :lol
OK, I identified pretty early on, that there are two parts to this build , that would prove to be the most difficult to acomplish: the command moule and the 'spine' which runs down the length of the Eagle. The Command Module doesn't have a single solitary straight line on it and the spine has to be built cheaply but still be strong and durable. Out of these two I chose to start on the command Module as, I believe it to be the most difficult part of the build - I am ALL for getting the worst bits done first!

Interesting! You've taken a very different approach than I would have thought of trying, but that's what makes it all the more fun! There's also something 'egg-like' about your first image, which seems appropriate at the first stage of a new project aborning.:)
It's smart to approach this doing the hard parts first. Otherwise, you might be, mentally at least, painting yourself into a corner. I've done this myself a few times!
I can't wait to see this progress: I'm already wondering how you'll approach the rear thrusters. I've got my own idea of what I'd do, but like I said that's the interesting part, too see how someone else would approach the same thing. Not unlike one band's approach to a remake of a familiar old song, actually!
Nice start!

Last edited:

Wow...I am losing my marbles!:facepalm
Which probably won't improve over time, once I get started on this monster (even tho' it'll only be a 39 inch monster)!
Look out, A: I'm catching up!:lol

Last edited:

That's going to be ridiculously cool!!! are you starting with the command module, too?

I'm thinking about it, yes. It might be interesting to watch two builds at once. piece by piece, the same piece. Might give some kind of continuity to the thread. What say you?

I say, bring it on! and then we will put it to the vote and the winner gets to smash up the loser's model....oh.....no....that's just me that smashes my own models up, isn't it....:$
Just kidding Bob. Seriously, the more the merrier. I understand that some people simply do not feel comfortable starting their own thread. So, in the true spirit of The RPF I will gladly share my thread with you all. If anyone else would also like to build an Eagle, whether it be 2 inches long or full size, please also feel free to post on this thread if you would like to! I will change the thread title to "Eagle Transporter Build thread" if enough people join the party. The only thing I would ask is that you share your build techniques etc as well as the pictures. so that we can all benefit from it, discuss it and learn from it. Maybe we could even get it "stickied" like the X-Wing thread at some stage:)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back