MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

I wonder after bobs remarks if Mattel feels they owe it to the fans to make a version 2 ACCURATE board?

I feel like they MUST do this, especially with all the bad press they're getting from this debacle. They should keep the prop community frequently updated with their progress (with photos), and send new boards to all the people who purchased the originals from them for free.

Of course, this will never happen. :facepalm

Excellent re-start, dmorgan924! ;)

Coincidentally, after read the Bob Gale's statement about Hover Board failure, I decided to come back with you, guys, and summon to do a petition of a recall, because, let's just remember: The Mattel company lied to us and we have lots of proof of this: Videos, pictures, facebook pages, another websites, reviews, forums!

I suggest for you to print this material and download those videos to keep with you, because all this are evidences of the false advertising that Mattel has promoted.

Let's go together, now with the reinforcement of Bob Gale, to sign this and create other petitions to guarantee that the Hover Board that we're looking for will be available to us as was promised before. Let us assert our rights!

We can make the change! Let's not just only stay here at RPF wailing for the bad product and stay trying to find a way to fix something that THEY DID WRONG! It's not our obligation to find another ways to fix something that THEY DID WRONG! Put this on your mind, people: THEY LIED!

THEY PROMISED SOMETHING TO ME, TO AJ LOCASCIO, TO BOB GALE, TO MICHAEL LANTIERI, TO THE "BEYOND THE MARQUEE" GUYS... THEY PROMISED SOMETHING TO YOU AND TO ALL BACK TO THE FUTURE FANS, BUT THEY HAVE NOT FULFILLED!

SO, WHO WANTS TO TRY TO MAKE THE DIFFERENCE?!

HOVERBOARD RECALL, NOW!!! :angry:thumbsup

Last edited:
Can someone point him to theRPF here and give him a summary?

Now, if only he was a member here so we could convince him to take pictures of his Matty board next to one of his film boards. :lol

...a guy can dream, can't he?

Maybe he will take some comparison shots.

Heavy Future: Bob Gale offers comparison photos of Mattel Hoverboard and his screen used Hoverboards

I like most BTTF fans was very pleased to see that Bob Gale addressed those quality issues directly and though he didn't have to, he offered an apology to fans who had pre-ordered the hoverboard based on his endorsement of the product from few months ago. There are few creators especially in the movie industry who even after so many years will go to such lengths to remain thoughtful about their fans. We're really grateful to have Bob Gale on our side.

After reading his letter I directed him to this Mattel Hoverboard thread to show how fans are appreciating his response in the letter. He was glad to see that his comments were taken positively by fans and he mentioned that he never takes his fans for granted. I also mentioned how many fans including RPF members offered to help Mattel with all the necessary accurate details (including member Roland who has been offering his accurate hoverboard designs free of cost), none of which were considered by Mattel.

Few members here were hoping Bob Gale would provide comparison shots between the Mattel Hoverboard and his screen used Hoverboards. He noticed those requests and has now provided the comparison photos along with the following description.

About these photos, and the hoverboards

"The accompanying photos show my two boards flanking the Mattel replica.

As far as I'm concerned, the basic design and colors of Mattel's board are just fine.

Bear in mind the following: for the movie we had several different versions of the hero board, based on how it was to be used or seen in the film. Every version was a little different, both in color and material. Neither of my boards have the real lenticular finish that's seen in some of the movie shots.

One of mine (at left in the 3-shot) is the actual one used in the burning of the almanac scene. It's made of foam and has a wire stand on the bottom so that it could be filmed from above and appear to be hovering. That's why the middle part on the bottom is bigger than the one that Marty takes from the little girl: to accommodate the stand. It was never meant to be seen in any other way. The round rear pad with the velcro strap was lost.

My other board is made of solid wood. It's a stunt board, and was used by the 2nd unit. I have no way of knowing if it was hung from wires or sat on a piece of pipe. This board has no “magnets” on the bottom or any detail; it too was only to be seen from the top, and only in very wide angle shots.

In the images, you can see how different the green color on the top is between the boards. Remember too that my boards are over 23 years old, and no doubt, the color has changed a bit over the years. Furthermore, in the movie, the colors would look different under different lighting conditions, and was again altered by the normal color correction we did in the film. This is why no one should be troubled by Mattel's colors.

I hope that satisfies your curiosity!"

The one thing that gets me is this:

"Movie accurate"

d56634ae91e2c2f2_large.jpg

It looks like false advertisement to me.

Heavy Future: Bob Gale offers comparison photos of Mattel Hoverboard and his screen used Hoverboards

I like most BTTF fans was very pleased to see that Bob Gale addressed those quality issues directly and though he didn't have to, he offered an apology to fans who had pre-ordered the hoverboard based on his endorsement of the product from few months ago. There are few creators especially in the movie industry who even after so many years will go to such lengths to remain thoughtful about their fans. We're really grateful to have Bob Gale on our side.

After reading his letter I directed him to this Mattel Hoverboard thread to show how fans are appreciating his response in the letter. He was glad to see that his comments were taken positively by fans and he mentioned that he never takes his fans for granted. I also mentioned how many fans including RPF members offered to help Mattel with all the necessary accurate details (including member Roland who has been offering his accurate hoverboard designs free of cost), none of which were considered by Mattel.

Few members here were hoping Bob Gale would provide comparison shots between the Mattel Hoverboard and his screen used Hoverboards. He noticed those requests and has now provided the comparison photos along with the following description.

About these photos, and the hoverboards

"The accompanying photos show my two boards flanking the Mattel replica.

As far as I'm concerned, the basic design and colors of Mattel's board are just fine.

Bear in mind the following: for the movie we had several different versions of the hero board, based on how it was to be used or seen in the film. Every version was a little different, both in color and material. Neither of my boards have the real lenticular finish that's seen in some of the movie shots.

One of mine (at left in the 3-shot) is the actual one used in the burning of the almanac scene. It's made of foam and has a wire stand on the bottom so that it could be filmed from above and appear to be hovering. That's why the middle part on the bottom is bigger than the one that Marty takes from the little girl: to accommodate the stand. It was never meant to be seen in any other way. The round rear pad with the velcro strap was lost.

My other board is made of solid wood. It's a stunt board, and was used by the 2nd unit. I have no way of knowing if it was hung from wires or sat on a piece of pipe. This board has no “magnets” on the bottom or any detail; it too was only to be seen from the top, and only in very wide angle shots.

In the images, you can see how different the green color on the top is between the boards. Remember too that my boards are over 23 years old, and no doubt, the color has changed a bit over the years. Furthermore, in the movie, the colors would look different under different lighting conditions, and was again altered by the normal color correction we did in the film. This is why no one should be troubled by Mattel's colors.

I hope that satisfies your curiosity!"

I did create that petition quick, and I can edit it, so if anyone can think of something to add to it let me know. I put 5000 as the number needed, not sure if that's to high or to low. let me know

I did create that petition quick, and I can edit it, so if anyone can think of something to add to it let me know. I put 5000 as the number needed, not sure if that's to high or to low. let me know

Dave,

Would you like to add some kind of "recall style" petition, considering those thoughts that I have expressed above?

I'm not trying to appear to be an angry person, but be as fair as possible with me and all who were harmed by that, yes, false advertising.

Hope you consider and that others also can contribute to we reach what we're looking for.

It's official, Bob Gale is the coolest guy alive.

Bob, if you're reading this: thank you for being so upfront with us. We really appreciate your candor and the clear passion you have for these films after all these years. Many filmmakers tend to get weary of hearing about their most popular work, but it's so clear that you are just as big a fan as any of us. And that's a pretty cool thing to know.

We fans will move on as we always do. The replica makers who thought Mattel would kills their market, have newfound security. The casual fans now have a Hoverboard they can own. (from Matty) And all of us ravenous nerds have a newfound passion for making something as true to the films as possible.

I have a feeling a lot of good can come out of Matty's mishandling of this. Onward and upward...and thank you, Mr. Gale.

-Nick

Wow. This is top notch. I hope he knows how appreciative we are of his taking the time to do this.

I really appreciate it too. Having both of the Hoverboards - the screen used one and Mattel's replica - on the same photograph makes it much easier to find the correct color codes of the screen used board: I just need the exact color codes of Mattel's board.

It's official, Bob Gale is the coolest guy alive.

Bob, if you're reading this: thank you for being so upfront with us. We really appreciate your candor and the clear passion you have for these films after all these years. Many filmmakers tend to get weary of hearing about their most popular work, but it's so clear that you are just as big a fan as any of us. And that's a pretty cool thing to know.

We fans will move on as we always do. The replica makers who thought Mattel would kills their market, have newfound security. The casual fans now have a Hoverboard they can own. (from Matty) And all of us ravenous nerds have a newfound passion for making something as true to the films as possible.

I have a feeling a lot of good can come out of Matty's mishandling of this. Onward and upward...and thank you, Mr. Gale.

-Nick

I made mine your words, Nick!

Mr. Gale, you're the guy! And certainly, for all you have done for us, between all this years, since the co-creation, co-writing and co-production of Back to the Future, till now, with this so lovely feedback and respect to your loyalty fans, we just have to say that we all love you!

Thank you very much! And keep with us together that you can be assured that we will always be with you!

Thanks once again! :thumbsup

I've been thinking about the magnet pieces, the black paint on the originals I believe is actually primer. I have used a black primer before that has a slightly lighter hue than dead-black paint, and it had a tinge of blue in it... much like on Bob Gale's Hoverboard.

This is one of many shots that gives me that impression.

Bob_Gale_Hoverboards_Bottom.JPG

Also... in many shots of Part III the sheen seems pretty flat but slightly buffed. Like a black primer would do very easily by being wiped.

vlcsnap-2012-11-22-00h21m59s214.png

vlcsnap-2012-11-22-00h21m46s58.png

sZyLQ.png

I don't wish to derail, I just wanted to see if anybody agree's.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back