Long Range Shuttle - Surak

dbhs

My new project is a scratch-built Studio Scale replica of the Vulcan Shuttle Surak, officially known as the Long Range Shuttle. This project has been in research, planning, and development for over two years now and I'm really excited to have it off the drawing boards and taking physical form.

First off I'd like to give a huge -HUGE- thank you to all of the people who helped me to make this project a reality. In addition to help from friends on the modeling forums a lot of time also went into finding information from people and sources not available on the boards. Although time consuming, it paid off in spades. The help from all of these generous people are what made this project a reality and I am very grateful.

This photo is a screen cap, of course, and shows the model as it appeard in the movie. My goal is to duplicate the original filming model, as it actually appeared, in all its glorious 'pinkness'.

I'll be posting a complete build diary on my website but will post updates as I go.

VS-000.JPG
VS-000.JPG

I'm starting with the nacelles first as they seem to be the trickiest part of the model. My first thought on the nacelles was that the structure inside would be critical. They are long and slender and supported on one end only. They also would need to be as light-weight as possible.

To create the tapered profile I decided to generate a series of ribs each one slightly different as the 6-sided cross section tapered down the length. Perpendicular to the ribs I'm using a square aluminum tube. The ribs are about an inch apart with additional ones added in for specific details. There's about 50 ribs total along the length.

After drawing profiles of the nacelles in AutoCAD I generated a series of cross-sectinal ribs. I'm cutting the ribs out of 1/8" thick cast-acrylic with a laser cutter. To do this economically I got a membership at the TechShop in San Francisco. The TechShop is a membership-based workshop with just about every tool you can imagine. They're fairly new and opening up new locations all over the country. They have 4 laser cutters at the SF location. They also have a really nice vacuum former and plastic bender which will come in handy later on.

Getting the first few ribs on square to the tube was critical. With the tube clamped down I used these machinist's 1-2-3 blocks to align the ribs and hold them in place while gluing.

Between each rib are three spacers parallel to the tube (top, bottom, and side).

VS-004.JPG

A bit more. Here you can see holes I added to the ribs where the wiring for the lights will run through.

VS-007.JPG
VS-007.JPG

Here's the progress so far in front of the drawing and a Pepsi can for scale. The nacelles are a little under 3 feet long.
VS-010.JPG

VS-010.JPG

This is a prototype test for the sled cross piece. It's cut from 1/4" cast acrylic. It's pretty rigid and should be plenty strong to support the nacelles. On the original model this piece was aluminum plate which was necessary to support the nacelles that were wood covered with plastic sheeting. Bending this to the right shape will be complicated and I'm assuming it will take a few tries to get it right. This will be the first test piece.

VS-011.JPG
VS-011.JPG

Thanks for looking.

-Doug

Last edited:
A studio scale replica of the shuttle has been long overdue.
This is going to be a fun build to watch.
Thanks for taking it on :thumbsup

Thanks for the feedback. This one is a challenge for sure. Just about every part of it is new territory for me but that's what keeps things interesting.

Just great. Always liked this ship. It was a little outside the known Star Trek universe design philosophy (at the time) but still fit in nicely. The paint job will be interesting! It was certainly a unique miniature.

Just great. Always liked this ship. It was a little outside the known Star Trek universe design philosophy (at the time) but still fit in nicely. The paint job will be interesting! It was certainly a unique miniature.

I know what you mean but at the same time I think this design shows a bit of the diversity that would actually exist if the world of Star Trek was more fully explored. I'm glad they didn't just go with reduced versions of the Enterprise nacelles tacked on and instead came up with a more unique design.
I'm definitely looking forward to the painting of this one...perhaps more than any other part of the build.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back