MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Got mine today. Add me to the list of people that were underwhelmed by Mattel's efforts. I'm not a screen accurate nazi, but dang, I'm disappointed.

Any ideas surface yet about applying accurate lenticular stickers to this "prop replica?"

I don't know if anyone notice this but on the white shipping box it said that the mini hover board included. I would say evryone who buys one gets the mini board.
Mark

And they mention Bob Gale as being a consultant without any mention that he retracted his endorsement. :thumbsdown

There is legal ground here. False advertising. Mattel continues to market this as a "prop replica" when it is clearly not. There is plenty of evidence to make the case from the web videos alone where Scott repeatedly makes the promise of accuracy and the lenticular design when the final product was changed without notice to the consumer.

8270493884_bfe2b92ab8_b.jpg

He never actually retracted anything. He merely apologized to the fans who felt cheated with something he was excited for people to have.

That being said, even if he did retract any endorsement. He was still a consultant.
They're merely crediting him for the meeting that took place.

On a slightly related subject; While I hold no negative press against Bob Gale at all.
You do all realize that his statements were less about the overall accuracy of the board,
and more about the fact that he felt bad that people didn't like it, right?

It's like when your Father or Grandfather buys you something thinking you're going to love it,
then it turns out you don't get as excited as he expected.
As a result he feels incredibly guilty that he let you down and feels the need to apologize.

For example, have you not noticed that though there is a list as long as your arm of inaccuracies, the only thing he really mentions is the lack of lenticular?

It's the same with every single review site that has had something to say about the board in a negative light.

The truth is, none of these people really comprehend the level of inaccuracy that the board currently holds. All these review/video/forum sites are doing is noticing the controversial lenticular discussions that were posted on the Matty forum.

In short, Bob Gale is still a wonderful man, but I do think assuming so much regarding his "retraction" is a bit much.

It's funny, because most people that are NOT from the RPF that also dislike the board,
only dislike it because of the forum hype revolving around the lack of lenticular.
I've not seen a single thing on a review site that mentions anything else.

It was not the product that was promised, hyped and marketed by Scott Neitlich and Mattel.

When I was a little kid, I made a "camera" out of a cigar box with a toilet paper tube for a lens. I filled the box with peices of notepad paper with hand drawn stick figures. I cut a coin slit in the top of the box. I then went around the neighborhood asking anyone if they wanted their picture taken for .10 cents. One kid excitedly dropped a coin in the box and I "pretended" to take his picture and then handed him a piece of paper with a stick figure drawn on it and said "there you go." The kid felt so cheated and deceived he demanded his .10 cents back.

That is precisely what Mattel has done here. They promised this to be the most accurate "prop replica" of the Hoverboard down to every precise detail in their promotional advertisements and web videos, from Scott Neitlich's lips himself, to drum up excitement and consumer support, then quietly delivered a product that clearly did not meet those expectations or the quality leaving the consumers to feel deceived, defrauded, and lied to.

When I was a little kid, I made a "camera" out of a cigar box with a toilet paper tube for a lens. I filled the box with peices of notepad paper with hand drawn stick figures. I cut a coin slit in the top of the box. I then went around the neighborhood asking anyone if they wanted their picture taken for .10 cents. One kid excitedly dropped a coin in the box and I "pretended" to take his picture and then handed him a piece of paper with a stick figure drawn on it and said "there you go." The kid felt so cheated and deceived he demanded his .10 cents back.

:lol:lol:lolThis was an awesome story!

It was not the product that was promised, hyped and marketed by Scott Neitlich and Mattel.

That is the best thing I've read all day.

Real photos are too expensive for such a limited run of pictures, if we wanted to keep the cost under .10 cents we needed to make some hard choices

That is precisely what Mattel has done here. They promised this to be the most accurate "prop replica" of the Hoverboard down to every precise detail in their promotional advertisements and web videos, from Scott Neitlich's lips himself, to drum up excitement and consumer support, then quietly delivered a product that clearly did not meet those expectations or the quality leaving the consumers to feel deceived, defrauded, and lied to.

shouldve said "look kid its just sooo not final"

You could have also said "Look, I took ideas from 30 different pictures to make you this one..."

Then when he gave you the ten cents you could be like "Oh, I'm sorry, you just cancelled your order...You're gonna have to request a new photo."

cant someone edit that flyer for a laugh....its kinda similar if you shut one eye , approved by stevie wonder , there was over 30 boards this doesnt match any of them lol

Lucked out at HobbyLobby and found pink fur, and hotpink/lime velcro. Been thinking it over, but how difficult do you guys think it'd be to lift up the "Movie accurate" stickers and put down a print of Roland's stunt board decal?

"Scott Neiltich has answered the questions that people wanted answered.

The question was...

"If they could make a board 23 years ago with a lenticular surface, how come Mattel couldn't do one in 2012?"

His Answer.

"Because the boards made "23 years ago" were expensive hand made props. The 2012 mass produced manufactured toy needed to come in at 120.

Adding a lenticular would have skyrocketed the price. Lenticulars are large extremely expensive. We did look into it and could not find a way to make it work and still deliver an affordable toy.

Making this comparison is honestly not fair. You are comparing a hand made film prop with a high budget to a mass produced toy for 120/130. It is not apples to apples at all.
"

I'm pretty sure my $5 Trapper Keeper from 1988 had a lenticular cover. Just saying.

Note: I have no dog in this fight. Glad I forgot to pre-order all those months ago. I feel bad for all those that didn't forget.

*****mass return day set for next wednesday, 12/19/12. Spread the word!!!!!*****

Stuff like this is too far.

There's nothing wrong with returning a board to show you're not happy with the product. But a mass return day is getting dramatic.

If you want Mattel or anyone to take the complaints seriously, doing something like that isn't going to help, nor is it going to make a blind bit of difference.

Especially considering the boards being returned are being returned from people all over the world. So none of them will even arrive at the same time.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back