MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Re: Mattel Hoverboard

MattyCollector.com Online Store - Welcome
Mattycollector.com website has some kind of hidden clue or message on their homepage. If you move your cursor to the top right corner, the page will peel off to show part of the hoverboard along with the words TEXT. Clicking on that just led to Google.com. Not sure what all this means. Though it is not working anymore, managed to capture this earlier.

matty_page_sm.jpg

Last edited:

Guys not for nothing this the Replica Prop Forum just make the Damn thing more accurate yourself.I'm pre ordering 2 boards.One for my son when he's old enough and one to play with and mod for my collection:love.I love the fact that it's gonna have the hover sounds I mean I'm sold on that alone.I love accuracy and I'm sure if we all put in a little elbow grease with everyone's idea's we will for certain make this bad boy more accurate.

I really think $120 is a fair price.NOBODY'S Boards to date are 100% accurate to the film anyway.I'm really happy 25 years later Bttf is getting this much attention as it is,I just think it's great.

I'm all in :cool

-Mike

I gotta echo Pit's on this. 25 years later and toys/products are still being made of BTTF? i should be so lucky to get a replica of something, not perfect but for me to take to work and mess around with? I could never do that with an "exact" replica.

going to get 2 and hover the crap out of it when it comes.

*side note: did you guys see this? is that normal for pre orders? "Orders may not be modified or cancelled once they are placed."

I love accuracy and I'm sure if we all put in a little elbow grease with everyone's idea's we will for certain make this bad boy more accurate.
I agree. Since this is almost accurate in dimensions, the board indeed could be used as a base to customize your own accurate hoverboard. And I have to say the bottom of the Hoverboard sure looks pretty good, wrong pink color notwithstanding.

Yeah...I am really on the fence about this. Buying one of these is like rewarding your child for doing something wrong.

They are modifying the bottom with the furniture slides so it can be used to glide across the floor. So This is not meant to be screen accurate and I am sure they are not marketing it "as an exact replica". A non issue to me in this case.

The problem is that the lenticular bubble material is not easy to find.

I keep my hoverboard's-worth stored very safely for the day I know I can complete my own board as accurately as I'd want to.

As for Matty's board. Blech! :sick it looks like Barbie's Corvette...or Barbie's body. Cheap, plasticky-looking, and not at all appealing. It really looks like some of the bad boards I've seen on ebay being hocked by kids who downloaded the decal printouts from Backyard FX (The ones that he took from here) and decided to Make a "100% Accurate Back to The Future Screen Used Movie Prop L@@K" to make a quick buck.

I'm holding out hope the real thing looks better, but I just don't think this type of product is Mattel's strong suit despite its name being plastered on it. (by a prop department)

-Nick

That prototype looks terrible.

I don't mean to take this post off topic, but aren't prototypes suppose to look terrible, especially since they're suppose to be the initial starting point of a project before any additional changes are made?

For example, below is the prototype for the Bill action figure from the Bill & Ted line:

prototypebillted004.jpg

The final product Bill figure, in package:

Bill-Front.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, the prototype is not going to be the same as the production model (which could be better or could be worse)

Last edited:

Here's hoping, along with everyone else in this thread, that the final board will have as much improvement from the prototype as that Bill S. Preston figure.

Here's hoping, along with everyone else in this thread, that the final board will have as much improvement from the prototype as that Bill S. Preston figure.

All I'm saying is that the pictures are of the prototype, not of the production line model. I mean, didn't Mattel did good with the Ghostbusters Ghost Trap or what? If many here feel they did, then they shouldn't worry, as I'm sure the original prototype of the Ghost Trap didn't look exactly like the final product either. (I've seen the Ghost Trap in person, and I have to say I was really impressed with the level of detail that Mattel put into it)

Mattel to release fully functional Hoverboard
From Pixel Dan.

"Scott demonstrated the Hoverboard for me at Toy Fair. The "gliding" feature basically works like those pieces of plastic you put under furniture legs to make them easy to move. He slid it across the carpet in the Mattel show room, and it actually worked pretty good. It didn't have electronics in it yet, but he said it'll make the "wooshing" noise from the film when you glide it.

He did also say they are trying to make it so people can stand on it. He said they are aiming for a 200lb weight limit. So hopefully they are able to get that part fixed. Not that you can actually glide on it, of course. But I know people will want to stand on it just because."

Toyguru answered few questions on the Ask Matty forum.

Q:Hi Toyguru,

You guys are pulling me into a hoverboard preorder with that 6" exclusive mini hoverboard!

I have to know before I throw down on a preorder--can a human adult stand on the board? If these are furniture pads, it should be able to move a little with some weight on it. I know it can't float, but how much weight can it support?

Many thanks, and keep up the good work!

-CHV

A: At this point we do not know the weight limit, but it is not designed to carry a human or anything else. It is a prop replica to look and sound cool, not actually hover or move someone.

Q: Are we going to get to see a working sample of the hover board and the 6" scale version before you expect us to pre-order? There don't seem to be any details about either item. Are there any lights or sound? Does either roll or come with a stand? It would be nice to have some more information before we are expected to commit to a $120 purchase.

A: It will make all the sounds it did in the film and will glide over most surfaces. If you have the PKE or Ghost Trap you know the quality you will get. We won't get a working model to show off until sometime late summer. Maybe SDCC.

Q: You're producing a 6" scale Hoverboard. Awesome.
How about some figures to go with that?
Are they still off the table, or is there some hope there?
I appreciate your response.
-SH

A: No plans for figures at this time.

but aren't prototypes suppose to look terrible, especially since they're suppose to be the initial starting point of a project before any additional changes are made?

Not quite. Really, the only difference between the Ted figure there and the final product is paint, and there were undoubtably several paint prototypes of the figure created, as well. Items for retail are a funny thing in that 'prototype' doesn't necessarily correspond with its dictionary definition - occasionally, something you see at Toyfair will be labeled a 'prototype' when it's actually only a mockup, and it's not uncommon for an actual production piece with a little extra paint thrown on by hand to get the same label.

DL4567 said:

All I'm saying is that the pictures are of the prototype, not of the production line model. I mean, didn't Mattel did good with the Ghostbusters Ghost Trap or what? If many here feel they did, then they shouldn't worry, as I'm sure the original prototype of the Ghost Trap didn't look exactly like the final product either. (I've seen the Ghost Trap in person, and I have to say I was really impressed with the level of detail that Mattel put into it)

I agree with you, and hope very much the production hoverboard will be done as well as the PKE meter and ghost trap, both of which I have. They are amazing. Would be interesting to see prototypes of those, and how they differed from the final versions. I'm not the only one complaining in this thread though about the appearance of the hoverboard prototype. Most BTTF fanatics have a very cautious excitement about it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back