Star Trek - Enaran 'Telepathic' Instrument - Build & Finished

Alan Castillo

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
In the episode "Remember" from Star Trek Voyager, they 'give a ride' to a race called the Enarans.

The race is capable of transmitting memories etc through telephathy.

A member of the group plays an Enaran musical instrument, and 'assists' Janeway through telepathy when she has a go at playing the instrument.

This is a picture of the original prop

originalprop-846x671.jpg

It is, however, IMO, much more beautiful on screen :love

enaSG1-854x655.jpg

enaSG2-854x656.jpg

enaSG3-853x654.jpg

enaSG4-855x656.jpg

enaSG5-855x656.jpg

Of course I had to fall in love with this prop and have one for myself :lol

Naturally, as usual, so long as when I finshed it looked somewhat like the prop and shouted "Enaran musical instrument ! " at me, I'd be happy :)

I was going after the finishing as it is seen on screen.

Step one, one of my (in)famous 'blueprints' :lol

enabp-854x634.jpg

Have shelving wood left in the garage, but I had to glue two pieces together to give it the correct thickness

ena1-848x572.jpg

Drew the outline

ena2-847x571.jpg

And on a thinner sheet, drew the outine again, but made it a couple of mm's wider (look closely, and you will see the 'join the dots game :lol)

ena3-846x570.jpg

Cut out 2 thick templates, and the slightly wider thin one

ena4-848x572.jpg

ena5-851x574.jpg

Drew and cut out the top raised decorative shapes

ena6-851x574.jpg

And sanded them at an angle on the sides to give it the sloping shape.

ena7-851x574.jpg

Wood filler, and then sanded again to smoothen.

ena8-848x572.jpg

Now the fun part :lol

The sides of the thicker part of the prop are also slanting at an angle.

I was not about to invest in a router to achieve that, but I have this, a heavy duty grinder with a sanding attachment.

Muuaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha :lol

ena9-844x569.jpg

So after holding on for dear life at a couple of thousand revs per minute :lol, and applying the beast to the sides of the wood, this was achieved

ena10-845x570.jpg

Talk about a bull in a china shop :lol

But, at least I could fine-sand it down and fix the ugly bits with filler, to be sanded later for the finishing touches.

ena11-847x571.jpg

After that, I REALLY wished I had invested in a router, because what I had to do next was a major pain in the backside.

No router, but a hobby drill secured to a small workbench with electrical fasteners will do just fine :lol

ena12-457x683.jpg

I had to switch the drill on, and slowly pass the edge of the thinner sheet on it, so as to make a groove in the 5mm thick sheet :wacko

ena13-864x583.jpg

And once all the sanding and finishing was almost done, I finally had the correct slants on all 3 pieces.

ena14-860x580.jpg

Stuck the layers all together.

(I collect props, not clamps. OK ? At least I didn't use cases of Sangria this time :lol

ena15-856x577.jpg

Now for the dome part.

originalprop-846x671.jpg

I was after making the 'propeller' thingies you can see, one thick, and another thinner one that tapers off towards the top. I also wanted to make what looks like alternate 'dividers' of sorts at the base of the dome.

So, enter one plastic lettuce preserver for the fridge :lol, some chrome tape used for cars, a plastic lid, a knob that came lord knows from where, the leftover brass sheet from my Vulcan Lamp build, a piece of rod from the mod I made to the Playmates Klingon disruptor :lol, and some thin sheets of wood that were left over for 'floor planking' from a wooden model ship.

ena16-853x575.jpg

Drew the base on a sheet of cardboard, divided the circle into equal parts, and glued the planking wood on alternate strips

ena17-850x573.jpg

Cut out the circle, and stuck on the plastic lid, a bit of the rod, topped off by the knob.

ena18-853x575.jpg

Cut the brass sheet into strips

ena19-851x573.jpg

And finally, cut out bits of wood for the 'control buttons' on the side of the instrument.

ena20-848x572.jpg

Which were then sanded down to shape.

ena21-848x572.jpg

And here she is, after sticking all the bits together and painting :)

enaf1-985x711.jpg

enaf2-980x601.jpg

enaf3-974x513.jpg

enaf4-970x629.jpg

enaf5-836x819.jpg

enaf6-986x576.jpg

enaf7-859x792.jpg

enaf8-975x660.jpg

enaf9-970x657.jpg

enaf10-972x691.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful Alan! I'm continually amazed by your abilities to make such intricate and realistic looking prop replicas from just seeing something on screen and then simply deciding to make it. I truly envy your imagination and skills my friend. People like you really are what this forum is all about. Kudos! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Beautiful Alan! I'm continually amazed by your abilities to make such intricate and realistic looking prop replicas from just seeing something on screen and then simply deciding to make it. I truly envy your imagination and skills my friend. People like you really are what this forum is all about. Kudos! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Couldn't have said it any better. This is remarkable Alan.

Fellows, your responses have literally floored me :cry (not kidding)

I am SO happy you like it. THAT is what makes it all worthwhile for me :) :thumbsup

Alan, do you just sit around thinking of what obscure props you should build? :lol

Nope, they just call out my name when watching episodes :lol

Really, that's what happens ! I'll be watching a series (as you can probably tell from my last 3 builds, the last one was Voyager :lol), and I make a mental note to look to buy a replica of a prop, and if all fails, to try and make it :lol

I'm very impressed as well. Especially with how well you can work with plywood, which I find very difficult to cut intricate shapes out of without it splintering like crazy.

Thanks again friends. What a way to start my day :)

I'm very impressed as well. Especially with how well you can work with plywood, which I find very difficult to cut intricate shapes out of without it splintering like crazy.

I too am impressed Ryan.

Not at any skill, but with my luck :lol

I am still using left over super-el-cheapo plywood I bought almost 10 years ago, and only use a run-of-the-mill one-handed Skill jigsaw that is equally as old.

Maybe its because I don't rush, and take my time cutting (?).

Thanks Kenny :)

BTW Ryan, I just realised that I don't use a wood blade with the jigsaw, but one for metal. You almost can't see the teeth.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back