MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

... The question for collectors would be A) Lenticular but incorrect type of film OR B) printed authentic pattern like the stunt board. ...

If you ask me: I really like the stunt board more than the hero board (no matter if the lenticular is correct or not). With its darker colors it looks less "childish". But I fear most people prefer the hero board.

I have noted from the beginning Matty's marketing sucks, so I guess it should not be such a surprise.[/QUOTE]

Their marketing and what we used to call their 'hype machine" is actually amazing. Its the follow through that sucks and dumping the projects on over-loaded design and engineering. The marketing budget was simply outstanding and they would constantly fly to Italy to meet with Ferrari....and then go to F1 races. Meanwhile back at the design center...we were wondering how to pay for prototypes.

As you mentioned there is also a shift of priorities and R&D people once focused on doing replica props like this are told to get back to their main lines. Ps...no excuse for what is going on with the BTTF hoverboard.

If you ask me: I really like the stunt board more than the hero board (no matter if the lenticular is correct or not)". But I fear most people prefer the hero board.

As I said on posts before, I don't mind if it's the hero or the stunt board. Both are screen used and "valid". Bob gale showed them 2 stunt boards. Ok, I will be fine with a stunt board, because is as "valid" as a hero board, and if it's shown by Bob Gale, I'll be fine with that.

But what Mattel has done is not a hero nor a stunt board. It's a complete mess.
And their silence and hide-the-head tactic are not getting them much credit. Their attitute is childish.

Just say a word, Mattel, and give the option to cancel the order to those who feel cheated with you product, with the thing you promsied and the thing we're getting.

Last edited:
when mine turns up ill make my mind up, if it isnt to my liking ill simply ebay it - there will be many people not associated with forums like this one who will jump at the chance of having one - esp with the sound effects.

mattel should not be ignoring the forum questions and peoples concerns, but perhaps there silence could mean they are looking into some aspects of it and they could make an annnouncment and reveal proper images and info on what the final board will be looking like nearer its delivery time. all we have seen is sdcc based images and videos. ill reserve final judgement until its in my hands

it seems to me the revealed sdcc board is pretty much the finished item in terms of molded plastic and components, but as many have said the adhesive side of things, velcros etc is such a simple thing to alter, change and update to make it more authentic to what we all expect.

my fingers are still crossed but at the same time im not too excited about it anymore with all its alleged innacuracies.

I'm gonna keep mine so I can recast the magnet parts for my own hoverboard build. Provided if Mattel's magnet parts aren't horribly inaccurate. :lol

I'm gonna keep mine so I can recast the magnet parts for my own hoverboard build. Provided if Mattel's magnet parts aren't horribly inaccurate. :lol

I'm pretty sure it was said they were oversized to accomodate the sliding feature as well as incorrect screw hole detail on the center block, but may still be a decent option.

I'm pretty sure it was said they were oversized to accomodate the sliding feature as well as incorrect screw hole detail on the center block, but may still be a decent option.

Damn, I didn't know it was oversized. That being said, I figured that the center block would be an easy fix, since I could just countersink those "screw details" directly into the casting.

thing is whats the point buying and having to rework most of it

its either accurate or its not ..looks like thats a no then

so may as well start from scratch imo

If you ask me: I really like the stunt board more than the hero board (no matter if the lenticular is correct or not). With its darker colors it looks less "childish". But I fear most people prefer the hero board.

Why do you fear this if you don't mind me asking? The reason I would rather have the Hero board is because I feel like the stunt board was already done pretty well by hoverboard.org.uk (even though your graphic is better! :cool ). You say it looks "childish", but isn't that what it's supposed to be? :lol

By the way, I just sent off my lenticular samples to Dave (auto props) to see if he can get it sourced in China. If Mattel doesn't pull through, I am starting a build thread so we can a perfect hero replica.

I went ahead and color corrected the shots of the board below (I am a color corrector by trade). It's important to note that fluorescent pink will cause a hue shift on 35mm if not white balanced perfectly. Obviously in 1988 not a great deal of care was taken to get perfect shot consistency as computers were not heavily used for color. Sometimes the board will shift between orange and magenta. You can even see this phenomenon on a laptop for yourself... search "fluorescent pink" on google and tilt your screen up and down. It will change from magenta to orange/salmon!

Hero board color corrected (note the underside stripes are naturally more orange hued than the top):

jpKEA.jpg

Last edited:
Why do you fear this if you don't mind me asking? The reason I would rather have the Hero board is because I feel like the stunt board was already done pretty well by hoverboard.org.uk (even though your graphic is better! :cool ). ...

I fear that for the people, because it seems that Mattel's version will be the stunt board. Or something in between both versions.

If Mattel doesn't pull through, I am starting a build thread so we can a perfect hero replica. ...

That's a good idea. Maybe we can make perfect replicas of both versions. I will start a build thread for my stunt board. :)

Hero board color corrected (note the underside stripes are naturally more orange hued than the top): ...

Both stripes, the pink and green ones, on the underside of the hero board differ from the stripes on the upside. The reason is the material: The stripes on the upside are velcro and the underside stripes are vinyl (or something similar).

Both stripes, the pink and green ones, on the underside of the hero board differ from the stripes on the upside. The reason is the material: The stripes on the upside are velcro and the underside stripes are vinyl (or something similar).

Understood... just noting that the hero board underside vinyl stripes (pink ones) are generally more neon orange/pink in hue than the top velcro which is hot pink/magenta. For science! :)

Understood... just noting that the hero board underside vinyl stripes (pink ones) are generally more neon orange/pink in hue than the top velcro which is hot pink/magenta. For science! :)

Yes, and it's the same with the green stripes: The velcro is a light/pale green and the vinyl is a slightly darker neon green.

The response was everything we knew already without answering any of the real issues. Lets hope Matty starts to really respond to the issues of accuracy brought up on other post.

It is good to see a response of some type, now lets see if they say anything of substance in them.

Toyguru did a run around in the GB threads about the easy access/GB prop/lower production numbers. That response sucked big time.

I think everyone here is wrong to want to cancel their order and should enjoy what they get.

I am here to help.

Wow, what a smart *ss and swarmy answer Toyguru gave to all the threads.
"Did you not see the signs this is a prototype model?"

Yeah, we also notice that this one sucked and went backwards. How about a substantive answer.

Confirmed to me that bury your head in the sand rather than address your customer's concerns.

Good PR Matty, you guys know how to sink a ship.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back