MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

One thing we do have to remember though is that Roland has offered up his graphics files for free, and has no obligation to offer new graphics. We should be very thankful for what he's offered already.

That said, his existing graphics may work after all, if we REMOVE the existing footpad, fill in the recess (make it level), and just add a new footpad to the board in the correct location. Same on the bottom, assuming the magnets can be removed.

New graphics that are perfectly cut out to go AROUND all of the existing components of the Mattel board would be time-consuming to create, and I wouldn't expect Roland to do this for free.

So for those of us willing to strip our boards, I'm wondering if Roland's graphics for either the lenticular or photo board are similar enough in length/width so as to be able to apply them to the stripped/filled Mattel board?

Oh no, I completely understand this. I mean it was never an expected obligation. It was more I disagreed with his reason for not doing so.

He's perfectly allowed to reserve right to not do so of course.

It just seemed a shame that his reasoning to decline was due to resale value, which is an issue that lies entirely with the owner of the board themselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if this was Mattel's concept art for the board:

13zr8mh.png

And hey look! It's Mattel's exclusive 2015 V2 model!*
Preorder now and get a free pen when it ships!

*Final product may differ from from below:

zt7jf5.png

*Remember... This is so far from final guys. So, so, so NOT final!

:lol

:lol:lol:lol:lol(y)thumbsup

Oh no, I completely understand this. I mean it was never an expected obligation. It was more I disagreed with his reason for not doing so.

He's perfectly allowed to reserve right to not do so of course.

It just seemed a shame that his reasoning to decline was due to resale value, which is an issue that lies entirely with the owner of the board themselves.

I never declined to modify my graphics. I just gave you a reason why you shouldn't (not haven't to) do modifications to the original board. You have every right to do with your board what ever you want. :)

The main problem is: I don't have any dimensions of the original decals and the exact size and position of the footpad, the magnets etc. and I really don't want to buy this Hoverboard just to take the measures myself. If anyone can take the exact measures and provide hi-res photos (made directly from above/below and without distortions) of the board, I could modify my stunt board decals. (Those who want to turn it into a hero board, can still use parts of my existing hero board decals and real lenticular.)

If there's enough interest I could even provide printed full-size decals for sale (besides my free download).

I never declined to modify my graphics. I just gave you a reason why you shouldn't (not haven't to) do modifications to the original board. You have every right to do with your board what ever you want. :)

The main problem is: I don't have any dimensions of the original decals and the exact size and position of the footpad, the magnets etc. and I really don't want to buy this Hoverboard just to take the measures myself. If anyone can take the exact measures and provide hi-res photos (made directly from above/below and without distortions) of the board, I could modify my stunt board decals. (Those who want to turn it into a hero board, can still use parts of my existing hero board decals and real lenticular.)

If there's enough interest I could even provide printed full-size decals for sale (besides my free download).

Sounds like a plan!

I apologize if I seemed somewhat negative.
I'm a proud owner of your PDF files myself.

The only reason I said what I said was because if I was going to put anyones graphics on my board. It'd be yours. I'd hate to compromise and use something that is just "good enough" if you catch my meaning.

Thanks as always for being an incredible help. :)

I don't have my board as of yet, so I can't take any measurements or anything like that.
But I'm sure there are others who could?

mwhelan25 perhaps? Assuming he's not a one time poster that is.

If nobody does, I'll try and take some images/measurements whenever it arrives.

mwhelan25 perhaps? Assuming he's not a one time poster that is.
Oh, I'm not going anywhere... don't worry. :) I've been paying attention to the discussion since the beginning, I just didn't have a lot to offer other than what was already being said.

Here are some very high res images of the top and bottom of the board. The lighting is a little uneven, but it should be more than sufficient for getting dimensions for creating a vector-based layout. If you need an absolutely perfect studio shot, I can set one up later.

http://tinyurl.com/cl8ph37
http://tinyurl.com/boxvvbh

Mine just came in this morning, the mini-hoverboard was included and was inside along with the stand and instruction manual.

Mine slightly rattles as if there's a small screw loose inside there. Anybody else have the same rattle noise?

Mine slightly rattles as if there's a small screw loose inside there. Anybody else have the same rattle noise?
As I mentioned in my review, mine rattles too. And like nighteyes says, yes I believe it has to do with the directional sensor (that none of us asked for in the first place).

As I mentioned in my review, mine rattles too. And like nighteyes says, yes I believe it has to do with the directional sensor (that none of us asked for in the first place).

Oh, well if you didn't ask for it, it should have never been included. :rolleyes :facepalm

Oh, well if you didn't ask for it, it should have never been included. :rolleyes :facepalm
Well I assume the cost of the electronics, sound elements, and motion detection came at the expense of other features, that's all I meant. If the board was otherwise perfect and they added cheap whooshing sounds on top of it, that would be a different situation. :)

... Here are some very high res images of the top and bottom of the board. The lighting is a little uneven, but it should be more than sufficient for getting dimensions for creating a vector-based layout. If you need an absolutely perfect studio shot, I can set one up later.

http://tinyurl.com/cl8ph37
http://tinyurl.com/boxvvbh

Those pics are great. Thanks. :)

All I need now is just the exact size of the decal (length and width in millimeter). If the decals on top and bottom have different sizes, I need both of course. And by how many degrees is the kicktail bent? All the other measures and spacings I can calculate myself.

Can anyone make a picture of the bottom decal(s) after removing the magnets and the battery?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back