Ghostbusters Wand question

howlingwind13

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have built 4 proton packs in my time, and have seen the movie a million times.
BUT thanks to Blu ray, I have found somethings on the wand that I have never seen before:facepalm
And have never heard mentioned or seen on other replica packs...Now through looking at the web for the last hour I have seen it on a very select few builds...so what is this green covered thingy circled in red?

Also on a side note never noticed the the screws in circled white and red :facepalm

Any info on the green switch?
Man I just can't stop seeing it now...

mike

that green trigger is what makes the clear tip extend during the scene where they first get off the elevator at the hotel, it connects to the smaller disc on the other side of the gun via a metal rod, and I think the screws in the handle have something to do with the twisting front handle which some people think extends the tip as well

The two screws/bolts with gold washers hold the front portion of the barrel into the small collar that extends out from the Gun Box. You can see in this topic at GBFans Link
-that the screws are now missing from the Proton Gun, leading to the front barrel starting to slide out.

It should also be noted, that the Proton Gun in the screenshot you've posted is the detailed prop in the topic I've posted.

Always been there.
newwand2.jpg

Lots of builders have replicated them too!

Always been there.
newwand2.jpg

Lots of builders have replicated them too!

My concern is not with the screws, Just mentioning, I never noticed them. I am however, looking for the info on the green switch...any info on what it is or do I just have to fab it up.

Yep that pic was posted by Kingpin...thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
I guess I was actually wondering if it was a store bought "found" item or if it's just a fabricated wire. The green on it, made me think it might have been a bought item. But thanks for info, learn something new everyday.

Thanks for posting the vid of the barrel extending...I have seen this movie over a hundred times and never noticed the barrel extending in that scene.
Appreciate the help fellas:thumbsup

mike

Same here until the GIF showed up I just thought the clear tubes varied in lengths. Someone went into great detail about twisting the wand to extend the clear tube but I think they were just made to swivel.

I believe most wands from the Gbfans board extend the acrylic tube by twisting the front handle. And the green lever is just for looks.

Negative, look close at the GIF. There is no twisting motion. The only movement is the green thumb lever then the clear tip.
I believe most wands from the Gbfans board extend the acrylic tube by twisting the front handle. And the green lever is just for looks.

The green bit isn't a unique found part or anything. It's just green Clippard tubing slipped over the metal rod. Basically, just ben a piece of stock, slip it into a hole drilled into the side, matching the center of the small knob on the opposite side, and you're golden!

11756-dsc00984.jpg

Isn't it nice when people actually answer your questions!

No it's awesome. :) Thanks for the info just starting a few packs in the next week or so. :thumbsup
Anyone have any info on the thrower tip and how it extends? Is it simply a sized tube inside that is spring loaded? Anyone have any info on that? :love

The green bit isn't a unique found part or anything. It's just green Clippard tubing slipped over the metal rod. Basically, just ben a piece of stock, slip it into a hole drilled into the side, matching the center of the small knob on the opposite side, and you're golden!

11756-dsc00984.jpg

Isn't it nice when people actually answer your questions!

You can do two types, spring loaded tip, which is a pain to work around most lighting kits, or a simple push rod, which is how the prop makers pulled it off. Not too terribly hard.

You can do two types, spring loaded tip, which is a pain to work around most lighting kits, or a simple push rod, which is how the prop makers pulled it off. Not too terribly hard.

Finhead: I used this method on 2 packs HERE

Thank you both for the very quick replies. :) Since I have both a mill and lathe I'll build the spring loaded piece looks very easy to do, might use a spring rather than the rubber band. But the link makes it clear as day. :thumbsup

Source? The way they snap out on screen suggests spring loading, rather than a pushrod which would yield a slower, smoother action. Also, if you look at the GIF above, his thumb pops back up after depressing the lever, like the lever itself is spring loaded.

I've got both lights and a spring-loaded tip in my thrower. It's tight but it all fits.

Without being able to open up one of the original props it's all guesswork, however I'm not convinced for the time being that anything was spring-loaded.
Aykroyd's hand movement could easily be his own movement, as the level doesn't appear to have moved after he's pushed it down (but I'll conceed that without a better shot, we'll never truely know).

That being said, although it's not known with complete certainty, it's a reasonable conclusion that the lever and barrel mechanism were probably achieved with pushrods. A spring-loaded mechanism seems quite an expensive development just for a quick gimmick.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back