MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Someone on ebay is selling full decals with lenticular material and velcro. The top looks accurate, but for some reason the bottom places where it's supposed to be green, look black. It says he has 10 sets available.

The color of the lenticular is pretty bright, but the pattern looks good (Though, "Sinking" instead of "Floating"). The biggest issue is, I think it's shorter than Matty's Board. It's only about a half inch narrower than Mattel's rough measurements, so that should be fine, but it may be too short tip-to-tail.

The lenticular measures 26.5 inches, and Matty's measure is 28 inches.

And the other issue is that the hardware is molded in... Oy. It has potential, though. Thanks for the info, MitasTouch!

The color of the lenticular is pretty bright, but the pattern looks good (Though, "Sinking" instead of "Floating"). The biggest issue is, I think it's shorter than Matty's Board. It's only about a half inch narrower than Mattel's rough measurements, so that should be fine, but it may be too short tip-to-tail.

The lenticular measures 26.5 inches, and Matty's measure is 28 inches.

And the other issue is that the hardware is molded in... Oy. It has potential, though. Thanks for the info, MitasTouch!

The screen used boards varied in many shapes and sizes, some of them were measured to be 29 inches long... so there really is no right answer. The average height and length is 8 x 28.

Also, you have to take into account the edge bevels. I have a replica where the decal measures 7 x 27, but the final board is 8 x 28.

Yep, I know about the bevels. No experience though, so I have no idea how to account for them.

The 1" difference between the decal and board makes sense. In which case this one would be a half inch too big one way, and an inch short the other...

I think adding the lenticular would really add a lot to the Matty board. Of all the inaccuracies with it, it's the one that really sticks out the most. I'm on the side of the fence that likes and will be keeping the board, but i'm still disappointed in the way they handled it - as I know many others are.

It'd be a different story if the final board was presented as the product instead of the hype and misinformation.

Pitbull... how did you get a photo with Bob's replica?

I would have brought some mold making materials and have someone distract him for 20 minutes! :D

One important thing to note: Using a Matty board for your base of an accurate Hero board (because the Hero boards had rounded off top bevels like on Matty's) is soooo much cheaper than getting one CNC routered. It will finish nicer than wood, and will be more durable than foam. Get your styrene and bondo out! :)

I'm still making a CNC one... I bought all of the materials for my screen-accurate stunt board with the exception of seatbelt webbing and a lazy susan, there's no turning back now.

BTTFSpencer, I was thinking, instead of seat belt webbing, it might be vintage lawn chair webbing used on the foot strap. It seems like the look is closer, and it would have been easier/cheaper to purchase when the board was made.

One important thing to note: Using a Matty board for your base of an accurate Hero board (because the Hero boards had rounded off top bevels like on Matty's)

The hero board had rounded off top bevels? I though all of the boards had angled bevels. I guess you learn something new every day.

The hero board had rounded off top bevels? I though all of the boards had angled bevels. I guess you learn something new every day.

Assuming we are still splitting Hero Vs. Stunt as Lenticular vs. Photo, then that's not entirely true. The wooden heros had fillets (round bevels) but the foam hero boards had chamfers. (hard, angled bevels)

The former is part of the evidence fans have that the original wooden hero boards may have actually been real period skateboards with the decals applied.

-Nick

I've just noticed: bttf123* uses my decal graphics for the newest version of his stunt board. This is in principle no problem for me. BUT: My decals are made for everyone. So if anyone of you wants to use them for his own Hoverboard build for sale, please offer it for worldwide shipping so that everyone can benefit from it. Thanks! :)

I've just noticed: bttf123* uses my decal graphics for the newest version of his stunt board. This is in principle no problem for me. BUT: My decals are made for everyone. So if anyone of you wants to use them for his own Hoverboard build for sale, please offer it for worldwide shipping so that everyone can benefit from it. Thanks! :)

I second that!!!

btt123 is really missing a trick not offering shipping overseas , i sell stuff on ebay and find our overseas friends often have some deep pockets :thumbsup

some places can be troublesome..but most civilised places should be cool

Tim (Bttf123) used to ship worldwide but stopped due to boards going missing and other issues, well that's what he told me just after I got my last board from him 2 or 3 years back.

And this is why Roland is the king of the RPF. :lol

Not many people would be so willing to let people profit off of his work and, not only that, but encourage them to sell to a wider market!

Bravo, Roland. You're what this place is all about.

-Nick

PS: Your decal on BTTF123*'s board looks fantastic!

Mine print of Roland's decals were done on a semi-gloss and then laminated. They came out good.

Yes, that's a good idea and comes probably very close to the vintage photo paper of the original (stunt) Hoverboards. Another idea is using Vinyl.

Yes, that's a good idea and comes probably very close to the vintage photo paper of the original (stunt) Hoverboards. Another idea is using Vinyl.

Maybe for a future board. I wanted to keep the costs down on this one. So far this project is about $8 :lol

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back