MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

No, seriously: I don't want to have a "perfect" looking Hoverboard. I want to have a board that looks like a 20 years old screen used one to have the illusion of owning an original one and not just a replica. Something like that (but WITH footpad, of course):

So you want one that intentionally looks like a piece of ****? I don't think Matty is going to try to produce something that looks like it's pulled out of a garbage pile.

Whats killing me about what we know so far about this is.....

They HAD the real thing, the actual hoverboard to pull measurements, details, everything. They even made that fan video showing off the meeting and proclaiming that fact and making everyone one think, they are going to do it RIGHT. So far it looks like they said.. "yeah we saw the real one, but forget that lets just make a piece of sht instead".

If it comes out looking anywhere close to what they are demo'ing to EVERYONE right now.. they should be ashamed of themselves.

This thing is not the hardest prop in the world to replicate right, especially given their resources and access to the real thing.

There should be no one here giving them any ounce of slack on this one.

There seems to be a ray of hope here everyone...

In the following video, Trisha mentions that the SDCC hoverboard is a "works-like model".

The 404 - Back to the Future with the Mattel hoverboard - YouTube

On the website below, it says the following about a "works-like model" VS a "looks-like model".

"A common strategy in product development is to create separate models that look like the final product (with little to no intended functionality) and that work like the final product (bearing little-to-no resemblance to the intended final product).

https://dschool.stanford.edu/groups/k12/wiki/e7aa3/Looks_likeWorks_like.html

Let's just hope this is true and this hoverboard bears little to no resemblance to the final!

:facepalm

Also, for anyone interested - I photoshopped one of the actually lenticular prop boards to look like it was the Matty Collector product wrapped in plastic with COA (for fun). Sad to know it will probably never look like this. :(

tbb4O.png

Also, for anyone interested - I photoshopped one of the actually lenticular prop boards to look like it was the Matty Collector product wrapped in plastic with COA (for fun). Sad to know it will probably never look like this. :(

tbb4O.png

Honestly that's just going to add to confusion as representing something that isn't the case.

And then there is this one without any lenticular design pattern and looking very cheap. I like the packaging box, it's like they said they want it to be like a toy sold in 2015 for kids.

Overall very disappointed with these prototypes. All the goodwill Mattel earned with their behind the scenes videos and interviews is fading off.

HoverboardGirl.jpg

isnt the box art wrong , as the child in the movie had scooter handle bars that marty ripped off , hence the hole in the front?

i really dont get that sliding "effect" either...a cardboard box or saucepan will slide 2 feet along a smooth surface lol

id have made the box showing the movie spec board with bars like the child has , mark it up bars sold seperate or something...but its a fantasy peice anyhow , box says hoverboard and it doesnt hover either

It'd be fine if they put a note on the box, "handlebars sold separately". With an asterisk next to it saying not really.

If this is just a works like model, than Mattel made an empty promise a few months ago when they said a final, or near final product would be shown at sdcc. And that burns me right there.

I saw this in persona nd got to hold the protoype. IT SUCKS!!!

The "hovering" technology is stupid. It barely moved 3 feet. It's VERY heavy for the size and the footpad is raised up about 1/4" while other parts were recessed.

VERY DISSAPOINTED! :cry

I saw this in persona nd got to hold the protoype. IT SUCKS!!!

The "hovering" technology is stupid. It barely moved 3 feet. It's VERY heavy for the size and the footpad is raised up about 1/4" while other parts were recessed.

VERY DISSAPOINTED! :cry

To be clear, did you handle the one that was being demonstrated on the table, or the one behind the glass? There were two DIFFERENT types of prototypes there.

To be clear, did you handle the one that was being demonstrated on the table, or the one behind the glass? There were two DIFFERENT types of prototypes there.

I held the one that the booth babe had but the only difference between the two was the "lenticular bubble" detail.

it is shamefull when folk have made way better replicas at home with very limited resources , and the guy that was making boxes too that looked more beliveable

looks like a $15 kids toy not a quality replica

Last edited:
My buddy got to see this in person at the con. His initial impression of it after seeing it was pretty bad. Forwarded me a recent email from mattycollector and they refused his contact to cancel his preorder so it looks like anyone who already preordered are in it for the long haul. You can refuse to accept the package or pay to return it back to them, either way, you will be forced to pay shipping back to them.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back