MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Re: Mattel Hoverboard

That banner is misleading, the photo of the board with back and front is taken from the Profiles in History listing photo. Bad marketing by Mattel.

Let's hope they improve on the prototype. Even if it's just going to be a photo (stunt) hoverboard they need to change it for more accuracy.

EDIT:

Here is the comparison shot, Mattel used the photo from the August 2008 Profiles in History auction. PIH provided a very hi-res shot of the board for that listing back then.

Mattel_Banner_PIH_Photo.png

Last edited:

Don't get mad guys, it's like if Nike released some MAGS but they didn't Power Lace! :rolleyes , oh! darn forget it.

At least it would be from Mattel.

I'll save the money and stick with my replica board. This one will be an overpriced piece that doesn't compare to the replicas.

That photo looks like pics of the stunt board from the movie. I am doubtful that is a pic of the board that Mattel has made.

/\ Aha! I knew I was right...

That banner is misleading, the photo of the board with back and front is taken from the Profiles in History listing photo. Bad marketing by Mattel.

Let's hope they improve on the prototype. Even if it's just going to be a photo (stunt) hoverboard they need to change it for more accuracy.

EDIT:

Here is the comparison shot, Mattel used the photo from the August 2008 Profiles in History auction. PIH provided a very hi-res shot of the board for that listing back then.

Mattel_Banner_PIH_Photo.png

Mattel, this is embarrassing. The main hoverboard photo in Mattel's banner is taken from Original Prop Blog's Comic Con photo from July 2008.

Comic-Con 2008: Profiles in History : The Original Prop Blog – Jason DeBord's TV and Movie Prop Memorabilia Resource

Mattel_Banner_Hoverboard_OPB.png

There's a guy selling these and the other 3 boards on eBay all the time...it goes for $130. I can't attest to the screen accuracy but they look good.

You are referring to the eBay seller "indy_pickers". I would stay away from this guy. Most of the images in his listings are not his own. He used photos from Mike/hoverboard.org.uk and other sellers without their permission, to hide the major accuracy/quality issues with his own boards. He also has been known to bribe buyers for positive feedback before their item is even shipped, so they can't leave a negative when they see the actual boards.

Not bad for a toy, I'd get one if the price is right. As for accuracy did we really expect it to be perfect? I mean what company has done a mass produced replica as perfect and accurate as the original? There are always some sort of inaccuracies for licensed mass produced goods especially from a toy company. The overall look is there though.

sticker looks like its lifting in that pic

its a crying shame these companys could make great collectables but seen happy to pass off stuff theyve just thrown together with a few pics from google

Hey, at least they are seeing the potential of the BTTF stuff again. It's coming back in big style, I can't wait for the power laced Mags in 2015.

... I mean what company has done a mass produced replica as perfect and accurate as the original? ...

This will not be a mass product. I don't believe, that you can produce a hoverboard as a toy and thousands of kids would buy it. It's not a light saber or a phaser, which they can play with. It's a product for display, which only adult prop collectors would buy. And why should they buy a cheap looking replica for much money, if they can buy a more accurate board for probably less money ("hoverboard.org.uk")?

Last edited:

I'm sure that after this sells out, the eBay scalping is going to be just as ridiculous as the other "props" that matty has put out.

I am also leery since they don't post photos of the bottom yet. That could really make it look cheap.

I am with all you guys. Usually, I withhold judgment until I see the actual item, but to throw a sticker on a plastic board and call it a prototype really doesn't inspire much confidence.

With that said, I am sure, like many of you, I will still buy it because that is what we do. :lol

I just don't understand why they can't also produce the handlebar? The product is innacurate without it. :confused

im still curious to see how this thing glides, im betting that they could possibly use those "easy to move furniture" pads that let heavy object "glide" on hard surfaces.

the only other concern, if this is supposed to be played with, it would have to strong as hell to hold up an adult lol.

Doesn't the prototype images just look like computer generated renderings? They don't look like actual photographs to me.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back