Best toys of the 70's

Oh man, so many memories of this stuff. I can remember a few of the things I had:

Mattel Space 1999 Eagle playset

Flying Aces planes (didn't have the carrier though, remember the BSG version with Vipers?)

Hot Cycle (the cooler version of the Big Wheel, which added a drag brake a few years later probably to compete with the Green Machine, safer to drive too)

And of course I had the Star Wars toys when they came out. While most of my vintage SW stuff is long gone, I did keep a Takara wind up R2-D2 which I got, thanks to my family being stationed in Okinawa in 1978-79 (the one toy Lucasfilm wanted imported that Kenner never did import to the states, but it could be found in Canada).

I never had a Starbird as a kid, but I did purchase one a couple years ago (I may refurbish it with a new paintjob).

As for other cool things, anyone else remember "Chutes Away" (I believe I had the Night Rescue version)?
Chutes Away

The Southbend Electronics TMP Enterprise and Phaser game were a couple cool toys that squeeked into the end of 1979 (I still have the Phasers, which predated Laser Tag by about 5 years, you shot the guns instead of other targets).

Tomy Pocket Cars were somewhat popular in the 1970s (they never caught on like Matchbox or Hot Wheels, but you had some cool cars in the line, such as F1 cars with tobacco sponsorships).

I still have Girder and Panel stuff stored away. I had the Airport set. Anyone remember Matchbox Build-a-road? Buildaroad I think first came out in the 1960s, but sets were still being made in the 1970s. Combined with Matchbox cars and Girder and Panel, you could do some cool things.

And then we had Fisher Price who came out with the "Adventure People" action figures about three years before Kenner did their first 3 3/4" Star Wars action figures. They had some cool sets available as I recall (before they got goofy with space themed ones to try and compete with Star Wars).

And no mention of 1970s toys would be complete without the Dinky Toys of that era, such as the UFO Interceptor, the Eagles (freighter and transporter), Thunderbird 2 (blue in color in the 1970s) and some of the more common types they made back then.

You've got a 1979 B.O.B.? I never saw one in the States, only VINCENT!

Yeah they were only available in Canada and Europe I believe. :cool

I'd love to get a VINCENT to go with him though.

Man I had a lot of the Fisher Price Adventure People JMChadlek mentioned. They all had smiles on their faces... and just about all the ones I had, had goggles and racing helmets. :lol

Kevin

scaled.php

Pet Rock was the BEST!......Oh, wait a minute...actually, Pet Rock kind of sucked in the 70's. :behave

Slung the cars around the track for hours:
Thundershift_500.jpg

Creepy as fk toy:
hugo2.jpg

Apes toys:
apesfortress.jpg

Marx Geronimo:
Geronimo.jpg

With horse:
e8dc82338aa2582bfb93f40b3e2af7bb.jpg

Video game so ancient, the ball was an LED on an arm that swung back and forth:
Blip-762763.jpg

Cool game:
jawsgame.jpg

Last edited:
Blip-762763.jpg

Cool game:
jawsgame.jpg

That video game seems familiar. I forgot all about that Jaws game. That brings back some memories. Wow.

Wow, I figured this many pages in and we'd see it. Presenting one of My favorites when I was little. Rock Em sock em robots.

Had ALOT of the stuff posted here or have played with most of them. 1977 came and I was so stoked about the Star Wars figures. My cousin had the toy landspeeder. Spent one Summer and he gave it to me. I told him and his Brother I couldn't keep it and I promised to give it to him. 20 years later he was killed. After the funeral we went to my Aunt's house. His younger Brother and I talked about old times and when we were little. I asked if he remembered my promise when we were little and he did. Couldn't believe I still had it. We're in our 40's now and he STILL has it. Reason for my story? Toys are so much more valuable to me that are played with then the ones in the boxes. SO many memories shared with my kids and now my nephews.

View attachment 105818
View attachment 105822

Thundershift_500.jpg

Creepy as fk toy:
hugo2.jpg

Apes toys:
apesfortress.jpg

Marx Geronimo:
geronimo.jpg

With horse:
7121012-1.jpg

Blip-762763.jpg

Cool game:
jawsgame.jpg

So YOU are the one who stole all my Christmas stuff!!! I swear, I had every one of these!! That racetrack was the BOMB!! I had 100s of Hotwheels and there was this one white Mustange that would beat any other car everytime, so matter if it was on the inner or outer track!

Johnny West stuff was so freaking cool!! Big toys and highly detailed stuff!! I remember the year I got that Geronimo. Of course everything came from the Sears catalog back then. AND to go see Santa you went to the Sears store and stood in line with EVERY kid in town for hours to see him. I finally got to tell him my list and I forgot to tell him about the Geronimo!! I cried and cried but Mom and Dad would not let me go back to see Santa again. I knew I was screwed!! Lo and behold, on Christmas morning--there was Geronimo!!! I realized then and there that Santa was better than *****!! Santa's powers were real!!:lol

I cannot believe no one mentioned this playset, I still have this one as well.
eagle1t.jpg

At the very top of this page, first toy mentioned.

I had one, my brother had one and we played with them constantly. I wish I hadn't given mine away to a younger child when I outgrew it. It was in perfect shape.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back