MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Re: Mattel Hoverboard

No problem. This is one of the props I've spent a good deal of time reseaching since I've been on this board. I've owned four of them (including the razorsharp's board and the early BTTF123 board). The size of the cells on the material Mike posted and the material on the BTTF123 Icons material I posted is the same. 18-19 cells across on the surface of the board. The only thing that's different is the color. Mike's definitely looks more accurate when compared to that screen cap. But there is a screen used hero board on Ketzer and the material looks more pink. So who knows.

The color of the lenticular material seen in what is usually referred to as the "money shot" of the hero version hoverboard is a pale purple/lavender color, and the color sample Mike has looks spot-on to this color.

The problem is that several other scenes during the BTTF II HB chase were filmed with lenticular boards, and the lenticular material does NOT appear nearly as lavender—instead looking much more pink.

So either 1) they used a different shade of lenticular material just for the money shot hero board, or the color of that shot was "off" and made the lenticular appear more purple and washed out than it really was.

Here are the best hi-res pics of hero lenticular boards I've seen on the net. Notice how pink, even REDDISH, the lenticular material appears in real life.

sideei.jpg

toprf.jpg

topopposite.jpg

hoverboardwithshoesatta.jpg

Look at the color of the Mags, the green stripe, and the magenta strap and you'll see that the color of these images hasn't been severely tweaked. And for any claiming that colors could change over the years I would point out two things: 1) colors usually FADE over time—not get darker, and 2) Red dyes are notorious for fading faster/more than other colors, so if anything, the material was probably REDDER back in 1989 when this movie was being made.

Also see how pink/red/magenta the material looks at Ketzer at these links:

Hoverboard movie prop: Marty McFly's Mattel Board

Hoverboard: screen-used Marty McFly's Mattel Hover Board prop

So what color will you try to match? The unique-to-one-shot, or possibly "off" pale purple/lavender color seen in the money shot, the pink look we saw in the rest of the chase, or the redder hue seen in surviving real life boards...?

Last edited:

I thought Mattel was generally very good when it came to props and listening to it's fan. sure they don't create exact replicas (gb stuff), but would it hurt if maybe we sent them information to help them create a better well rounded replica that we could all enjoy?

i just figure, it would help them if someone reached out with information that would help them create something stellar then sub par. who better to than the RPF? we could give them so much information, idk it'd be great if someone from Mattel would see this thread and take notes.

on another note, it be nice if they would be able to do the handlebar, but really, in my mind the board alone is more ideal. maybe the box it comes with? idk what else but 120$ish isn't too bad.

So what color will you try to match?
I would prefer the pink version as that color is more prominent in the films.

Hoverboard, Oh LaLa Prop Auctions : BTTF.com
I had a lengthy discussion about the screen used Hoverboards back in 2008 on the BTTF.com forum and the above link has some screen caps and photos of the screen used hoverboards including a good shot of the lenticular board sold in 2003, which also has the distinct pink color.

Not as psyched as I was for the ghost trap, but for $120, with sound fx and glide pads, made by Mattel themselves, I'll bite.

I would prefer the pink version as that color is more prominent in the films.

Hoverboard, Oh LaLa Prop Auctions : BTTF.com
I had a lengthy discussion about the screen used Hoverboards back in 2008 on the BTTF.com forum and the above link has some screen caps and photos of the screen used hoverboards including a good shot of the lenticular board sold in 2003, which also has the distinct pink color.

do you mean this one? that's not a lenticular board...

profiles-in-history-auction-comic-con-2008-san-diego-back-to-the-future-hoverboard-hr.jpg

Not as psyched as I was for the ghost trap, but for $120, with sound fx and glide pads, made by Mattel themselves, I'll bite.
My thoughts exactly. If I want a super accurate one the option of getting a fan made one is always out there. After all fan made is almost always better than something licensed so we shouldn't be surprised with the inaccuracies. This is more novelty that you can play around with.

Last edited:

That's right! This is a stunt board.

There's a simple way to distinguish between the hero board (left picture) and the stunt board (right picture) without looking at the colors or the pattern:

attachment.php

Nope, check the BTTF.com link I posted, which leads directly to the post with the picture from the April 2003 auction, that appears to be the lenticular board. (Post dated July 30, 2008).

I personally like the foot disk on the prototype, with the straps going through the top of the pad--it seems more secure and practical to me. Also the fact that the disk is green all around, as opposed to the prop and replicas where it's white on the edges. I just want something I can put under my feet while I'm sitting and makes that soothing hover sound, like Marty at the beginning of BTTF3. :)

Nope, check the BTTF.com link I posted, which leads directly to the post with the picture from the April 2003 auction, that appears to be the lenticular board. (Post dated July 30, 2008).

This one? No, that's also a stunt board.

Profiles-in-History-04-26-03-Mattel-Hoverboard.jpg

There's a simple way to distinguish between the hero board (left picture) and the stunt board (right picture) without looking at the colors or the pattern:

attachment.php
But that left picture with the dark pink/reddish lenticular is a replica..right?

This one? No, that's also a stunt board.
Maybe you're right, guess the angle and reflection just makes it look like it's lenticular.

Last edited:

Nope. The pic he posted on the left is a crop from the third pic I posted in my thread above. All of those pics from solecollector.com are of an original surviving hero lenticular board with an original shoe attached. It's the real deal.

Ah..ok, got it.

BTW I already posted my comments on the official Mattel forum, suggesting that Mattel should approach people who have made good replicas or even guys who own screen used hoverboards so that they can borrow it for reference.

I am trying to find the right direct contact to provide them with links to this thread and other suggestions, so that they get the necessary feedback on their prototype. And since GeneralFrosty also has the Icons Hoverboard prototype, I wish Mattel would collaborate with him to get this prop replica right. There are few more months before the production materials get finalized.

Last edited:

Ah..ok, got it.

BTW I already posted my comments on the official Mattel forum, suggesting that Mattel should approach people who have made good replicas or even guys who own screen used hoverboards so that they can borrow it for reference.

I am trying to find the right direct contact to provide them with links to this thread and other suggestions, so that they get the necessary feedback on their prototype. And since GeneralFrosty also has the Icons Hoverboard prototype, I wish Mattel would collaborate with him to get this prop replica right. There are few more months before the production materials get finalized.

This is exactly the kind of thinking we need.
eFX worked with Gino, one of the well-known experts on Vader to consult him on their replica helmet.
I truly believe Mattel needs to get in touch with owners of original boards.
Having Mattel work with bttf123 seams to be a pipe dream though - I can't see them working with someone who has been selling unlicensed replicas for many years - but you never know!
bttf123s boards are the best IMHO - and I'm pretty finicky when it comes to this prop in particular!

is the claim that it glides over most surfaces a bit far fetched? maybe its me but i dont see it gliding along anymore that anything else you would skid along the floor , its not like you will be able to hook your foot in there and wizz around the room

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back