Rose Tyler gun - how can I make one?

GeneralFROSTY

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have someone that wants my help (and when I say help, I mean they want me to make the whole thing) making the giant "Torchwood" gun and I am looking for options on how to go about doing it.
My initial thought is making it out of foam to keep the weight down, but is there something I can coat the foam with to give it a strengthened shell to help avoid easy damage?

I've never carved foam before so suggestions on tools and methods are appreciated.
Anyone that can help - please chime in!

That's the original cyber-gun.

The Rose variant looks like this:

21j85xf.jpg

11ayczt.jpg

I think I'd go with MDF.

MDF would be easiest for detail and keeping its shape, but there's a lot of meat on the front of that thing. If this is for costuming (I assume, since you mention weight and durability), that's going to be a beast to carry around. While technically more durable, heavier might make it more prone to damage, since it will have to be set down repeatedly, and if it gets dropped... yikes. Might want to look at something closer to the M8 build that EvilFX did, which is pretty much a "stunt" version. A rigid skeleton inside, then skinning in thinner foam. Not sure what he painted with. I know some of the Iron Man foam builds use Plasti-dip. I've also seen some foam projects sealed with mod podge if flexibility isn't needed. It's essentially elmers glue. Seal well, or make sure your paints don't eat foam.
Look at me, telling you stuff like you're not already crazy skilled. I've seen your incredible builds.:facepalm

Full disclosure, I haven't done much myself, I've just been hitting every thread I can in prep for my own foam build.

Last edited:
I am looking for more reference photos of this thing - general measurements would help too - anything you guys can throw at me!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back