Arwen's Chase Dress

glad you found the crinkle silk organza. Was about to post when I got to yours saying you found it.. A big clue to the type of fabric is the way it lays in the last pic u posted. The fabric has some 'body' and has a bit of a stiff 'hand' and wants to lay straight because of it. It is not as flimsy as habotai for example.

Cannot wait to see both yours and CelticRuins costumes when done! :thumbsup

I found almost the exact fabric for the undersleeves (thanks to The Costumer's Guide to Movie Costumes and a little creative Googling)! It's a crinkle silk organza in ivory. It's listed on Thai Silks and Exotics silk, the only problem is they both are on backorder.

Thai Silks - $15 a yard (backordered) - Thai Silks - Fabric » Organza » Crinkle Lurex Organza, 36"

Exotic Silks - $7.50 a yard (backordered - and when I tried to add it to my cart, it said I needed to order a minimum of 15 yards. :confused) - Exotic Silks - Fabric » Organza » Crinkle Lurex Organza, 36"

I did end up getting some crinkle silk from an Silk Etsy seller:
Silk fabric leather and vintage buttons by silkfabric on Etsy

It's silver, not silver/creame...but I'm ok with that at the moment. I almost bought her gold, since it has a more creame look to it, but the silver is really pretty, and I think it flows with my fabric choices!

Other than that, that Etsy seller is great! She has silk velvet too...I'm thinking of getting this for remaking my Arwen Requiem: Teal Blue Washed Silk Velvet Fabric fat 1/4 by silkfabric on Etsy

Still chugging along! Bodice is done, save for sewing in the ribbon loops. Completed the base ball stitching last night.

Skirt is pinned on and ready to be sewn! Ribbon is NOT that purple in person. More of a "dusk" color...damn flash -_-.

Why haven't I painted this buckle yet? -_- Also will need to be steamed like crazy!

580910_397638980283515_210288288_n.jpg

427303_397639406950139_234349741_n.jpg

I made this one for the opening of one of the LOTR movies. I actually chain stitch embroidered the collar like an idiot! I painted the sleeve design with pearly white t-shirt paint using a pin as a paint brush (weird, I know). I never did make the belt buckle. I hand dyed silk habotai for the lacings in the front and back and the underskirt petals. Sadly, we had a hard drive crash and this is the only photo I have left of it, found in an old email.

grey4.jpg

Hi everyone!
I did this costume for a Tolkien convention some years ago, here are some pictures of my costume and Evenstar. Arwen Undomiel / Raistlin Majere - Vilkäl
I made also the belt buckle, but it got broken when I was dancing in a huge crowd
Please don t pay attention to the awful wig!!!!
Hope that helps, please feel free to contact me if you have questions!!!

Depends on what I generally need. Big corporate/local fabric stores are good for a few things, but if you're looking for high-quality fabric, look for online dealers. Unless you're lucky enough to have a fabric district near you!

A few sites I frequently buy from:
SilkBaron.com
Syfabrics.com
Etsy.com (search under their fabric/supplies tab! Great small dealers! Especially for saris, silks, trims and more.)
Thunderlilly.com
Denverfabrics.com
Puresilks.biz

wow nadine, your costume is simply fantastic, you should be real proud of what you've achieved, a couple of additions i thought u could add are: some grey suede gloves which are pretty easy to find. an evenstar round your neck and wearing arwen's ring which can be found here.
http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=13128139

if you could add those things to your costume, it would be out of this world. but none the less great job, i look forward to more of your work! :)

I made the lace on my dress on wash away stabilizer, stitched thread on it until it built up enough. I am going to see what digitizing the lace pattern will turn out. So far doing the sleeve pattern on my machine in silver thread turned out really nice.

Sketchy, I actually am wearing gloves and the Evenstar ;). You can't even notice that she's wearing the Evenstar in the movies, as the neckline of the dress covers it up. It does the same for me in my dress.

My buckle is super sculpey with a metal frame. I used Antique Silver acrylic paint.

Astro: Her boots are a-typical riding boots that lace up in the back. They are the same dove grey suede the dress is made from.
0469632449449R_300x400.jpg

They do have the "cross over" pattern in the front, that most elven boots have.
ian.jpg

ref18.jpg

I'm still on the look out for a reasonably priced pair. So grey riding boots are intensely hard to find -_-. I just found some grey suede flat boots that had a few laces in the back that worked for me!

The cobbler on the movie made all the shoes, save for Legolas...which the Costume Department made. They whipped up jodhpurs for him.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back