MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

My bad, Pixel Dan doesn't mention the stand, but it is clearly shown on the Beyond the Marquee vid. So, there's a stand. But my comment about the collector mini-hoverboard is still standing. :/

Beyond the Marquee receives and review the Hover Board:

Matty Collector's Back to the Future Part 2, Hoverboard Prop Replica Review - YouTube

And a detailed link with pictures below:

Matty Collector’s Back to the Future Part 2, Hoverboard Prop Replica Review | BEYOND THE MARQUEE

And another review from JuliusMarxAFI.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuH2C7EjP3Y

How about that... :confused

The funny thing about these videos it's the farting noise when "unboxing the box" LOL

Overall, even the board not beeing "ACCURATE AT THE MINIMUM DETAIL", it looks nice and neat.

Thanks for posting these.

I really don't see this being a complete waste of money? If you look at it on a toy stand point and not a movie accurate replica it's really not bad at all :lol.I understand the frustration everyone is going through but were you really expecting this board to be 100% accurate??? NOTHING will ever be 100% accurate coming from a mass produced toy company.Yeah I got suckered into buying one thinking there was gonna be a different outcome but **** happens i guess and we have to deal what was given to us.Matty did offer refunds in the end which I thought was very cool of them to do.I'm sure the ghost traps and pke meters had tons of inaccurate flaws we don't know about to a die hard ghost busters fans.I'm not sticking up for these idiots but I just want to stress if anyone ordered one like myself I'm sure in the end if you want to sell it you will make your money back or maybe double or triple for that matter.I love the box art and was able to see Mattel's imagination on that concept.With all the flaws I really don't don't find anything that bad with it besides the foot pad recessed in the board.You guys have to remember they have to go buy safety standard guidelines when producing the board along with plenty of different model screen used hover boards.I've held the board for quite a while and it's NOT a piece of junk like you all are making it out to be.IT'S A TOY replica and we HAVE TO accept that.We have a right to complain but CMON it's getting a little out of hand now.If Mattel put this out 20 years ago and you still held on to it you probably would be sitting on a goldmine as we speak.Like I said it stinks it's not 100% accurate but for $130 I'm not gonna complain.If it was $249 or $200 for that matter than YES i would be upset to an extent.This is just my opinion :cool

I think the real disappointment first and foremost is that they built up hype, made promises and did not come through with them. Secondly, that they had all the resources to do it right along with support which they threw away, many times with a scowl to the people that cared internally and externally.

It is what it is, but many are disappointed at what it easily could have and should have been.

I think the real disappointment first and foremost is that they built up hype, made promises and did not come through with them. Secondly, that they had all the resources to do it right along with support which they threw away, many times with a scowl to the people that cared internally and externally.

It is what it is, but many are disappointed at what it easily could have and should have been.

Well said. That's it in a nutshell.

They do say that they got it from Matty for review so it may still not be the final production version. I kept my pre-order since, like said previously, it will still be a collector piece either way. So heres to hoping that it really does not suck.

They do say that they got it from Matty for review so it may still not be the final production version. I kept my pre-order since, like said previously, it will still be a collector piece either way. So heres to hoping that it really does not suck.

It's all company phrases and whatnot.

That will be the final board. Don't get your hopes up.

I cancelled my order on Friday. I waited until the very last minute for them to change my mind, and I wasn't happy with the final outcome. I already have a fan-made replica hero board that is much more accurate than Mattel's turned out to be, so I'll stick with that :thumbsup

I really don't see this being a complete waste of money? If you look at it on a toy stand point and not a movie accurate replica it's really not bad at all :lol.I understand the frustration everyone is going through but were you really expecting this board to be 100% accurate??? NOTHING will ever be 100% accurate coming from a mass produced toy company.Yeah I got suckered into buying one thinking there was gonna be a different outcome but **** happens i guess and we have to deal what was given to us.Matty did offer refunds in the end which I thought was very cool of them to do.I'm sure the ghost traps and pke meters had tons of inaccurate flaws we don't know about to a die hard ghost busters fans.I'm not sticking up for these idiots but I just want to stress if anyone ordered one like myself I'm sure in the end if you want to sell it you will make your money back or maybe double or triple for that matter.I love the box art and was able to see Mattel's imagination on that concept.With all the flaws I really don't don't find anything that bad with it besides the foot pad recessed in the board.You guys have to remember they have to go buy safety standard guidelines when producing the board along with plenty of different model screen used hover boards.I've held the board for quite a while and it's NOT a piece of junk like you all are making it out to be.IT'S A TOY replica and we HAVE TO accept that.We have a right to complain but CMON it's getting a little out of hand now.If Mattel put this out 20 years ago and you still held on to it you probably would be sitting on a goldmine as we speak.Like I said it stinks it's not 100% accurate but for $130 I'm not gonna complain.If it was $249 or $200 for that matter than YES i would be upset to an extent.This is just my opinion :cool

It's crap man.. face it.

Here's the thing. I've got it pre-ordered for two, I'll get two of the mini hoverboards too. I'm probably going to sell one on eBay at a later time, hopefully enough to recoup the cost of the one I'm keeping. I'll probably be selling both of the mini hoverboards too. If I can get this one for less than $50 out of pocket, then I'm okay with that.

Sorry guys, I'm with Pitbull. I already HAVE an accurate HB and I will be happy as a school boy to finally unbox a licensed toy. When you mass produce ANY items, there are just too many factors to keep any item 100% accurate. Not to mention there were 27 boards used in the movie and this was designed as a more idealized version of the prop.

So I am glad I supported the license and look forward to seeing it.

What irritates me is that I ordered based on the behind the marquee video with Lantieri and Gale's alleged involvement. That was a BIG selling point and it's incredibly underwhelming to see NOTHING from their contributions in this product.

Mattel had this board done and locked in BEFORE G&L were brought in for the marketing sizzle to sucker a majority of us for our cash. I can see that now.

Gary

I got a chuckle that on the picture on the outside of the box, the board is drawn with a beveled edge on both bottom AND top. How about that.

Even though it's been proven the top edge of the "hero" boards were rounded and not beveled, I still think it looks weird and unbalanced on the final product.

Sorry guys, I'm with Pitbull. I already HAVE an accurate HB and I will be happy as a school boy to finally unbox a licensed toy. When you mass produce ANY items, there are just too many factors to keep any item 100% accurate. Not to mention there were 27 boards used in the movie and this was designed as a more idealized version of the prop.

So I am glad I supported the license and look forward to seeing it.

27 boards all with the EXACT same magnet and bracket dimensions which they HAD EXAMPLES IN PERSON to measure. Half of which had the EXACT same graphic (which they had). They some how messed that up.

There is no excuse for the horrendous vector of the hoverboard logo either. They could have literally taken a high quality photo of the screen used board they had, cleaned it up, and traced it in illustrator. Just look at Roland example which is incredible.

It's taken 8 months to make and has had literally about 2 days of design work on it.

Even someone on the inside claimed that the new designer they put in charge stated, "I don't need these measurements."

I am sick and tired of all this, "...over 30 boards..." nonsense.

We were promised a screen accurate board and they didn't deliver on the most basic level of "...screen accurate". Yes there a differences between the hero and the stunt, but they didn't even get the details right on either. They looked at a few photo's and went to town. Pure. Laziness.

What irritates me is that I ordered based on the behind the marquee video with Lantieri and Gale's alleged involvement. That was a BIG selling point and it's incredibly underwhelming to see NOTHING from their contributions in this product.

Agree.

The '30 boards' excuse is garbage... none of the 30 boards had font this small. I am using Roland's super accurate graphic to compare:

i7180.png

ge9lj.png

The image below has the angle of Matty's stripes corrected to compare font design. None of the 30 boards had graphics like this...

xNpTw.png

And the most laughable image of all..

UxvqO.png

Last edited:
The '30 boards' excuse is garbage...

You make some good points. I agree that Mattel over emphasized Gale's visit. And yes, a more accurate board would have been preferable, anyone who says otherwise is lying or deserves a job at Mattel's graphic design office. I too don't understand why they took measurements, built that fact up, and then abandoned them. But I TEND to believe there were reasons for these shortcomings rather than just epic failure. But who knows.

I guess my post was more about "ok, it is what it is, so I would rather be happy to receive a toy than poo poo about it."

AND YET WITH ALL THAT SAID. I am still excited to receive it. :lol

Hey Clock88, I had one of these on preorder and Im dissapointed at the inaccuracies but comparing the logos - how certain are you that Roland's is spot on? Mattel did measure the board - did Roland do that too?

Just thought I'd check

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back