MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Re: Mattel Hoverboard

I can't believe there was only one photo of the prototype other than the ones released by Mattel taken at NYTF!
http://www.therpf.com/f9/mattel-hoverboard-139326/index3.html#post2134495

I truly believe Mattel needs to get in touch with owners of original boards.
If not that, then Universal could help them i.e. if the studio still has some left. Also apparently companies tend to avoid working outside their own teams as it would result in problems in terms of compensation and I am guessing companies can face problems if someone claims ownership of a concept and design implemented in the final product.

Mattel Inc. - Contact Us
Mattel Inc. - Careers
GeneralFROSTY try one of the above links and see if it leads anywhere.

Last edited:

Can you believe people are trying to sell pre-orders on eBay for $225.00 already? Trying to make $100 upfront just to place an order when they start taking orders :lol

Having bought the PKE Meter and the Trap from Matty, I must say I was really excited when I saw they were making the hoverboard. But, yeah, it seems there is no passion here. Plus, all the pics are from the top view; What about a bottom view, to see the magnets ( or namely, the twin round stuff below ) ? This will slide ? How ?
Very surprising from them.

@ Razorsharp192 : I'm eyeing your website for a while now, if you're doing a hero version of the hoverboard, count me in as well. :)

Sadly, I have little confidence in this. I'd like to be proven wrong, but with how well bttf123 nailed his replica, I can't see anything else being better in terms of accuracy.

This replica should have been made ten years ago, back when people had no options for this item. Like I said, too little, too late.

So is there a comprehensive list of inaccuracies... pending someone might have the opportunity to discuss this of course.

@ Razorsharp192 : I'm eyeing your website for a while now, if you're doing a hero version of the hoverboard, count me in as well. :)

Hopefully i'll have some pics in a few weeks :) No one else to date has made their replicas as high quality as mine (and it doesnt look like Mattel will either unfortunately).

I owned the same bttf123 lenticular hoverboard a few months ago, but sold it pretty much instantly after seeing the awful build quality, foam, dents, peeling stickers, wrong colour lenticular (the lenticular strip around the edge wasn't even 1 continuous piece!), foot strap looked like it was made from a piece of spray painted towel, not what you expect from a prop, fancy dress maybe, but not for a prop collector IMO. I don't mean to knock anyone's work as we're all in the same hobby, but when people are claiming his are the best, it's a bit of an insult to be honest.

Last edited:

I personally can't believe how bad mine was from hoverboard.uk.org.........

It didn't even hover! Wtf?!? :facepalm:lol

One of the best presents I have ever had. A true credit to the film and very well built. When I have my 2015 Footwear bag hopefully next week or week after, I have a wicked picture idea in mind that I'll post up here that includes your board. Cheers mate, UK build quality at its best ey ;-)

I personally can't believe how bad mine was from hoverboard.uk.org.........

It didn't even hover! Wtf?!? :facepalm:lol

One of the best presents I have ever had. A true credit to the film and very well built. When I have my 2015 Footwear bag hopefully next week or week after, I have a wicked picture idea in mind that I'll post up here that includes your board. Cheers mate, UK build quality at its best ey ;-)

:D I have actually had someone complain once after receiving a hoverboard that they couldn't get it to work (i'm not even joking either!!) :lol

Glad you like the hoverboard, always good to hear from a happy buyer :thumbsup

Last edited:

I owned the same bttf123 lenticular hoverboard a few months ago, but sold it pretty much instantly after seeing the awful build quality, foam, dents, peeling stickers, wrong colour lenticular (the lenticular strip around the edge wasn't even 1 continuous piece!), foot strap looked like it was made from a piece of spray painted towel, not what you expect from a prop, fancy dress maybe, but not for a prop collector IMO. I don't mean to knock anyone's work as we're all in the same hobby, but when people are claiming his are the best, it's a bit of an insult to be honest.

Agree to that...

I owned one, too, but I sold it, because foam was not the right stuff for me, I like to move it around, change position in the display, move it from on display to another, clean it up from time to time, etc.

I dont know razorsharps boards, but I hope I can do it with one of these boards... But I waill wait for the matty board and take a look first...

:D I have actually had someone complain once after receiving a hoverboard that they couldn't get it to work (i'm not even joking either!!) :lol

Ha ha ha ! Well, I guess I will have a hard time not to launch my hoverboard in front of me, to see if it float. But believing it does work is a longer step... :D

Can't wait to see your pics in a few weeks, then. :)

I will be getting one for sure. Too exciting to own one. Plus $120 is pretty good. They basically said it is a first time they are expecting people to pre-order without actually seeing the product they will be getting.

The gliding is apparently like the furniture moving gliders used to move heavy furniture. I don’t think it is meant to hold a person and glide across, from the sounds of the youtube clip it seems more as a trick to be able to kick it across the room when someone walks in to make it seem like it hovers. But it will do until the hover boards come out in 2015, I can do with it until then :D

Yeah, between the freebie and the lower price, I will jump at this one myself and hope as well Matty improves it from the prototype. They have done an incredible job on the GB gear, hopefully they will do this one justice as well.

i'm really upset with mattel to be honest.. misleading of them to post pictures of the actual prop for their Ad, then to show off a piece of crap for the prototype and pretend that their proud of it?
I mean from the pics of the prototype, do you know how easy that is to make..? the graphics look terrible. I would rather have an un licensed more accurate prop anyday of teh week then something offical that looks like that.

never buy it in a million years regardless if it is mattel or not.

its just not right and not cool of them to reproduce such an important piece of prop history and make it look like that prototype when people are out there making these in house that look 10 times better. UK hoverboard is the best i have seen, BTTF123 own one of his foam boards and while it looks great, it's just still not there. UK Hoverboard is #1 in my book and i'm actually waiting to buy one from them as soon as they use the lenticular holo stuff.. I like their current board, but im really after the holographic look as to the photo non holo stuff.

i just cannot tell you how upset i am with mattel.. they knew people would have high hopes, and if thier going to charge the high price of what their charging then obviously this is not pointed towards a kids market and more of an adult collector market. Wouldn't they think we would be expecting something amazing just like the screen used one?? Then to use screen used photo's for their Ad and then to release a prototype that looks nothing like the original. it looks cheap and the graphics are all wrong... sure it says "Hover Board" and "Mattel" but everything is all wrong. graphics, footpad, footstrap, color, style... im scared to see what the bottom looks like!

well anyways im done venting.
SHAME ON YOU MATTEL!!!
i hope their pre order doesn't do well, because a hoverboard that looks like that, doesn't deserve to be released.

If someone from this forum was making a board that looked like that, everyone would jump on their back and say how un accurate it looks.. But because its offically Mattel, it seems to have sparked some interest on the cool factor that it's actually made by mattel.

Yeah, between the freebie and the lower price, I will jump at this one myself and hope as well Matty improves it from the prototype. ...

Pre-ordering before I can see the finished product is no option for me. That's like buying a pig in a poke. The possibly cheaper price, when I pre-order, also is no reason to buy it at the moment.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back