Forbidden Planet Flight Suit reused in 1960's The Time Machine

paulrw

Well I’ll be damned !

I'm just rewatching George Pal’s 1960 film The Time Machine for the 100th time when I recognised a familiar costume in the scene where Rod Taylor witnesses a nuclear war. Several futuristic wardens were wearing a grey flight suit with ribbed chest details and a distinctive relief design on the shoulders.

Then I recognised it !

It was the same flight suit that Leslie Neilson wore in Forbidden Planet in 1956.

ReusedFilmCostume.jpg

Both films were made by MGM.
Mentor Huebner is credited by IMDB as being in Art Department for both classic films.

Helen Rose is listed as the costume designer on Forbidden Planet but I can’t find any record of her working on The Time Machine......but they are definitely the same costume !!....

Did anyone else notice this ?
I can’t find any reference on the interwebs?

Do I get a Geek medal or at least an Honorary mention on the Big Bang Theory ?

Look closely around the room where George uses the talking rings.

What else do you see?

Ahhhhhhhhh...

C-57D.jpg

...the C-57D navigation globe...

Well, if you're going to pick a classy classic Sci-fi flick to reuse Props from Forbidden Planet is about as iconic as they come...

The silver suit in the first photo was made for FP. Originally they were going to have all of the crew wear radiation armor to remove C-57-D's main core, so they designed and made a costume. The studio then decided that it would be too expensive to make that many suits of radiation armor, so they just wore the duty costumes for the scene.

They also used a FP uniform in "Atlantis, the Lost Continent", but dyed brown.

David.

I wonder if that big globe was also used in The Day The Earth Stood Still? That one showed up on Star Trek, in the 'double universe ships'.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back