MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

If there is an interest in upgraded magnets, another member here is talking me into resurrecting my "Icons" magnet molds to do another run.
I honestly haven't paid much attention to the Matty board production since I am perfectly happy with my bttf123 boards so I am unclear on how innacurate the Matty board magnet assembly is.

If there is an interest in upgraded magnets, another member here is talking me into resurrecting my "Icons" magnet molds to do another run.

I honestly haven't paid much attention to the Matty board production since I am perfectly happy with my bttf123 boards so I am unclear on how innacurate the Matty board magnet assembly is.

They are very very inaccurate, but some have said that it appears that the magnet assembly on these boards is not removable, being molded into the back side. It will be interesting to see if that is the case.

It looks like they increased the size of the magnets so that they reached all the way to the edges of the board, probably to cover the break between the background stickers above/below the magnets (the background sticker is in several pieces on the front and back of the Mattel boards).

Or maybe just not buy this turd and make your own?

That's what I'm doing.

Ideas for upgrading the Matty Collector Hoverboard

Turn this:

9mY7N.png

Into this:

NfGEQ.png

1. Print Roland's logo to fit board.

2. Scan the bubble material on board.

3. Print and apply bubble material over Matty's hoverboard logo (vinyl decal would look good).

3. Apply Roland's logo.

4. Apply matching color yellow stripes at the end of the board.

4. Apply 1 inch green velcro to board and footpad.

5. Replace pink velcro with fur footstrap.

Done!

Hello all,

Huge BTTF fan here - longtime reader of the forums but first-time poster. I've been following this thread since it started; like so many of you I was elated of the announcement of a Mattel-sponsored hoverboard project and have kept a close eye on all of the developments during the last year. Since it appears I am one of the first to have received my boards, I thought I would offer some photos and a few thoughts on this product.

First off let me start by saying that I own several versions of fan-made boards - in addition to some of my own, I have both wood and foam versions of the BTTF123* boards and I am just as interested in the accuracy and details as I know many of you are. With that in mind, we already all know the basics here - there is no 'lenticular' material, the foot pad is sunken into the board, the dimensions of the logo are off, and the magnetic plates are terribly bad in scale. None of these things should come as a shock to anyone who has been paying attention to this thread the last several months.

In some ways, I felt pretty prepared for what I would be receiving; although it is not "screen accurate" by any stretch of the imagination, I have found myself coming around slightly to this board in the last few weeks as I believe if Mattel were to have ever legitly released one of these things to the mass public (as in, if hoverboards did exist and Mattel was manufacturing them), this is likely pretty darn close to what we'd get. They would definitely use one sticker to grace the top of the board (as different pieces of velcro and stickers on top of lenticular would just start to peel off and warp in time), and the recessed channels for the pink velcro are actually pretty smart. I might be burned at the stake for that opinion, but looking at the film boards now (and especially with all the variations between 'hero' boards and 'stunt' boards) they start to look downright homemade by comparison… almost like the high quality 'fan-made' boards that exist today. Of course, that's what they really were - and it's also a testament to the fantastic amount of work that has gone into the fan-made boards. But a true production Mattel board would never look like the one in the movie… so this is basically as close as I believe we would come to a properly released Hoverboard designed by Mattel. In that mindset, it's a pretty cool piece and I think it's nice to own one.

Don't start to get out the pitchforks yet though - my review is not all sunshine and roses. While I had come to terms with my purchase and was somewhat happy to own it as a collection piece next to my other boards, what really mattered was what it looked like in person once it arrived. I was actually able to open my box with next to zero damage (get out a really sharp, flat knife and just run it along the seam between the two glued pieces of cardboard and you should be OK), and carefully remove the board from the styrofoam inside. It should be noted that the box is one of the coolest parts of this piece - they really did a great job with it. The first thing you'll notice about the board is that it's fairly heavy and mine makes a good deal of rattling noises which appear to be coming from under the 'magnet plates'. I haven't tested out the sound effects because I have zero interest in that feature. It does NOT appear that the plates are molded to the pink plastic, so that will be extremely good news for many DYI'ers - HOWEVER there is a matching element to the red plastic surrounding those plates (where the screws are), meaning that the diameter of the plates is sort of "built-in" and it may still be somewhat difficult to alter. That's probably a little confusing; I may try my hand at unscrewing everything later tonight to give a better visual representation. The plates themselves are just huge and it's probably the thing I hate the most about this model.

The pink plastic that the board is made of itself is very solid and a nice material. In that one aspect, I like it better than any of the other boards I own. This is where it starts to go downhill, however. The sticker application on both sides of the boards is AWFUL (see pictures). There is bubbling everywhere, absolutely terrible creases running throughout, and even places where it is joined together by SCOTCH TAPE. In reality, the top sticker is actually two stickers - and they come together in the middle of the footpad where they are misaligned and literally taped together. I tried to take the best picture of this I could… get ready to be disappointed. There are other places where the adhesive is already giving way (the sticker is raising up from the board), and it's extremely glossy so it's easy to see where there are defects.

The bottom of the board seems to be better (I don't mind things like the small text on the purple battery compartment - again, this is how a 'real' hoverboard would accurately be if it were to be released), but obviously there are some color and scale issues with the graphics as well.

I think like many others here it is extremely disappointing to know what this board "could have been" given all of the resources they had at their disposal... and I have a feeling many of you will hate it even more than I do. Some elements of the design that others find unacceptable I actually have grown to really like about this board, and just the fact that it's the only studio-sanctioned, official Mattel release gives it inherent collectable value. But the shoddy craftsmanship combined with the complete lack of attention to key details make this a 6/10 at best for me. The box art is responsible for one of those points, which doesn't say a lot for the product itself.

If you guys have any other questions or would like to see more photos, let me know and I would be more than happy to share. Thanks.

I am soooo happy I cancelled my order. That on top of what I knew they screwed up would have been too much to take. There are too mant nice colectables out there compared to this to spend my tight budget on. Matty gets a double F grade from me for product and effort. With this project Mattel's mission statement/oath for quality products is trashed.

This is a static display piece for most people. I don't do cosplay. Mattel can spring for a reflective She-Ra sticker and that's only a 20.00 fig, Pay 130.00 and you get a cheap slapped on sticker. The decal element should have been spot on. Mattel Design has all the tools and they said screw it.

Well there's one thing this review tells us, and it's that there's no use trying to add any elements like green velcro or lenticular material on top of the background graphic stickers, since these stickers themselves are so poorly adhered to the board. If we want those things we will need to first strip the background sticker off the board.

As to Roland's graphics, I don't think they would look right on top without a serious rework. I believe someone has already pointed out that the footpad is too far forward on the Mattel board which causes the "HOVERBOARD" logo section and everything else forward of the footpad to be "squished." Roland would have to adjust his graphic to match this compression forward of the footpad, and we definitely can't expect him to do that just because we'd like him to...:D

Thanks for the awesome review, mwhelan! I still can't wait to get mine.

I got the "pre-order fix" email just now and got that all squared away.

Last edited:
Scotch tape?! Check to see if they wrote "FU" anywhere on the board as well. If you are going to use cost cutting measures instead of making it accurate, at least have some quality control on your cheapness!

So details aside is the board even the proper overall dimensions?

Wow I thought I was prepared but tape over stickers with wrinkles. Is any one part of it useful as reference? I know they didn't want to paint it but are any of the other colors on the bottom a match?

I got my shipping notice this morning. I admit I did not do my homework and ordered this "blindly." I'm on the fence on keeping it now. :facepalm That scotch tape thing is HORRIBLE!

Scotch tape? If that doesn't say "phoning it in", I don't know what does.

Even though we knew it wasn't going to be completely "accurate" to the original boards, I at least expected that being an officially licensed toy/prop from Mattel, that the build quality would represent that of a well made real toy, giving at least some sense of reality to the board, even if it wasn't accurate.

Whether people are only buying this for the collectible nature of it, or whether people are planning to mod it to make it more accurate, I hope everyone ends up happy with their boards though! :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back