MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

That looks really close. Remember in the Ketzer photos it looked, not just light, but almost dark maroon/purple.

Tim (BTTF123) made a comment a while back that the correct lenticular is the 3D FLOATING effect, which looks like raised bubbles, as opposed the the 3D SINKING effect, which is about all Rowlux stocks anymore without custom orders. I believe it's made using the same translucent film, but for the sinking effect they bond one side to the solid backing and for the floating effect they bond the opposite side. Was the material you got the sinking type? If so, I wonder if you got the floating variety if the rows would finally run in the correct direction?

As to the color, I think I can get that exact color by taking the backside of the translucent chrome red Rowlux Illusion material I have (dull pink on the backside) and applying it over a white or grey vinyl backing (it looks red when applied over a pink background).

I'll post some pics tonight of the chrome red on top of a white vs. grey background, along with the Passion Pink color and Philippes' lavender material.

Last edited:
Two like-colors next to eachother will make one of them look completely different.
This is a big problem with making this prop; you could have a neon pink board and a pink lenticular graphic and when you put the two together, the graphic will take on a more purplish hue because of how pink the board is.

Two like-colors next to eachother will make one of them look completely different.
This is a big problem with making this prop; you could have a neon pink board and a pink lenticular graphic and when you put the two together, the graphic will take on a more purplish hue because of how pink the board is.

Exactly.

SpyHunter; Would love to see the pics. What I love about the opaque is the center of the honeycombs light up - something I haven't seen with the translucent.

Uud8O.png

Unfortunately no. If you tilt it 45°, then the honeycombs will no longer be vertically arranged (I don't know how to describe it correctly). You should MIRROR the pattern to get the right direction, but that's not possible of course.

But don't worry! It's not a real problem in my opinion. Your board looks great now and very close to the real one.

Ahhh... I see. Thinking about it now, it must have something to do with "sinking" vs. "raised". They must print the reversed side as spy hunter suggested.

Here are the pics as promised.

This is the backside of the Rowlux Illusion 3D translucent chrome red (at right), the backside of the purple lenticular material Philippes sold (at left), and the backside of the Rowlux Illusion Passion (fluorescent) Pink (small sample at top):

angledy.jpg

Another angle:

sidevf.jpg

Now see how differently the material looks when viewed from directly overhead. The colors really pop:

directlyoverhead.jpg

As I mentioned before, using the backside of the translucent 3D sinking chrome red yields a floating effect in a dull pink color almost identical to that of the true material. Also note that the rows run in the correct direction. Since the material is translucent, the final shade can be adjusted slightly to make the pink a bit duller (apply over a light gray backing) or more lavender (apply over a light blue backing).

The 3D translucent chrome red is not a special order color, but it is also not a "stocked" standard order color. It's something in-between, requiring a small lead time and a 300 square foot minimum order.

The 3D translucent chrome red is not a special order color, but it is also not a "stocked" standard order color. It's something in-between, requiring a small lead time and a 300 square foot minimum order.

That would be a lot cheaper than a 10,000 square foot custom run!

BTTF123* made a board for me with this same material a year or two ago, and it looked really good. :thumbsup

... The 3D translucent chrome red is not a special order color, but it is also not a "stocked" standard order color. It's something in-between, requiring a small lead time and a 300 square foot minimum order.

Could you show us a photo of that material with an aluminum foil behind it? I just want to see the metallic effect with that material, because the material Philippes sold looks better with a metallic foil behind it.

I'll try to post some pics tonight. And my thoughts exactly on 300 square feet being cheaper than having to order 10,000.

I was thinking myself that the light pink of the chrome red reverse side still looked a little too light pink, so this morning just before leaving for work I put the reflective light gray backing of one of my other samples underneath it, and the pink color completely changed, becoming darker and a bit closer to the lavender of Philippes' material.

I believe all of Rowlux's solid-backed Illusion 3D films have the same light gray metallized/reflective backing, so we'll see what it looks like with some reflective foil behind it to give it the apperance of a solid-backed/opaque film. Then it will just be a matter of finding the ideal reflective solid backing material (chrome vinyl?) to glue the translucent chrome red to.

Like BTTF123 said, to prevent ruining a perfectly good board, it would be best to glue the material to a backing first and ensure that the glue didn't alter the appearance of the lenses, before then gluing the backed lenticular to a board.

Of course, if Clock88 can get the correct color and effect (floating vs. sinking, assuming Tim's (BTTF123) advice on this point is correct) material in a solid-backed variety, with the rows running in the correct direction, AND at a reasonable cost, whatever he has may still be the best option. Seems he's playing his cards close to the chest. I've said before that I believe that Rowlux refers to the custom color we need as "Barbie Pink" so I suspect his material is a sample from Rowlux of this.

Last edited:
Aren't these boards supposed to be shipping sometime this month? Or at least I thought they were. I pre-ordered one back in the first few hrs of them opening it to the public....any news?

Aren't these boards supposed to be shipping sometime this month? Or at least I thought they were. I pre-ordered one back in the first few hrs of them opening it to the public....any news?

I don't believe they've announced an exact shipping date, besides saying "late November/early December."

Ok, here's some pics of the chrome red with three different backgrounds: bare white countertop, steel sheet, and light gray reflective vinyl:

3backers1.jpg

3backers2.jpg

3backers3.jpg

3backers4.jpg

I think the light gray looks the best. I thought the sheet I had was aluminum at first, but after taking these pics I realized it's steel. I found a piece of aluminum foil, and the effect is somewhere in-between the white countertop and the light grey reflective vinyl. No time to take more pics of the foil. Have to get some sleep.

Looks good. Is that the same pink material you posted pics of earlier? Sure looks more lavenderish on the board.

Yeah it's the same... the stuff is weird. Sometimes it looks like a super dark grey/brown, then orange, then lavender in the sunlight.

Also, I think it looks more lavender because you are comparing it to the hot pink on the board (as stated earlier).

It's wacky.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back