MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

So...for those who want this board just for cosplaying, do you think buying this isn't a good idea?

You'll be fine with it. Remember where you are. This is a place that strives for perfection (which is a good thing) and anything less sometimes comes off as lazy. 99% of the general public that sees the hoverboard will say "Sweet! a hoverboard! That is awesome!"

99% of the general public that sees the hoverboard will say "Sweet! a hoverboard! That is awesome!"

Yep. And from what i've heard, the actual plastic build is fairly durable, so aside from the stickers it should hold up to the wear-and-tear of cons pretty well.

So as long as you like the way it looks, you should be golden.

As far as cosplay, I think it will be a good board to have. If it had been marketed as a toy and my expectations were not that high, along with a lower price to match the lower quality, I would be happy with it despite MOST of the issues. The poor quality stickers are a serious issue period.

The fact is was hyped, marketed and priced as something it is not is extremely disappointing. As long as you are purchasing this with the expectations of what it is and value it for that... go for it.

... As to Roland's graphics, I don't think they would look right on top without a serious rework. I believe someone has already pointed out that the footpad is too far forward on the Mattel board which causes the "HOVERBOARD" logo section and everything else forward of the footpad to be "squished." Roland would have to adjust his graphic to match this compression forward of the footpad, and we definitely can't expect him to do that just because we'd like him to...:D

Normally, I would do it. But I don't think you should do any modifications to this board. Why? Because it would still look inaccurate and you could never sell it again as an official licensed product. This board is crap, but any modifications would turn it into unsaleable crap.

Normally, I would do it. But I don't think you should do any modifications to this board. Why? Because it would still look inaccurate and you could never sell it again as an official licensed product. This board is crap, but any modifications would turn it into unsaleable crap.

you can roll a turd in glitter , but its still a turd huh

If anything, I'll use some spray adhesive on the sticker, while trying to smooth out the air bubbles. Scotch tape is inexcusable.

BTW Roland, your avatar of the new logo reminds me of the Burger King logo :p

True but those that are willing to modify it, aren't the people that will want to resell it.

If someone wanted to resell it, they'd just get rid of it the moment it arrives like many others. They'll easily make their money back, especially with the mini hoverboard.

The people who want to modify however, are those that want to keep it despite it's flaws, but want to turn it into a fun project.

There were people in this thread that were genuinely excited about the prospects of being able to tweak things on it. I know that I'm genuinely excited about going and looking for some decent pink fur for the strap, and I have absolutely no intention of selling the board.

In short, while many were disappointed, it's still a nice thing to own alongside our more accurate hoverboard projects, and something that could be fun to tweak.

I think it would be nice to offer modified graphics since you're the main go-to-guy and some don't have access to the tools to do so themselves, though that's totally your call :)

Edit: I should also add that; as we all know, the general public are happy with Mattels inaccurate board. Thus I'm pretty sure if someone tweaked the board to be more accurate, with the credit of it being built off of Mattel's base, people would quite happily purchase it as a hoverboard replica, with it selling no differently than home-made ones.

I just went to my sneaker store around the corner, who are currently running an exhibition called Kicks On Film displaying various BTTF props (Real Mags, Hoverboard Lego scenery ... SNEAKERMUSEUM THE GOOD WILL OUT | SNEAKER SHOP KÖLN) and what happened as I paid for the shoes I just bought? A UPS guy came in delivering a huge package which said Mattel Hoverboard.
Turned out that some guys from that store are huge BTTF fans, however, my heart started bleeding as I have to wait 4-6 more weeks for my board...:sick

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if this was Mattel's concept art for the board:

13zr8mh.png

And hey look! It's Mattel's exclusive 2015 V2 model!*
Preorder now and get a free pen when it ships!

*Final product may differ from below:

zt7jf5.png

*Remember... This is so far from final guys. So, so, so NOT final!

:lol

Last edited:

Modding the board would instantly devalue it as a collectable, so it's true that replacing the graphic would make it unsaleable as a stock Mattel hoverboard for any that wanted a stock board.

BUT, if you modify it well, then it would still be saleable and/or desirable to any who want to buy or have a plastic-bodied hoverboard replica. Any replica made with this Mattel toy board as a base will be unique and somewhat desirable just because it's made out of hollow plastic, and represents what most think the toy would feel like in real life. ESPECIALLY if those *$%@ magnets can be removed and replaced with more accurate versions.

Now if we could get a hollow plastic board machined up for less than this board, then most who want a plastic-bodied board would probably go that route, but only a couple folks have gotten boards machined. And these machined boards were solid plastic and so heavy as crap—too heavy for a little girl to realistically be able to carry around.

So right now, this board is the only hollow plastic-bodied board. That's how I'm looking at this board. I'm not looking at it as a replica. As a replica in its stock form, it sucks because of all of the inaccuracies. I'm not looking at it as a toy. It doesn't actually hover, having to actually rest on a surface and sliding on furniture-pad like magnets, so as a toy it also sucks. But as a moddable plastic-bodied bare pink base board for $120, with a little sound thrown in, it will do.

Last edited:
True but those that are willing to modify it, aren't the people that will want to resell it. ...

You can never know where you field of interest lies in a few years. Today you don't want to sell it, but maybe you will lose your interest in the hobby some day. And then you find out that the Mattel board had significantly gained in value, but only if it's in its original condition. You would really be annoyed if you did any modifications. :)

You can never know where you field of interest lies in a few years. Today you don't want to sell it, but maybe you will lose your interest in the hobby some day. And then you find out that the Mattel board had significantly gained in value, but only if it's in its original condition. You would really be annoyed if you did any modifications. :)

Given that I know myself rather personally I can say this isn't true.

I horde the things I like. I never resell anything, because it was mine. I've been interested in this subject matter since I was young so I doubt that would change either.

I know what you're trying to say but it's better to give people the option so they can make their own mind up.

I know I wont be reselling mine. Though it's not exactly what I expected; my inner child is incredibly excited to get this and play with it.

If I then feel like making parts of it more accurate, it's much nicer to have the resources available to me, than not have them just because some people don't want me to change it.

... And these machined boards were solid plastic and so heavy as crap—too heavy for a little girl to realistically be able to carry around. ...

Don't forget: In the movie the Hoverboard is not a hovering skateboard, it's a hovering kick scooter. A little girl doesn't need to carry it. ;)

Just had my board delivered, but then turned away by the wife as I bloody owe import tax to ups £39 or around $60 what a bummer now I have to collect from the local depot..:facepalm can't blame Mattel for that one..

hey, somebody know what is the scale of this bigger Delorean?
http://www.sneakermuseum.de/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/kicks-on-film-39.jpg

1:18?

Is this a Sun Star?

I just went to my sneaker store around the corner, who are currently running an exhibition called Kicks On Film displaying various BTTF props (Real Mags, Hoverboard Lego scenery ... SNEAKERMUSEUM THE GOOD WILL OUT | SNEAKER SHOP KÖLN) and what happened as I paid for the shoes I just bought? A UPS guy came in delivering a huge package which said Mattel Hoverboard.
Turned out that some guys from that store are huge BTTF fans, however, my heart started bleeding as I have to wait 4-6 more weeks for my board...:sick

Just had my board delivered, but then turned away by the wife as I bloody owe import tax to ups £39 or around $60 what a bummer now I have to collect from the local depot..:facepalm can't blame Mattel for that one..

Out of curiousity, did you pay extra for speedy shipping, or did you use the default/cheapest shipping?

I know what you're trying to say but it's better to give people the option so they can make their own mind up.

One thing we do have to remember though is that Roland has offered up his graphics files for free, and has no obligation to offer new graphics. We should be very thankful for what he's offered already.

That said, his existing graphics may work after all, if we REMOVE the existing footpad, fill in the recess (make it level), and just add a new footpad to the board in the correct location. Same on the bottom, assuming the magnets can be removed.

New graphics that are perfectly cut out to go AROUND all of the existing components of the Mattel board would be time-consuming to create, and I wouldn't expect Roland to do this for free.

So for those of us willing to strip our boards, I'm wondering if Roland's graphics for either the lenticular or photo board are similar enough in length/width so as to be able to apply them to the stripped/filled Mattel board?

Don't forget: In the movie the Hoverboard is not a hovering skateboard, it's a hovering kick scooter. A little girl doesn't need to carry it. ;)

Good point. But I would add that in the BTTF II movie, and so in the BTTF II universe, Marty is seen holding a board with just his outstretched hand, and the girl is later seen carrying a Pitbull, so they weren't supposed to weigh a ton either...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back