MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

This thing looks like crap. Mattycollector continues to insult the intelligence of their consumer base. I am PISSED that this thing is not damn near perfect, considering Bob Gale had the actual prop(s) and the SFX supervisor Michael Lantieri consulted with Mattel.

They could careless who is insulted by their choices. All inaccurate and previous items sold out in hours. They know these are already sold out via pre-order... So why should they give a crap? They know people will snatch them up no matter what they look like.

As my first post on this thread and others centered on, I am hoping that as this is a work prototype, they the real issue is that they have lacked in communicating the latest work on this project and that the quality and accuracy is not the issue but rather the marketing and communication.

Given their track record, I have confidence in the final product.

As my first post on this thread and others centered on, I am hoping that as this is a work prototype, they the real issue is that they have lacked in communicating the latest work on this project and that the quality and accuracy is not the issue but rather the marketing and communication.

Given their track record, I have confidence in the final product.

Definitely. They are a HUGE company, and they should have everything they need to make this perfect(though I do not expect it 100%)
If they need to push back the release date to improve the product, then DO IT.
I'm not going to pull out my pre-order because I still have hope that they can fix (most of) these problems, and if they do, it's worth the price.
If they don't fix it by the release date I'll sell the mini board and toss the big one infront of a train :lol

Here is a render I did of the hero hoverboard (from scratch). I used the the best possible measurements and was able to get a vector drawn of the actual hoverboard logo. The colors are 100% accurate from years of researching, and the lenticular art is a copy of the exact material used in the film

This is not the printed stunt board. This is the hoverboard that was used in all the opening hero shots.

This is the one I want.

http://i.imgur.com/Dhgeb.jpg

Comparing the Lenticular Hero Hoverboard to the Stunt Hoverboard:

BMonO.jpg

Matty forum member Ojobenito has followed up his previous post with another detailed guide listing all the possible flaws along with great reference pictures all combined into a single image file.

The definitive guide to spotted Hoverboard flaws. - Topic

"Hi guys.

I had some time and I wanted to make a guide to Mattel and to all of you about the flaws I've spotted on the different versions of the hoverboard replica. I think maybe it's too late to fix some of them, but maybe some can be fixed.
I made a post some days ago, and now I wanted to add some more things to it and make it more vissually appealing.

I've made the guide in a huge image (it's a 2,7mb vertical jpg), but it was easier for me to add photos and things like that.
I hope you like it, you read it (it's long, I warn you), and I hope someone from Mattel can take a look and do something if there is still time. I don't know.

Also, I've found this video of one of the best conserved original hero hoverboards, from the collection of Screenused. In the video you can see all things I write about in the image, as the velcro stripes, the spacings, etc. Please take a look:
ScreenUsed Mattel Hoverboard - YouTube "

hoverboardflaws.jpg

A good "guide". But Ojobenito made one big mistake: he just compared with the stunt board and not with the hero board too. There are big differences between these two boards. Example: the yellow spacing between "HOVER" and "BOARD" is correct at Mattel's prototype, if you compare it with the hero board. And the yellow corner IS higher at the hero board than at the stunt board.

I have a good solution for Mattel, if they want to use my files: I'm just working on the vector graphics for the Hoverboard decals. Both, the hero and the stunt version! And as usual, you will get them for free download after I finished my work. Here's my first preview:

attachment.php

Last edited:
A good "guide". But Ojobenito made one big mistake: he just compared with the stunt board and not with the hero board too. There are big differences between these two boards. Example: the yellow spacing between "HOVER" and "BOARD" is correct at Mattel's prototype, if you compare it with the hero board. And the yellow corner IS higher at the hero board than at the stunt board.
That's right, he compared it only with the stunt board, but mentioned that they got it right for their previous prototype.

At this point it's a given, there is no way Mattel is going to spend the extra time and effort to do the honeycomb lenticular patten. For mass production they are going with graphics only and no velcro. So the stunt board will be their real hoverboard reference.

I hope they prove me wrong when it arrives in December. If not, I am canceling my order. To verify the credit card, they debited the amount when the original order was placed and then it was reverted back to the account after a week. Cancelling won't be a problem as there is no refund process involved.

And Roland, your work is fantastic :thumbsup.

That accurate design and the countless suggestions given by members here and elsewhere is practically spoon feeding Mattel for their research work, which they should have done months ago.

It's disheartening to see that a movie prop which had captivated the imagination of people (including kids) since the late 80s is getting such terrible treatment during product development.

There's a guy on ebay selling that sells hoverboards and the handle bars. Both of them together would be $281 icluding shipping, but it's WAY better than What Mattel is doing.

I can accept many of the inaccuracies with a mass produced replica like this, but the big one that makes me regret having ordered one is the lack of the real lenticular pattern.

BTW, its "caliper" not "caliber" ;)

They noted they were going to add a real lenticular at one point, I hope they do come through on that.
Given the points above, it is hard to imagine them not correcting and getting this right. It would be by pure laziness if they do not make such corrections.

More over, if they do mess up on a good track record, then there WILL be a fallout on future ordering of other prop items. I do know that if they do screw this one up, I won't make a quick leap on the GB goggles, which in the prototype stage have a few glaring problems as well. If they also screw this one up, NO ONE will want to ever advance order with them again and I am sure right now if they tried to do so with the goggles, they order numbers would be very low as the time to get the corrections done on the HB is tight. Since the marketing cannot figure out the production volumes, that was the best alternative to getting a good estimate of interest.

Worse, Matty communications right now is tighter than a clam as they have had numerous post in the Matty Q&A section of their own forums and not a single word since the showing. The silence is just as damaging after a great start initially.

Matty, if you are reading this, do it right. That starts with communicating to the fans your direction on this, followed by taking the time to do it right if needed. That will be much more warmly appreciated than the silence now followed by a poor replica in the future. You started it right, keep that momentum going forward.

oh thats bttf123 i have his board that he did a few years back, still think he did the best boards to date, shame he will not ship worldwide anymore.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back