MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Re: Mattel Hoverboard

By the way: this is what the lenticular should look like, to be accurate. It's the pattern of the stunt board, but the hero board should have the same pattern, just lenticular. You see: it's not really honeycambs.

The Icons stuff is the correct pattern. It's highly recognizable because they used to put that same pattern all over notebooks, bookmarks, etc. in the 80's and 90's. Trust me. Trying to compare it to a photograph or scan is moot because the nature of lenticular patterns is that there are several overlapping images with a prismatic lens sheet over them. So only certain parts of the image are visible depending on the angle of view, which gives it the "illusion" of being three dimensional.

What you have there is a bizarre mish mosh of several of the interwoven images.

With the correct lenticular? Oh man, if it's gonna look as accurate as your stunt board replica, then you will have at least one buyer. :D

Once i've tracked down a supplier and got the correct colour yes :) I've got some at the minute, but not enough to do a run (only a couple of hoverboard's worth), here's a pic to show the colour

DSCF1194.jpg

... Trust me. Trying to compare it to a photograph or scan is moot because the nature of lenticular patterns is that there are several overlapping images with a prismatic lens sheet over them. ...

Okay, but explain to me, why the pattern at the photographs of your bttf123's board still looks like honeycambs and the pattern at the photographs of the real one not? If it depends on the angle of view, then try to make a photograph of the bttf123's board, where the pattern look like the one at the original stunt board. If you manage that, then I will believe you. ;)

One of the many delights - and headaches of this prop is nailing down all those little details! So many versions of this prop were made, even choosing color sometimes makes you scratch your head with options.

That photograph (or scan) you posted DOES have the honeycomb cells. Look at each cell. The outer wall is the squashed honeycomb shape. Inside each cell there are 2 little white balls that are reflections from two other angles in the prism. Just look at the image and screen cap that Mike just posted. Those look completely different as well from the photo you posted. But they are ALL the same honeycomb pattern sheet.

One of the many delights - and headaches of this prop is nailing down all those little details! So many versions of this prop were made, even choosing color sometimes makes you scratch your head with options.

I know there are color differences between the stunt and hero boards. For example: it doesn't really bother me, if the stripes are dark or pale green, because I know: they used both in the movie. But the lenticular of the screen used boards (hero AND stunt) looks always the same at every screen shot, auction photo or exhibition photo I had ever seen. And the only one replica, that has the same look like the originals, is razorsharp192's stunt board replica. If it really depends on the angle of view, like Mr. Nagata said, it should be possible to make a PHOTOGRAPH of the replica, that look like a PHOTOGRAPH of the real one.

still looks aweful.

I wonder if they will produce these with the handle bars, the way they were suppose to be.

Can anyone tell if the neon and green strips on there are velcro? Like the original?

I think what's really killing it is the footpad.

Funny, the sign below the board :lol

Anyway, without knowing how that photograph was taken, here is how you can duplicate it (desaturated so as not to be distracted by the color)

32_pattern.jpg

There is a honeycomb shaped wall, a white highlight in the bottom, and two distinct light sources visible within the cell (obviously, if I was using bigger light sources and not my desk lamp, those reflections would be bigger as would the highlight on the bottom.

I don't know about this. It's nice to see this prop get the official treatment, but I still feel it's too late. They are going to have to put something really nice out to get the sales.

Anyway, without knowing how that photograph was taken, here is how you can duplicate it (desaturated so as not to be distracted by the color)

I'm really surprised! You've convinced me. It seems, that it's just the high color saturation and probably the size (seems to be too large) of the honeycambs, that makes it less accurate. Under those conditions I would say, that Mike's lenticular will look accurate. As I can see on his picture, the color and the size of the honeycambs are fine.

This will be a toss up for me, for a "Non working model, that's inaccurate" i would pay $55 with 8$ shipping. Add $60 for 100% accuracy.

But for a Full working hoverboard yeah i'll pay the same price as a car. ha ha

I wonder if they will produce these with the handle bars, ...

I don't believe that. Hmmm, maybe I'm gonna make it myself some day (after buying one of Mike's hoverboards). My older brother is the boss of a metal processing company, so I have the chance to do it there. I have a few good auction pictures of the original handle bars. It's just the exact size I don't know.

attachment.php

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back