Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - Password in First Post

Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - New Image pg 124!

Been building mine, bit disheartened, The thing fitted my head when it was folded in card but when I resined it got it all nice then cut the back off to fit my noggin in was was too tight grrr so so disappointed that I have to have a break, ever get that? spent weeks getting to the point of going to do the hinges to find it a not going to fit on my head. I just love the helmets you guys are doing, really want one but I think I need to regroup my patience and go a scale or two up. ( Is just the ear section, anyone else have this prob? ) anyways heres some pix, this one will be left in the corner of my shed I think :(View attachment 199390View attachment 199391View attachment 199392

If the ear pieces are hollow (the pieces you still have to add), you can simply cut a hole in the helmet to let your ears go inside the circular pieces you haven't attached yet. May add the extra space you need.

Yes, most people do this and I was gonna suggest the same thing.

Yes, I had that same problem. My helmet was so tight that the ear pieces.gave me bruises on my temple. HOWEVER, I knew it had to fit since I already tested it out when it was still in the paper stage and it fit just right. So I got my dremel and ground away at the ear section as much as I could. I got so deep that I basically removed the Fiberglass around the ears. Fortunately since its a very thick section, it remained very sturdy because of the amount of bondo on those parts. But most importantly, it fit my head perfectly. So in short, so long as you were absolutely certain that it fit when in the paper stage, then its likely those ear pieces just became too thick when fiberglassed. ;)

I had to do this to my glove. It was killing my hand right behind my thumb (towards my wrist) but I dremeled out all the fiberglass cloth on that ridge and almost went back down to the paper and it fits perfectly now.

thx guys, I had looked at the hole in the ear section trick but i feel its just not gonna work. Im over the shock now lol i could have cried.. so back to biss, have cut out the test helmet file for sizing which I should have done in the first place. The one made in pix is .95 scale Im going to try the 1.0 see how that goes then Ill get back into it. Thx again for the comments guys, ill let yo know how I go.

Hey guys just started peping this is my first try at this stuff lemme know what you think

Also mad props to darkside for making the awesome pep files
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371681138.274941.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371681158.956511.jpg

When you are doing the cardstock versions:

1) Do you do the helmet in separate pieces to begin with? If not, which parts do you keep separate? I've heard of 4 or 5 piece helmets. What's up with that? I'm assuming the front piece and chin are kept separate from the rest of the helmet if they are to be motorized/hinged later. And the back of the helmet is left off in order to get your head in.

2) Whats up with the braces on the parts? Are they glue to the rest of the part? Removed pre or post resin?

Thanks!

When you are doing the cardstock versions:

1) Do you do the helmet in separate pieces to begin with? If not, which parts do you keep separate? I've heard of 4 or 5 piece helmets. What's up with that? I'm assuming the front piece and chin are kept separate from the rest of the helmet if they are to be motorized/hinged later. And the back of the helmet is left off in order to get your head in.

2) Whats up with the braces on the parts? Are they glue to the rest of the part? Removed pre or post resin?

Thanks!

1) I am assuming judging from all the builds I've checked out, that assembling the helmet it's best to glue it into a full one piece then once fiberglassing and body filler is complete then use a dremel tool to cut the helmet into the 2,3 or whatever pieces

2) they are supports to help keep the correct shape and I'm assuming you remove them once the part is hardened

hope I helped :)

Another question:

(I just got a Cameo!)

Anyhow, I am using the Mk 7 V2 helmet (thanks Darkside!) and know that I need to use the A4 version (because I've seen in in Pepakura Cameo tutorials). But the file looks to be in landscape not portrait. What do I do?

Another question:

(I just got a Cameo!)

Anyhow, I am using the Mk 7 V2 helmet (thanks Darkside!) and know that I need to use the A4 version (because I've seen in in Pepakura Cameo tutorials). But the file looks to be in landscape not portrait. What do I do?

You don't need to use a4 unless you are not in the states. You print it out with the registration marks and in cameo switch it to landscape

*Facepalm* Naming that helmet model "Sharkmark" was the silliest thing I've done. I've even had people ask me where they could find him. lol!
Much excellence in this thread, though! Glad to see my stuff still being used.

Yeah remove the braces once the part has been hardened with resin. Otherwise fibreglassing the helmet would be an extremely frustrating task indeed. :)

*Facepalm* Naming that helmet model "Sharkmark" was the silliest thing I've done. I've even had people ask me where they could find him. lol!

Lol. I see. I have wondered. Would you like me to change all the references to your RPF username?

Haha...I see the problem there :)) Your reputation should be higher on this forum since you basically did a lot of the work for most IM builders

Lol. I see. I have wondered. Would you like me to change all the references to your RPF username?

Haha, no, thank you. I don't care about credit, I just like that people are using the model.

Haha...I see the problem there :)) Your reputation should be higher on this forum since you basically did a lot of the work for most IM builders

Aww, why thank you!

I think it's a well deserved credit though! :)

Can't thank enough the modeller and unfolder for the amazing job they do!

So, simply...THANK ALL OF YOU GUYS!

First of all, many thanks to sharkhead7854 for providing the model to Darkside501st!!! without any of you I wouldn't have started my helmet! this is the first I build and without a good model and a good pepakura file I would be lost!

So, this weekend I only could work in the helmet for a few hours, but I think I did a big step, I finally cut the back and the front of the helmet! :)

First I wet-sanded the entire helmet, the picture may look bad, but by hand you can feel it's very smooth. This time i did it by hand instead of using an electric sander:
2013-06-23 11.37.12.jpg

Then was when I realized that it was foolish to continue sanding and smoothing as probably I would scratch the helmet during the cuts of the pieces, so I began to cut the back of the helmet. Once cut, I saw the deformation which caused the width of the helmet to contract. Probably I did something wrong with the faceplate, the lines I have marked should be parallel and they aren't:
deformation.jpg

Then, obviously I desperately had to try it to know if it fits! ( I hope you don't mind me being in pijamas :D )
fitting-test.jpg

You can see the helmet probably is too big for me... it's scaled to 1.05, probably 1.0 would have been enough, but thanks to the extra space now I don't have problems despite the stretching in the helmet :D

Then I finally cut the faceplate, this wasn't an easy task at all... and I did some cuts a bit wider than I would like... but I will correct this with filler:
2013-06-23 15.06.50.jpg
2013-06-23 15.20.57.jpg

So, now I have to fill all the gaps and sand it all again, then I will paint it with primer (and sand again). And I also still have to put the screw details! I hope I don't forget this!!

I'm still not sure if I'm going to cast it or not, it surely does cost a lot to do it. I think the cost of the silicone is about 25-30€/kg ( 15$/lb, or you will never know what I mean :D ). But I just want to be sure that if I drop it or if anyone decides to test it's resistance, I will be able to make a copy :D

Also, once done the mold, which is the usual material to do the copies? polyester resin and fiberglass again? or it's better to do it in polyurethane resin? I think polyurethane resin is cheaper, but is it strong enough?

BTW, I already have the paint, I have 2 spray cans of red and 1 of gold. How much paint does it take to do each coat? will I need more? I also bought 1 can of grey (titanium-like) and 1 can of black to do some details.

Hi, iam new here. My name is Martin and i from Argentina. Sorry my english is not very good, soo i gonna do my best!

Iam making my first helmet, from the darkside pep files! (Thank you very much!!). I printed all the papers, and then glued to a cardboard. I build all the helmet, and then added the Resin and the fiberglass. But i have a little problem, becuase the files are made for paper, soo when i try to build in carboard some pieces didnt fit well.

Soo i just wanna know, how you pass from this step

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f24/darkside501sts-iron-man-mk-vii-pepakura-files-new-image-pg-124-photo-.jpg-199118d1371581577

To this one

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f24/darkside501sts-iron-man-mk-vii-pepakura-files-new-image-pg-124-photo-b.jpg-199119d1371581580

What material is that? Or this one

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f24/darkside501sts-iron-man-mk-vii-pepakura-files-new-image-pg-124-imag0046.jpg-199392d1371627901

If you know, please tell me!, thats gonna make much more easy the work!. I gonna upload photos of mine when i finish it.

And one more time, sorry for my english! :)

Im also new to this whole thing and just started downloading the pep files. I just need to know how to scale the files in the pepakura design software. Any information would help! Thanks a bunch

Hi, iam new here. My name is Martin and i from Argentina. Sorry my english is not very good, soo i gonna do my best!

Iam making my first helmet, from the darkside pep files! (Thank you very much!!). I printed all the papers, and then glued to a cardboard. I build all the helmet, and then added the Resin and the fiberglass. But i have a little problem, becuase the files are made for paper, soo when i try to build in carboard some pieces didnt fit well.

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f24/darkside501sts-iron-man-mk-vii-pepakura-files-new-image-pg-124-photo-.jpg-199118d1371581577

To this one

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f24/darkside501sts-iron-man-mk-vii-pepakura-files-new-image-pg-124-photo-b.jpg-199119d1371581580

http://www.therpf.com/attachments/f24/darkside501sts-iron-man-mk-vii-pepakura-files-new-image-pg-124-imag0046.jpg-199392d1371627901

If you know, please tell me!, thats gonna make much more easy the work!. I gonna upload photos of mine when i finish it.

Im also new to this whole thing and just started downloading the pep files. I just need to know how to scale the files in the pepakura design software. Any information would help! Thanks a bunch

Check out STEALTH's videos on YouTube, they really help!

Here's part one of the playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbDXidgCwqI&list=SPCOPUfMhXjM9u6MwsiwlfIz21YpenLuNb

I think is best for you to see a series of videos on how to do the whole process, there are a lot of steps between the pictures you have put.
I recommend you watch this:
IRON MAN HELMET BUILD PART 1 ~ CUTTING & ASSEMBLING - YouTube
IRON MAN HELMET BUILD PART 2 ~ RESIN & FIBERGLASS - YouTube
IRON MAN HELMET BUILD PART 3 ~ FINE TUNING PRIOR TO BONDO - YouTube
IRON MAN HELMET BUILD PART 4 ~ BONDO FIRST COAT - YouTube
IRON MAN HELMET BUILD PART 5 ~ TEETH REDUX - YouTube
IRON MAN HELMET BUILD PART 6 ~ SANDING & SHAPING BONDO - YouTube
IRON MAN HELMET BUILD PART 7 ~ EARPIECE REDUX - YouTube
IRON MAN HELMET BUILD PART 8 ~ LIP REDUX - YouTube
IRON MAN HELMET BUILD PART 9 ~ BONDO COATS 2 & 3 PLUS PRIMER - YouTube
IRON MAN HELMET BUILD PART 10 ~ EYE DETAIL & FINAL REVISIONS - YouTube

I know they are in english but even if you don't fully understand them you will see the whole process. If you have some specific question you can ask.

Not much people use cardboard, it would have been better if you had used a thick paper (en español, cartulina, no el cartón corrugado que es demasiado rígido, pero en inglés le llaman igual a las dos cosas...). For the corrugated cardboard I think is best to use the foam files instead of the paper ones.

To this one

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back