Firefly/ Serenity Jayne Cobb T-Shirts

So now that we have seen the actual artwork, something I am wondering is whether or not the gradient colors in the gun are silkscrened or airbrushed? Those are some pretty smooth color transitions....any thoughts??

-Ss

Could all be iron-on. I noticed that those things have a tendancy to fade & crack rather quickly.

It would have made the design work easier (not having to incorporate weathering in the image), but if the iron-ons are opaque, then you'd have to be very careful when cutting it out and applying it.

-Mike

Originally posted by Sith Sheriff Brody@Nov 8 2005, 11:43 AM
Could all be iron-on. I noticed that those things have a tendancy to fade & crack rather quickly.

It would have made the design work easier (not having to incorporate weathering in the image), but if the iron-ons are opaque, then you'd have to be very careful when cutting it out and applying it.

-Mike
[snapback]1112270[/snapback]​

Hmmmm, I've never worked with the computer print-out iron on transfers.....wonder how well they work with a pre-dyed tee? I might have to do some experimenting with the sample I get :D

-Ss

Weird digging up such an old thread, but does anyone know where to find a good image of the Fighting Elves (28)T-shirt picture?? I would love to try making my own shirt for once.
'Blues

BUMP

Sorry to bump the thread, but I was the designer. I could answer some questions maybe if you'd like about some of the shirts.

The "Smoking Asian Lady" shirt has always been a favorite. Like the "Dead Fish" shirt, the image turns up a couple of times in different sizes and on different shirts. What was the original source of this image, if you don't mind sharing. I have heard that the shirts were made using iron-on transfers - is this right? Some of them definitely look silk screened. I've made a couple for my own use (they get used on "Firefly Fridays at work - like tomorrow) and I have also purchase a couple of the QMX shirts. The ones that I have made are not available commercially and are based on my own interpretation of the screen used designs - yours, apparently.

Well, I should have started with this, but THANKS! for contributing to the depth of the texture on one of my favorite shows.

David

Well, I figured it was time to quantify the list...

The shirt from the pilot with the shoulder design is 'Water'
The shirt Jayne wears a few times, with the character on his left breast is his 'soldier' shirt
'Blue Sun' is obvious
The orange shirt with the 28 in the middle translates to 'The Fighting Elves'
The shirt from "Jaynestown' with the pistol in the middle translates to 'troublemaker'
The shirt with a picture of DylanWho on it front and center (anyone surprised that I knew that?) translates to 'dumb as a wooden chicken' Jayne wears it in "Trash"
The shirt Jayne wears in "Safe" with the four square panels in it translates to 'philanthropic service organization'.
The shirt Jayne wears with the pixelated tiger translates to 'perfect cat'. He wears this shirt in "Heart of Gold"
He wears 'Pin up Girl' in "Objects in Space"
He wears 'Smoking Girl' in "Out of Gas"
And he wears a long sleeved 'Talking Head' with his Cunning Hat in "The Message".

That should be all of his printed shirts from the series, I think. Though he does wear a few other shirts as well, and of course there are those from the movie.
Did I miss any?

Sourced from here; FAQ and Resources - Firefly-Serenity Chinese Pinyinary
here; firefly_daily: Jayne's shirts - a translation
and here; jayne among a few other places. :)

BUMP

Sorry to bump the thread, but I was the designer. I could answer some questions maybe if you'd like about some of the shirts.

With all THAT said, Dylanwho, please don't apologize! It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance! There are no doubt a LOT of people who (like myself) have been waiting over a decade to complete their Jayne shirt collections.

I've even gone so far as to buy original artwork for a couple of Jayne's Shirts.
Philanthropic Service Organization
Troublemaker
(Shawna held an eBay auction or two)

So, I guess, my first question to you would be, do YOU still have any of the artwork you used in the series?
As a member of fireflyprops.net, I'm interested in just about ANYTHING you might still have.
Right down to the three colored boxes you can sometimes see above the commo panels aboard Serenity. :)

I do have the art to be sure, but the waters are murky in terms of my ability to disseminate it. There are certain things I DO have control over, for example I used my own likeness in a couple of them. If you can see where this is going...

As far as availability goes, it looks like QMx now has just the Blue Sun and Serenity Troublemaker in certain sizes and the Fighting Elves shirt. (and a not screen accurate pinup) Can any of the other shirts be bought anywhere? I'm interested in the Firefly Troublemaker and the Water shirt.

The "Smoking Asian Lady" shirt has always been a favorite. Like the "Dead Fish" shirt, the image turns up a couple of times in different sizes and on different shirts. What was the original source of this image, if you don't mind sharing. I have heard that the shirts were made using iron-on transfers - is this right? Some of them definitely look silk screened. I've made a couple for my own use (they get used on "Firefly Fridays at work - like tomorrow) and I have also purchase a couple of the QMX shirts. The ones that I have made are not available commercially and are based on my own interpretation of the screen used designs - yours, apparently.

Well, I should have started with this, but THANKS! for contributing to the depth of the texture on one of my favorite shows.

David

The smoking Asian lady. That's an interesting tale. The image was brought to me for another purpose, but we couldn't get legal to sign off on its use. Or we did, but not in time, but it's likely the first, since we didn't use it. So the smoking Asian lady sat there in my files, and was simply neglected.

I wasn't hired for Serenity, but I did have some phone meetings with a producer (name I cannot recall) who was trying to verify whether or not everything on my discs (it's a work for hire for Fox, I don't own my work at this point!) was all produced by me, nothing reused or that could not be considered as a resource modified sufficiently by me, etc.

I said something to the effect of "Yes, every single thing EXCEPT the picture of the smoking Asian lady. It's probably a good idea not to use that."

So then we see a smoking Asian lady. Nice work, dudes. Maybe they got it clear? I don't know.

Yes, all the shirts were iron-on transfers. We did them very last minute. Shawna had a great idea that Jayne would be kind of a doofus in some ways, and wear the equivalent of those "Big Johnson" or "Bad Boy" shirts that a lot of guys were wearing at the time. So our goals were to hit all the cheesy notes, like GUN and some weird sports team FIGHTING ELVES. I think Blue Sun was screened since it was one color, and we knew we were going to see a lot of them. Of course, if you hadn't noticed, the first appearance is transliterated and wrong. HA! So... Silk-screen AGAIN.

The QMX shirts are great... the Fighting Elves one even has the little bits of white that should have been cut out of the transfer. We were a first season show... There was only five of us in the art department/design team. I was there at least 13 hours a day every day. And I loved it, especially seeing the shirts living on with such ferocity!

Thanks for the great story!

Jayne's character never seemed like a clothes horse, and the idea that those shirts may have been things that he "picked up" along the way mays sense.

They are all great designs and are sufficiently obscure to fit in the reality of the show.

Nice work, Bronson!

"Philanthropic Service Organization" made me blink for a second though...

And then I remembered that it was a loose translation for my band, Service Group, that is featured in the design. HA!

Looks like I have to sign up for a few forums, huh? I can't see a damn thing!

Nice work, Bronson!

"Philanthropic Service Organization" made me blink for a second though...

And then I remembered that it was a loose translation for my band, Service Group, that is featured in the design. HA!

Looks like I have to sign up for a few forums, huh? I can't see a damn thing!

Wait, so does that mean your face is on TWO of Jaynes' shirts?
What does the un-messed-with original image of 'Service Group' look like?

Last edited:
THAT I can help you with. I will dig them up. I can also give you the original wooden chicken image I took of myself. The rest is up to you, Bronson!

Dylan,

If you can share any of the images that you have control of, I would be grateful for a copy. I worked up a copy of the pilot Water shirt a while back. it is a pain to iron on to a shoulder.

David

Dylan,

If you can share any of the images that you have control of, I would be grateful for a copy. I worked up a copy of the pilot Water shirt a while back. it is a pain to iron on to a shoulder.

David

Yeah, actually, I'd also like to see any shirt art that almost was. It would be interesting to see what else 'might' have been in Jayne's closet.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back