MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Read the new response by the design team... this is an absolute disaster. They basically said the looks like model in the display case at SDCC is it.

That's it. I am canceling all my orders.

Wow well that blows what a crappy board this is gonna be uuuuuugh!!!

Um, guys... They said that it would look exactly like it did in the display case at SDCC. The only change is the reflective foil.

Every issue they addressed they seemed to THINK was on the looks-like-model at SDCC in the display case. It obviously isn't.

We are screwed.

No they didn't. They said they will fix some things like the hover and board words spacings, the yellow corner, and maybe (or maybe not, they're looking at it) they will fix the pink footpad strap and the lenticular scale.
Let's wait.

No they didn't. They said they will fix some things like the hover and board words spacings, the yellow corner, and maybe (or maybe not, they're looking at it) they will fix the pink footpad strap and the lenticular scale.
Let's wait.

Read again...

4. As noted in some of the fan post, the spacing on the words “Hover Board” on the top deck are more accurate on the “looks like” model from SDCC, which is what the production version will have.

They are saying that the "looks-like" model at SDCC had those fixes already (the one in the display case).

The tin foil and "pill" scale they will change, but that's about it.

Read again...

4. As noted in some of the fan post, the spacing on the words “Hover Board” on the top deck are more accurate on the “looks like” model from SDCC, which is what the production version will have.

They are saying that the "looks-like" model at SDCC had those fixes already (the one in the display case).

I think they got it confused when writing that. I was the one that made the post saying that the spacings were not right, and that their toyfair looks like model was correct.
They are saying that the production model will have the spacings fixed. They just wrote sdcc instead of toy fair in their post. Or that's what I think and understand, that it will be fixed.

Last edited:
Just to note guys, I messaged them in 2 separate occasions to try and cancel my order, they refused to both times. They said I can refuse to accept the package but I'd be charged to ship it back.

I feel marginally better now. But still not 100% sold. At least they are trying to get the lenticular. I can understand the green velcro issue, and that's an easy fix once in hand.

But still, I do not like that this is being treated as a 'toy', and is subject to certain safty and manufacturing standards. What parent would buy their child a $120 toy that has no play-value whatsoever? Plus it was originally marketed as a replica prop, not a toy, for pete's sake!

With the small number of these being made (compared to a toy you'd see in a store), you'd think they could bill these as collectibles/replicas and hand assemble at least some parts of the product. Which would eliminate the inacurracies they mentioned will be cause by mass production.

We'll all just have to wait till October for them to prove us wrong (I think it's on the same date that pigs are supposed to fly)

Last edited:
I don't like the flat graphics of the stunt board. Why can't Mattel Design consult with Sommers Plastics? Is it a licensing issue to use their honeycomb pattern? Something doesn't add up with the pattern looking so different.

The graphics don't bother me nearly as much as having over-sized hardware on the bottom. Why do the 'magnets' have to be bigger to accommodate the sliding feature? It should work regardless of size. :confused

Well, with Toyguru's response to my thread on AskMatty, I believe Mattel is not out make the Hero board or the Stunt board, but rather a board with a combination of the two. Probably a stunt board with lenticular material...which is something I'm not too thrilled about.

That being said, I'm not really buying what Toyguru says. I don't know what to expect anymore.

Well, with Toyguru's response to my thread on AskMatty, I believe Mattel is not out make the Hero board or the Stunt board, but rather a board with a combination of the two. Probably a stunt board with lenticular material...which is something I'm not too thrilled about.

That being said, I'm not really buying what Toyguru says. I don't know what to expect anymore.

I don't have a problem with them making an amalgam of the boards, but they have stuff on this 'hybrid' board that isn't on ANY of the boards. What the hell?

I don't have a problem with them making an amalgam of the boards, but they have stuff on this 'hybrid' board that isn't on ANY of the boards. What the hell?

Yeah, you're right. If they can fix the foot loop, the graphic accuracy and the magnets, and slap some velcro on there, I would definitely take a hybrid board over a board that's completely half-assed.

I hope if anything else, members here can make and or offer the proper lenticular with professionally printed graphic stickers. That would help take a decent base and make it into something a bit better.

To make things a bit easier to quote and stuff, I copied the designer team post from AskMatty's website to here:

-------

With all the questions about the HB model at SDCC, Bill from design was kind enough to chime in with some details!

1.The final board, like the looks-like from SDCC, DOES have the pink Velcro stripes on the top deck

2.The final board does NOT have the green zig-zag Velcro stripe on the top deck; though we looked at different ways to add it, in the end
to manufacture/assemble it we would need to both add a recessed channel for the Velcro to sit in, and split up the deck label to accommodate
that channel. We cannot attach the Velcro to a smooth top surface and have it pass our quality tests- otherwise we would have done it.
when choosing between no Velcro on the green stripe or cutting the deck label up into multiple small pieces, all with a gap around them, we
elected to deliver the best aesthetic and not have the green Velcro stripe.

3.The footpad disc IS a separate piece on the model we saw, and the stripe on top of it IS Velcro… again, for production we needed to allow for a gap
around the velcro’s recessed channel, which is why the Velcro does NOT run all the way to the edge… this is a manufacturing limitation

4.As noted in some of the fan post, the spacing on the words “Hover Board” on the top deck are more accurate on the “looks like” model from SDCC, which is what the production version will have

5.As noted in some of the fan posts, the yellow area of the top deck label is accurate on the “looks like” model; again, this is what the production version will look like

6.The top deck label DOES have the “pill” texture as shown in the “looks like” model, and we are printing it on foil to heighten the reflective effect, which we have not yet shown to the public (or seen ourselves on a sample). The models we reviewed that Bob Gale brought in did NOT have a lenticularpattern sticker; they featured a PHOTO of whatever the original sticker material that was used on the initial hoverboard model.

7.The footstrap on the foot pad presents a different issue. Although pictures of the hover board used on screen show it as having pink fur, and
we initially had a pink fur strap, we revised it to pink VELCRO hook side out after reviewing with the film makers, who specified this construction.
Although this is a thorny situation and I would not use this information to try to “get us off the hook”, I think we are in a situation similar to 12" Zod- we followed information from the best source for accuracy, but it is NOT accurate to the most commonly known version of the Hover Board
to fans. At this late date, I don’t think we can revise the material without slipping schedule.

8.The scale of the “pill” texture looks big in the photo… We will look to see if we can adjust this in the art.

9.I didn’t see an image in Grant Carden’s post, so I’m not sure about the inaccuracies of the maglev pads and brackets- was he looking at the “works like” or “looks like”? I know we DID measure both elements off of the boards Bob Gale and Michael Lantieri brought in, and revised the sculpt from what we showed at NY Toy Fair to be accurate to what we saw.

Hope this helps to explain where we’re coming from and why we made the decisions we did… a hand- made prop versus a mass- produced production item are two very different things, and unfortunately there are certain challenges and allowance for mass production.

If we CAN address points 7 and 8 above we will certainly do so, but know we are "still making changes” and more to “the demo model was NOT what we’re doing, and the “looks like” model was a MUCH closer representation, though even THAT isn’t completely finalized (foil printing) and there are certain manufacturing allowances (outlined above) that dictate aesthetics” we might move ourselves into a more favorable position.

I know this has been brought up before, but I really can't believe they really went with what Michael Lantieri said instead of going to the pictures for the footstrap. It's so blatantly obvious that it's fur fabric. Oh well...

tl;dr: We're getting the stunt board with reflective foil, no green velcro and no fur fabric.

To make things a bit easier to quote and stuff, I copied the designer team post from AskMatty's website to here:

-------

I know this has been brought up before, but I really can't believe they really went with what Michael Lantieri said instead of going to the pictures for the footstrap. It's so blatantly obvious that it's fur fabric. Oh well...

tl;dr: We're getting the stunt board with reflective foil, no green velcro and no fur fabric.

I don't get it… as someone, who loves prop replica and didn't preorder, why not going the extra mileage to make the recessed velcro channel? I understand, that the fabrication process has its limits, but I as a customer pay 120 bucks for a replica. Mattel promised something it can't fullfill, Mattel said they wanted to make a screen accurate prop replica, what's so hard to translate the "outer shell" from the real prop to a more high quality material replica? Heck, I would even leave out the sound, the gliding feature for the best look of the Hoverboard, it's the icing of the cake not the the dog's bollocks.

I smell a Ferengi scheme: "Sell the sizzle not the steak"

anyone laugh where the matty guy picked up on a posters spelling of calipers ...one word spelled wrong and he picked on it

yet were expected to turn a blind eye to countless child like mistakes on a prop replica thats now a "toy"

Well my friends came through and went over all the boards that they have at the design center. There are all sorts of issues that I would rather not just copy and paste here since a few comments counter what is being said by Mattel over at Matty.

All I can say is that the Mattel Hoverboard will NOT be a true replica of the stunt or hero board. There were production and toy standard modifications that HAD to be made that changed the actual edging of the board, the overall pink color of the board, the way the velcro is attached to the board, thinkness and shape of the bottom parts, etc. These are hard parts or molded in colors that can not change. If you are looking to match this production board to an image of a screen used board then you're going to be frustrated.

That being said I believe this hoverboard is still a very good buy (for its pre-order price) and investment because it comes with decent packaging, is licensed, comes from Mattel, and has some extra bells and whistles that will make the AVERAGE collector happy. I understand we are not average at all here but sometimes things like this need to be viewed from a different perspective. Especially in this case since it is coming from a toy company. At this point I'd even get one only because (as plasmapulse commented) it has a fairly complex story behind it.

If anyone still wants the dirty details please PM me and I will copy and paste from the email I received. Please note however that the designer who made these observations is still employed there and went out of his way (along with a fellow engineer) to covertly hunt down these boards. I'd like to keep this private for obvious reasons and not have it spill out to other forums and Matty.

Dave

Although my much earlier post was hopeful even i'm beginning to get a peaceful uneasy about this, it sounds like they are only concentrating on the graphics side of things and not the board itself, which would mean that the beveled edge, non recessed foot pad, and correct sized mag lev parts will never be seen :(. I can live with the graphic being wrong ( print me a new one and slap it on :) sure no lenticular but otherwise right ). I also hate the idea of the recessed channels for any of the velcro, I understand that maybe their regulations wouldn't allow them to just glue some velcro on but i'd rather have no velcro and a properly molded board and them adding it in an inaccurate way. I can live with no velcro, easy fix anyway, but we are talking about molded in plastic problems here. It would be easier to build a board from scratch than to repair. like i said before, they could make a solid resin board, correct size and shape with proper graphics (heck even if it was only "simulated" lenticular) and still charge the same price they are now and we would be happy, electronics not required.

Although my much earlier post was hopeful even i'm beginning to get a peaceful uneasy about this, it sounds like they are only concentrating on the graphics side of things and not the board itself, which would mean that the beveled edge, non recessed foot pad, and correct sized mag lev parts will never be seen :(. I can live with the graphic being wrong ( print me a new one and slap it on :) sure no lenticular but otherwise right ). I also hate the idea of the recessed channels for any of the velcro, I understand that maybe their regulations wouldn't allow them to just glue some velcro on but i'd rather have no velcro and a properly molded board and them adding it in an inaccurate way. I can live with no velcro, easy fix anyway, but we are talking about molded in plastic problems here. It would be easier to build a board from scratch than to repair. like i said before, they could make a solid resin board, correct size and shape with proper graphics (heck even if it was only "simulated" lenticular) and still charge the same price they are now and we would be happy, electronics not required.

You are correct however they see things differently. Each change they made was probably to increase sales. Now parents can buy them for their children, Mattel can re-issue the board with perhaps different features as a "toy", etc. They also added SOME parts from the hero board to I'm sure "add value" and not really pay attention to whether it would make sense or not from a stunt/hero perspective.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back