WED clay vs Monster Clay

Jayrod9781

I'm going to try my hand at making a silicone bust, I can't decide on the
type of clay I want to sculpt it out of. WED clay, which is a good water based clay or Monster Clay, a non-sulfur oil based clay. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. What's best for this type of work? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

It's all on your own preference. If you already have the clays then no prob but if you are going to buy the clay to start Monster clay is more expensive. I have used both. Both completely different sculpting tactics. At least with Monster if you mess up somewhere in the mold making process your sculpt will stay almost totally intact. WED clay can dry out and when you pull apart your mold the clay will separate. Depending on the size and type of detail you are doing and what you're used to can make a world of difference. I would use Monster clay for smaller projects but that's just me. WED clay however will be quicker to work with. This probably didn't help but if you have a more specific question you can write me. Good luck.

I'm making a life-size bust of a movie character, eventually to be cast
in silicone. I like oil based clays but always found them to be difficult to
smooth out. I've never work with WED, but as far as water-based clays go,
I hear it's one of the best.

i got some wed clay to start sculpting with and it wasnt really what i thought itd be like, so i got some monster clay and it was incredible, if you check out my creature from the black lagoon mask sculpt you can see how it went for me.

It depends on how you work, I love WED since it is easier to work faster, Oil is more involved with heating and takes me longer to get the desired finish. Also do you plan on working on it often or one weekend a month, WED will dry out if left too long, the glycerine content helps slow the process but it still needs to be wrapped and bagged between sittings. I've also heard preference for Oil for hard edged things and WED for organic. I hate Chavant, just had to get that out there.

Tommy

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back