Portal Gun - ASHPD (Aged) How It should have looked in Portal 2

acereplicas

I love replicas and when I saw ThrowingChicken was selling some of his superbly well done Portal Gun parts kit, I knew I had to have one. The plan was to shoot a fake History Channel Documentary on Portal Technology with different model Portal Guns, but we (my team) decided to not do it.

I have made several Portal Guns and other Portal replicas, however they have always been modeled after Portal 1 and always looked brand new... Needless to say I though I would try something a little different after a paint accident on the shell castings happened.

After playing Portal 2 I felt unsatisfied with the look of the Portal Gun over the course of time from the events in the first game. However long the time period was (no one knows) all the gun had to show for it was a few scratches and dirt marks, while the rest of the Enrichment Center is collapsing? Nah, I didn't buy it. After all, it was found on the ground under some rusty pieces of the former incinerator.

I'm never one for taking progress pictures, because I forget to, but thought I would share what I have.

Some of you will like it, maybe even love it, while some of you will curse my name and shout to the heavens about how I could perform such an atrocity. This is my personal gun, so I really don't care if you dont like it.

The gun isn't finished yet, I need to do the prongs still.

It all starts with a kit.
6914734703_bc1fcfb1e0_b.jpg

Then I painted it with Valspar High Gloss White paint.

6914737393_988b0c0682_b.jpg

Then I messed it up by spraying a heavy application of clear coat on it at once.
Yeah it was my fault, rookie mistake.

6914739449_4192c3e5ac_b.jpg

"What the h*** why not?"
So I just decided to go with it. It is a combo of glossy black, flat brown and Rust-Oleum textured spray.

6914742053_b8c9377823_b.jpg

6914743521_e561a74252_b.jpg

Maybe a little too much for the front.
6914744965_0a1df7b2c1_b.jpg

Wiring all the LEDs.
I think there are about 10 all togetherwired to a three way switch. No sound in this gun.
6914746421_3148e17582_b.jpg

Painting on the scratched metal look.
Tried to get all the spots I though would see the most stress after however long the time period was, I was shooting for about 1,000 years.

6914747879_3c5ca8ef8f_b.jpg

6914749217_84e49f80e7_b.jpg

6914750723_bc146de5d2_b.jpg

So far this is where it is at.
Out with the new and in with the old. The newer looking gun is one of the guns I made for the Aperture Science Facebook page.

6914752007_eb52e8d10b_b.jpg

6914753393_b62ed50be7_b.jpg

6914755905_4d42654c4f_b.jpg

6914754733_31e8b0b248_b.jpg

6914757637_4512874d7a_b.jpg

6914758689_a9b4a2ba78_b.jpg

6914760105_bb72f5994e_b.jpg

6914761857_55505da348_b.jpg

Ageing a piece is always tricky, I think the cracked glaze looks really good :thumbsup , plastics do tend to get brittle and crack as they get older.

I personally don't like the look of the grime, too heavy, although I have to agree it probably would look like that after sitting under piles of steel for years.

And I would have taken a different approach to the black area, maybe started with a file and done some physical damage to it, then tried to recreate cracking / chipping paint by using masking fluid (because that's how I painted my Bobba Fett helmet), also maybe a bit of rust? assuming it's steel

But that's just a difference in approach, I definitely like the idea that as a lab prototype it wouldn't stay fresh after all those years.

Giving it some thoughts, yeah, the Portal Gun should have been less "brand-new", especially where you find the two guns ( If memory serves, you have two guns in the 2, one that can shoot only one portal and the second one can shoot both ).

The paint job is cool, I find this result very convincing. But why not carve some recesses in the white parts, like they could have took some damages by falling stuff or so ? :)

The cracking on the rear shell looks pretty neat, actually. Personally, I think you should pull back a little with the weathering, especially in the black areas. Maybe consider doing a few layers of silver paint then a layer of black, then sanding and scraping that a little.

Agreed. With weathering, less is often more.

Would suggest taking back most of the dark scuffs; they look as though they've been painted/smudged on.

I think this could look really good, just needs to be dialled back a bit.

Unfortunately - more of the same..in my opinion the weathering I think is a bit 'overkill', a bit more subtle would go further with the realism. Great builds though, just looks like you had too much fun in the paint process.

So I took your advice and went back and toned down the scratches. Guess I went a little over the top with it. I will have pictures up later.

Think of it like this; it probably sat there in one spot for however many years, so what kind of damage would it take? Assume it is made out of highest quality materials (this is Aperture Science, after all, not some thrown together Black Mesa project) and then go from there. Also think about the kinds of things that would be getting on it. Mud and dust, for example, which are more brown in color instead of black. Get all the black off and dip the thing in coffee or something.

i think after 10,000 years the miniature black hole's cooling fan would have run out of power and caused the gun to blow up, but hey, we need ASHPDs to play portal, so suspension of disbelief. while 10,000 years would add cobwebs and tons of dust to a piece, not to mention the incinerator's ash, i think you went a little overboard with the dirt because the gun looks too dirty. However, still nice weathering. I made the sword for dishonored recently, and did weathering by first being very clumsy when carving it out of pvc sheets, then roughly sanding with 50 grit followed up by a few coats of black spray paint, then finishing up by using some silver paint powder i had. the powder is VERY fine grains, and meant to be mixed with a whittish binder to produce silver acrylic paint, but it is very useful to put on a cloth and just rub and dab onto surfaces.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back