MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Hello WickeDM6 ,
No it was not me , but a guy named Doc-Marty . He had a Buy it Now around $30. I think.

I did buy one set from him just to see what they looked like in person, but yet to receive them. He sent a note out that they were on BO and would ship in 10 days. Thanks!

Hello WickeDM6 ,
No it was not me , but a guy named Doc-Marty . He had a Buy it Now around $30. I think.

I did buy one set from him just to see what they looked like in person, but yet to receive them. He sent a note out that they were on BO and would ship in 10 days. Thanks!

Thanks for the info bttf123... Much appreciated

I guess it's like our previous discussion about the color of the lenticular... purple vs pink. My memory, and most pics I see of the hoverboard shows it being yellow, so that's what it "officially" is in my mind.

It's really not the same. With the lenticular material, we are discussing a SINGLE material that photographs differently in certain lights, sometimes appearing pink and sometimes appearing lavender. But it was still a single color.

With the yellow surfaces, there actually were TWO colors used: fluorescent yellow (which in certain photos can incorrectly appear greenish) vs. goldenrod yellow. If you are trying to replicate a lenticular board, it's not a matter of interpretation as to which yellow shade is correct. Every photo of a lenticular board shows a fluorescent yellow material. Likewise, every photo of a photoboard shows a duller non-fluorescent goldenrod yellow.

Carrying the logic further, there was not just a single color green stripe that sometimes looks light and sometimes looks dark, requiring interpretation as to its true color. Instead, we know that they actually used TWO colors for the green stripes: a light green 2D stripe and a dark green 2D stripe. In some cases (lenticular boards) the light green stripe was comprised of fluorescent green velcro. Which is correct depends on which version of the board you are replicating.

Last edited:
Autoprops713, I have a question for you.
Early on, when I did my huge error-fix image for Mattel that I also shared here, I had a theory about the size, footpad shape, beveled angles, and all related to size and shape of the board.

I know that making a toy mold (or modelling tool) is the most expensive part on a toy, and thousands of toys have to be made from that mold to make it profitable.

I had the theory that the mold has been the same since the look-a-like model from Mattel (before making measurements from the screen-used hoverboards).
Maybe they changed the mold a little for the recessed velcro area on the front, but overall, the look-a-like mold is the same that the final version mold, just to save a lot of money. (making a mold for just 1 unit -the look-a-like prototype- is stupidly expensive)

Do you know if I was right on my theory? Was the Bob Gale reunion just for the photo opportunity with him and nothing about that reunion was considered regarding size and shape?

Thanks a lot!

I had the theory that the mold has been the same since the look-a-like model from Mattel (before making measurements from the screen-used hoverboards)...Was the Bob Gale reunion just for the photo opportunity with him and nothing about that reunion was considered regarding size and shape?

I think you're absolutely right. MAYBE they were at least considering changing the graphics, but it seems the overall shape was already set in stone based on a few minutes of cruising the internet and whipping something up in a 3D modeling program.

I had the theory that the mold has been the same since the look-a-like model from Mattel (before making measurements from the screen-used hoverboards).

Maybe they changed the mold a little for the recessed velcro area on the front, but overall, the look-a-like mold is the same that the final version mold, just to save a lot of money. (making a mold for just 1 unit -the look-a-like prototype- is stupidly expensive)

The earlier look-a-like model had a beveled edge top and bottom. No doubt about it, it's clearly visible in some pics, and I even held that board in my own hands. Definitely a different mold from the production model, at least the top half.

It's really not the same. With the lenticular material, we are discussing a SINGLE material that photographs differently in certain lights, sometimes appearing pink and sometimes appearing lavender. But it was still a single color.

Of course. I was just saying that despite variations of what the real props have, what we "remember" on screen counts for something too sometimes in what we want to see in our replicas. In the case of the lenticular, you stated you remembered it being lavender rather than pink, even though it can look pink in some photos. And you preferred your replica to have lavender lenticular because of that memory. I remember the yellow being yellow, even though it can look greenish in some photos.

Hoverboard-Matty collector cs

So I just got my email notice that they are shipping my hoverboard however they are shipping it to my old address!
I moved over the summer. So I had enough forethought I emailed them and then changed all my info on their website months ago to avoid just this problem including my credit card which of course has my new address. And still it happens.
I called within 15 minutes of receiving the notice and got the biggest idiot I have ever spoke to, he said there was nothing they could do and yes they did have the correct updated address. And yes i did email them but the order didn't get updated. Ughh Now I have to wait for it to be shipped/returned/reproceesed & reshipped. They really do suck at customer service!

My card was due to expire and they instructed me to add a new one.

So I did a few weeks ago.

I just got a mail to say my order has been canceled :angry

Idiots! Can't get anything right. I have mailed back asking them to reinstate the order using the new card I added to the account. I bet they can't, typical!

Re: Hoverboard-Matty collector cs

That sucks..

I just received an email stating my preorder had been cancelled per my request. I never made that request! I have been waiting for a tracking number since March just like everyone else. I will call them in the morning and hope to get it straightened out.

My card was due to expire and they instructed me to add a new one.

So I did a few weeks ago.

I just got a mail to say my order has been canceled :angry

Idiots! Can't get anything right. I have mailed back asking them to reinstate the order using the new card I added to the account. I bet they can't, typical!

I just got the same email!! so frustrating!!

I just got the same email!! so frustrating!!

I just spoke to customer services and explained what had happened. There person said there is nothing they can do and that I would have to order again today from the site. I was not happy with that as I would not get the mini board and it has gone up in price a bit.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, 5 minutes later I had the same conversation and told her that I had added a new card to my account. She said the main issue was that I was e-mailed and asked for my new card details but did not respond. I then corrected her by saying I had responded with the new details, she then found the mail I was talking about and agreed. She is not going to speak to the processing department to see what can be done! I am now awaiting updates on e-mail.

I also made the point that customers were told that when the order was placed we were told we can't cancel, yet they have cancelled on me with no warning.

What a stupid system they have in place. They can't see if there is another card on the account and try that, or at least hold the order while contacting the customer?

Something tells me I will end up sending a mail to someone higher up!

I just spoke to customer services and explained what had happened. There person said there is nothing they can do and that I would have to order again today from the site. I was not happy with that as I would not get the mini board and it has gone up in price a bit.

I asked to speak to a supervisor, 5 minutes later I had the same conversation and told her that I had added a new card to my account. She said the main issue was that I was e-mailed and asked for my new card details but did not respond. I then corrected her by saying I had responded with the new details, she then found the mail I was talking about and agreed. She is not going to speak to the processing department to see what can be done! I am now awaiting updates on e-mail.

I also made the point that customers were told that when the order was placed we were told we can't cancel, yet they have cancelled on me with no warning.

What a stupid system they have in place. They can't see if there is another card on the account and try that, or at least hold the order while contacting the customer?

Something tells me I will end up sending a mail to someone higher up!

Similar thing just happened to me. I just got off the phone to them & now if I want it I have to place a new order for $130 & miss out on the mini-hb so I miss out on the pre-order that I made back in March. I told them exactly what I think of them lol & that it is totally unprofessional not to contact me prior to cancelling.

I guess I see it as a blessing in disguise though cause it means that I am not burdened to this UN-screen accurate replica. The board is such a joke! I told MC that their marketing is poor and it is not even accurate... not that they really care.... meh!?

Yup they suck big time. Sending mine to the wrong address. I changed all my info months ago, even have the reply email from them with my new info, but now I have to wait for a shipping parade or cancel and reorder. Seriously how ****** up can you get? From now on we should just say I'm getting Matty-ied!

i just got the same email cancelling my order! my card details are all correct and havnt added any new cards! so frustrating! if they say i have to re-order and pay more and not receive the mini HB then i dont think im gonna bother after reading this thread!

Ok I just got off the phone with Mattel and they said no problem reinstating my pre-order. I verified with them twice that I would still receive the mini-hoverboard and they said that I would. Let's hope for the best!

still haven't received any emails. Of course, the amount was taken from my card...:sleep

Moreover, seems like their website is having connection issues (can't access the forum or view my invoice)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back